Thread: efeberkealici - Editing Advise

Default efeberkealici - Editing Advise

Hello everyone! I need some help about contrast rejections. I couldn't understand the way how it works so I'm asking here. I have 3 photos rejected because of contrast problems. Can you help me to how to set "true" contrast. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44744_1530480688.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	822.2 KB 
ID:	17012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64745_1530478983.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	17013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94617_1530479774.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	827.8 KB 
ID:	17014

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Quote Originally Posted by efeberkealici View Post
    Hello everyone! I need some help about contrast rejections. I couldn't understand the way how it works so I'm asking here. I have 3 photos rejected because of contrast problems. Can you help me to how to set "true" contrast. Thanks!

Name:	44744_1530480688.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	822.2 KB 
ID:	17012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64745_1530478983.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	747.4 KB 
ID:	17013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94617_1530479774.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	827.8 KB 
ID:	17014
    No direct light/overcast skies and a bright background will always be very difficult to get accepted. You can try playing around with the levels with new edits, but honestly the easiest thing to have a better chance at acceptance would be to try again with different images with better light conditions. Of these three, only the second one looks fixable, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    No direct light/overcast skies and a bright background will always be very difficult to get accepted. You can try playing around with the levels with new edits, but honestly the easiest thing to have a better chance at acceptance would be to try again with different images with better light conditions. Of these three, only the second one looks fixable, imho.
    Got it but what I mean to say is how can you understand the problem? I can't cause I don't know the problem. I read the guideline but that doesn't make sense to me. What's the criteria? Please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to learn your upload standarts. Secondly, you said second one can be fixable. What's the solution for that? Thanks again and sorry for taking your time!

Got it but what I mean to say is how can you understand the problem? I can't cause I don't know the problem. I read the guideline but that doesn't make sense to me. What's the criteria? Please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to learn your upload standarts. Secondly, you said second one can be fixable. What's the solution for that? Thanks again and sorry for taking your time!
    Hi. I'm not a screener but I can give you some advice on how to get good contrast. I don't know what time of the day you shot your photos or which direction you were looking but the easiest way would be to shoot with the sun behind you which would allow you to get good contrast. As the screener has pointed out, the likely issue with your photos is that you shot them in poor light conditions, likely on an overcast day with no direct light, which makes it difficult to get good contrast.

The second image does indeed look fixable. You can do that in the program you use to edit your photos by increasing the contrast with the contrast slider. You don't need to increase by much. Just enough to get a bit more shadow under the aircraft's fuselage and the wings while the rest remains relatively bright.

Hope my input helps. All the best.

JetPhotos.Net Crew

The criterium in this case is the aircraft should not look washed out against the sky as they do in your images. Better weather conditions should yield better results.

I agree with the above comments from previous posters. When I first started with aviation photography (5+ years ago) contrast was something which I found rather difficult. As previous posters have stated, photographing in better weather conditions with the sun behind you will greatly improve the quality and lighting of the photographs. In my opinion the first and secoand photographs are looking to be the better attempts, however, will still need "fixing". If you are using photoshop there is a good addin from Google called "Nik Collection" (free) which contains some very good tools to improve the image. Also if you are not already, take your photographs in RAW mode insted of JPEG as RAW retains more image data than JPEG.

Hope I have helped

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Pta Aviation View Post
    Hi. I'm not a screener but I can give you some advice on how to get good contrast. I don't know what time of the day you shot your photos or which direction you were looking but the easiest way would be to shoot with the sun behind you which would allow you to get good contrast. As the screener has pointed out, the likely issue with your photos is that you shot them in poor light conditions, likely on an overcast day with no direct light, which makes it difficult to get good contrast.

The second image does indeed look fixable. You can do that in the program you use to edit your photos by increasing the contrast with the contrast slider. You don't need to increase by much. Just enough to get a bit more shadow under the aircraft's fuselage and the wings while the rest remains relatively bright.

Hope my input helps. All the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    The criterium in this case is the aircraft should not look washed out against the sky as they do in your images. Better weather conditions should yield better results.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorton View Post
    I agree with the above comments from previous posters. When I first started with aviation photography (5+ years ago) contrast was something which I found rather difficult. As previous posters have stated, photographing in better weather conditions with the sun behind you will greatly improve the quality and lighting of the photographs. In my opinion the first and secoand photographs are looking to be the better attempts, however, will still need "fixing". If you are using photoshop there is a good addin from Google called "Nik Collection" (free) which contains some very good tools to improve the image. Also if you are not already, take your photographs in RAW mode insted of JPEG as RAW retains more image data than JPEG.

Hope I have helped

Chris
    Thanks everyone! Noted every suggestions and tips. I hope I'll get better results!

Can you pre-screen this please?

Name:	IMG_7197-Edit-Edit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	17277

Can you pre-screen this please?

Name:	IMG_7197-Edit-Edit.jpg 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	17277
    This will not be the photo you will upload (watermark). Please upload the final photo you plan to upload, thanks.

Name:	VP-BBR.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	17287

Name:	VP-BBR.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	17287
    Backlit, soft, lacking contrast (dull aircraft, pitch black shadows lacking details, washed out background)

Please pre-screen these
    Thanks

Name:	IMG_7222-Edit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	545.3 KB 
ID:	17310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7248-Edit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	17311

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Please pre-screen these
    Thanks

Name:	IMG_7222-Edit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	545.3 KB 
ID:	17310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7248-Edit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	17311
    Both would be rejected for soft, and possible contrast.

Name:	IMG_7231-Edit.jpg 
Size:	481.5 KB 
ID:	17333
    Can you pre-screen? thanks

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Name:	IMG_7231-Edit.jpg 
Size:	481.5 KB 
ID:	17333
    Can you pre-screen? thanks
    Borderline for (low) contrast.

Red face efeberkealici - Prescreening

Hello everybody! I would really appreciate your efforts in my photos' prescreening. It would be awesome, if you also include if it's solvable, recommendations on editing and other things that will help me to be better. Thanks to all users and screeners.

Name:	Başlıksız-1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	27530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VQ-BAR.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	27531

- Virgin's tail looks abit blur and soft
    - Is there like a flare or some kind of window glare on the A320? im not sure if that's acceptable

this is based on my own opinions though, im not sure if its credible enough.

JetPhotos.Net Crew speedbird707's Avatar

1. Virgin looks a little dark and is soft/blurry around the flightdeck and the tail fin

2. The A 320 aircraft looks a little soft and perhaps a little over processed, the glare is causing problems to the edge of the logo
    Regards,
    Darryl

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I don't have another shot of the 787 but for 320, I do.
    Can you also check this, thanks. If there is a problem, please also inform if it's fixable.

Name:	VQ-BAR2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	489.4 KB 
ID:	27673

Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar

hello,
    Shadow shows the picture is actually backlit so no, I'm afraid it's not fixable

Regards
    Alex