Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The headlines never stop giving...(apparently I used this title before).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The headlines never stop giving...(apparently I used this title before).

Originally posted by The Media
    United flight aborts takeoff at Phoenix airport: 'Pilot slammed on the brakes,' passenger says
    Um yeah...I suppose that's part of the memory checklist.

And I thought United was ALREADY on everyone's no-fly list. I'm sure gate agents and security physically abused all the passengers and told them 1. No refund, and 2. Take the bus.

Evan, were procedures followed properly and good customer service used afterwards?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Um yeah...I suppose that's part of the memory checklist.

And I thought United was ALREADY on everyone's no-fly list. I'm sure gate agents and security physically abused all the passengers and told them 1. No refund, and 2. Take the bus.

Evan, were procedures followed properly and good customer service used afterwards?

Are you questioning the "slamming on of the brakes" ? Because if you are, it was probably automatic. Auto-brake setting for take-off, RTO. Rejected take-off, all automatic and pretty hefty braking.

Comment

Depends. Was it due to high cycle fatigue intergranular corrosion cracking or just a right main shimmy damper thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Depends. Was it due to high cycle fatigue intergranular corrosion cracking or just a right main shimmy damper thing?

Sometimes I am not sure if I am just old and don't get the two of your jokes, or you two are really just a couple of kids.

Comment

Complaining about the brakes being slammed on eh ?

Perhaps Sir would prefer to go through the fence and end up going through various buildings on the way to a fiery end on the Interstate 10 ?
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Complaining about the brakes being slammed on eh ?

Perhaps Sir would prefer to go through the fence and end up going through various buildings on the way to a fiery end on the Interstate 10 ?
            Us old guys still know a thing or two don't we Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              Sometimes I am not sure if I am just old and don't get the two of your jokes...
              Sometimes, the humor is sophomoric, but yes, you tend to have a perception problem.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Sometimes, the humor is sophomoric, but yes, you tend to have a perception problem.
                Funny, I have a 29 year old son, I don't seem to have a problem understanding him. Maybe it's because I have a really bright kid.

Comment

now now boys. let's all play together nicely.

i've never experienced an aborted takeoff, despite having flown countless 1000's of flights. i guess i'd be pretty much taken by surprise since i'm usually deep into music and quite relaxed during takeoff. i love the acceleration. so i'd probably be thrown violently forward and may even smack my face against the seat in front of me (not tall enough to hit the bulkhead). can't say i'd be jumping for joy, but like Brian says, beats a firery ending every time.

Comment

Guys, 3WE is making fun of the article that sort of highlights in awe that the pilot applied brakes intensely during the rejected take-off.
                    No kidding. Next you will say that he extended the spoilers too.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Guys, 3WE is making fun of the article that sort of highlights in awe that the pilot applied brakes intensely during the rejected take-off.
                      No kidding. Next you will say that he extended the spoilers too.
                      When in fact he probably just retarded the thrust levers to idle. Which should probably be highlighted in awe when done above the 80/100kt call unless something very serious was going seriously wrong. No info on the type or the reason. Strange, Fox News is usually so reliable with the facts.....

Comment

Correction: A 739. Reason: "a warning light".

All's well that ends well.

Comment

When in fact he probably just retarded the thrust levers to idle.
                          And by doing so he extended the spoilers and applied brakes intensely (oh and reduced thrust too, retarding the thrust levers also does that)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Which should probably be highlighted in awe when done above the 80/100kt call unless something very serious was going seriously wrong.
                            About 143 knots ground speed. No wonder they needed to brake intensely.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              About 143 knots ground speed. No wonder they needed to brake intensely.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ba88cd7&opt=0
                              Again, the braking in this situation is fully automatic. You cannot override the RTO auto-brakes. It is a great Boeing system, and has been working well for many years now. Now that I reread the avherald article I would say although I do not have brake cooling charts for that aircraft, that at least 1 hour of the 3 hour delay was for brake cooling.

Comment

Working...
                              X