A private King Air C90 Crashes in Mumbai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A private King Air C90 Crashes in Mumbai

A 26-year-old charter aircraft, registered as VT-UYZ, on its way to a landing at Juhu aerodrome during a test flight, crashed into open space near a construction site in the crowded Mumbai r on Thursday afternoon, killing all four crew members and a laborer on the ground.

Both pilots, Capt Pradeep Rajput and Capt Maria Zuberi, along with aircraft maintenance engineer Surabhi Gupta and junior technician Manish Pandey died on the spot. A construction laborer, Govind Dubey, was killed in the fire that broke out when the jet fuel tank exploded.

The aircraft was on a test flight after being on the ground for about 9 years. The pilots did not give any distress calls before the tragic incident. The aircraft had also met a serious crash in 2009 at Allahabad and had been on ground since that time. “It was owned by the UP government and the cabinet decided to dispose it of than spend heavily to repair it,” said a former UP government official. The aircraft was finally sold in 2014—after three unsuccessful auctions— to a Pune-based company, which then sold it to Mumbai-based U Y Aviation Pvt Ltd, its current owner.

“Though we have ownership of the aircraft, it was under the care of Indamer company. The aircraft was not yet handed over to us, it did not have a certificate of airworthiness,’’ said Chauhan. The safety wing of DGCA is still undergoing necessary investigations to know the exact cause of the crash.

Originally posted by janamparikh View Post
    A 26-year-old charter aircraft, registered as VT-UYZ, on its way to a landing at Juhu aerodrome during a test flight, crashed into open space near a construction site in the crowded Mumbai r on Thursday afternoon, killing all four crew members and a laborer on the ground.

Both pilots, Capt Pradeep Rajput and Capt Maria Zuberi, along with aircraft maintenance engineer Surabhi Gupta and junior technician Manish Pandey died on the spot. A construction laborer, Govind Dubey, was killed in the fire that broke out when the jet fuel tank exploded.

The aircraft was on a test flight after being on the ground for about 9 years. The pilots did not give any distress calls before the tragic incident. The aircraft had also met a serious crash in 2009 at Allahabad and had been on ground since that time. “It was owned by the UP government and the cabinet decided to dispose it of than spend heavily to repair it,” said a former UP government official. The aircraft was finally sold in 2014—after three unsuccessful auctions— to a Pune-based company, which then sold it to Mumbai-based U Y Aviation Pvt Ltd, its current owner.

“Though we have ownership of the aircraft, it was under the care of Indamer company. The aircraft was not yet handed over to us, it did not have a certificate of airworthiness,’’ said Chauhan. The safety wing of DGCA is still undergoing necessary investigations to know the exact cause of the crash.

So glad you let us know about this. Not like it has not been on every major news outlet across the globe. But you just keep on doing what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      So glad you let us know about this. Not like it has not been on every major news outlet across the globe. But you just keep on doing what you do.
      Jakpradmptabutah:

Apologies- while I have much interest in crashes that occur very near to me, the rest of the Internet tends not to share that interest...

FWIW- a King Air based very close to me once mistakenly took off from an uncontrolled airport with intersecting runway with 1) their radio apparently turned down and 2) with lousy traffic announcements.

It collided with a well-loaded Beech 1900, landing on an intersecting runway, and unfortunately many people did died.

As far as swiss cheese, a third, light aircraft replied to the Beechcraft that HE was holding short, and the Beech pilots likely thought it was the King Air holding short.

Further debate was that the Beech did not land on "THE" active runway, but arguably blew into the pattern doing it's own thing...arguably.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Jakpradmptabutah:

Apologies- while I have much interest in crashes that occur very near to me, the rest of the Internet tends not to share that interest...

FWIW- a King Air based very close to me once mistakenly took off from an uncontrolled airport with intersecting runway with 1) their radio apparently turned down and 2) with lousy traffic announcements.

It collided with a well-loaded Beech 1900, landing on an intersecting runway, and unfortunately many people did died.

As far as swiss cheese, a third, light aircraft replied to the Beechcraft that HE was holding short, and the Beech pilots likely thought it was the King Air holding short.

Further debate was that the Beech did not land on "THE" active runway, but arguably blew into the pattern doing it's own thing...arguably.

Not to freak you out or anything but, you are starting to post like our German friend.

Comment

Not to freak you out or anything but, you are starting to post like our German friend.
          Yes.

I have long had the ability to be a little bit off-the-wall. Scarier yet, LH-747 seems to have become a forum friend of mine.

That being said, if you are familiar with the incident I reference, I believe you can follow my comments, First informing Jakpradmtabutah that, unfortunately, people do not care all that much about private crashes that happen far away.

I then transition to a Beechcraft incident that was much closer to where I live...and an incident sadly laden with a number of layers of Swiss cheese.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Shall surely keep sharing more :P

Comment

Working...
            X