efeberkealici - Editing Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• efeberkealici - Editing Advise

Hello everyone! I need some help about contrast rejections. I couldn't understand the way how it works so I'm asking here. I have 3 photos rejected because of contrast problems. Can you help me to how to set "true" contrast. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	44744_1530480688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	822.2 KB
ID:	1045673Click image for larger version

Name:	64745_1530478983.jpg
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	1045674Click image for larger version

Name:	94617_1530479774.jpg
Size:	827.8 KB
ID:	1045675

Originally posted by efeberkealici View Post
    Hello everyone! I need some help about contrast rejections. I couldn't understand the way how it works so I'm asking here. I have 3 photos rejected because of contrast problems. Can you help me to how to set "true" contrast. Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17014[/ATTACH]
    No direct light/overcast skies and a bright background will always be very difficult to get accepted. You can try playing around with the levels with new edits, but honestly the easiest thing to have a better chance at acceptance would be to try again with different images with better light conditions. Of these three, only the second one looks fixable, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      No direct light/overcast skies and a bright background will always be very difficult to get accepted. You can try playing around with the levels with new edits, but honestly the easiest thing to have a better chance at acceptance would be to try again with different images with better light conditions. Of these three, only the second one looks fixable, imho.
      Got it but what I mean to say is how can you understand the problem? I can't cause I don't know the problem. I read the guideline but that doesn't make sense to me. What's the criteria? Please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to learn your upload standarts. Secondly, you said second one can be fixable. What's the solution for that? Thanks again and sorry for taking your time!

Comment

Got it but what I mean to say is how can you understand the problem? I can't cause I don't know the problem. I read the guideline but that doesn't make sense to me. What's the criteria? Please don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to learn your upload standarts. Secondly, you said second one can be fixable. What's the solution for that? Thanks again and sorry for taking your time!
        Hi. I'm not a screener but I can give you some advice on how to get good contrast. I don't know what time of the day you shot your photos or which direction you were looking but the easiest way would be to shoot with the sun behind you which would allow you to get good contrast. As the screener has pointed out, the likely issue with your photos is that you shot them in poor light conditions, likely on an overcast day with no direct light, which makes it difficult to get good contrast.

The second image does indeed look fixable. You can do that in the program you use to edit your photos by increasing the contrast with the contrast slider. You don't need to increase by much. Just enough to get a bit more shadow under the aircraft's fuselage and the wings while the rest remains relatively bright.

Hope my input helps. All the best.

Comment

The criterium in this case is the aircraft should not look washed out against the sky as they do in your images. Better weather conditions should yield better results.

Comment

I agree with the above comments from previous posters. When I first started with aviation photography (5+ years ago) contrast was something which I found rather difficult. As previous posters have stated, photographing in better weather conditions with the sun behind you will greatly improve the quality and lighting of the photographs. In my opinion the first and secoand photographs are looking to be the better attempts, however, will still need "fixing". If you are using photoshop there is a good addin from Google called "Nik Collection" (free) which contains some very good tools to improve the image. Also if you are not already, take your photographs in RAW mode insted of JPEG as RAW retains more image data than JPEG.

Hope I have helped

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Pta Aviation View Post
              Hi. I'm not a screener but I can give you some advice on how to get good contrast. I don't know what time of the day you shot your photos or which direction you were looking but the easiest way would be to shoot with the sun behind you which would allow you to get good contrast. As the screener has pointed out, the likely issue with your photos is that you shot them in poor light conditions, likely on an overcast day with no direct light, which makes it difficult to get good contrast.

The second image does indeed look fixable. You can do that in the program you use to edit your photos by increasing the contrast with the contrast slider. You don't need to increase by much. Just enough to get a bit more shadow under the aircraft's fuselage and the wings while the rest remains relatively bright.

Hope my input helps. All the best.
              Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
              The criterium in this case is the aircraft should not look washed out against the sky as they do in your images. Better weather conditions should yield better results.
              Originally posted by cmorton View Post
              I agree with the above comments from previous posters. When I first started with aviation photography (5+ years ago) contrast was something which I found rather difficult. As previous posters have stated, photographing in better weather conditions with the sun behind you will greatly improve the quality and lighting of the photographs. In my opinion the first and secoand photographs are looking to be the better attempts, however, will still need "fixing". If you are using photoshop there is a good addin from Google called "Nik Collection" (free) which contains some very good tools to improve the image. Also if you are not already, take your photographs in RAW mode insted of JPEG as RAW retains more image data than JPEG.

Hope I have helped

Chris
              Thanks everyone! Noted every suggestions and tips. I hope I'll get better results!

Comment

Can you pre-screen this please?

Name:	IMG_7197-Edit-Edit.jpg
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	1029250

Comment

Can you pre-screen this please?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17277[/ATTACH]
                  This will not be the photo you will upload (watermark). Please upload the final photo you plan to upload, thanks.
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Name:	VP-BBR.jpg
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	1029259

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17287[/ATTACH]
                      Backlit, soft, lacking contrast (dull aircraft, pitch black shadows lacking details, washed out background)
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Please pre-screen these
                        Thanks

Name:	IMG_7222-Edit.jpg
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	1029274Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7248-Edit.jpg
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	1029275

Comment

Please pre-screen these
                          Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17311[/ATTACH]
                          Both would be rejected for soft, and possible contrast.

Comment

Name:	IMG_7231-Edit.jpg
Size:	481.5 KB
ID:	1029291
                            Can you pre-screen? thanks

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17333[/ATTACH]
                              Can you pre-screen? thanks
                              Borderline for (low) contrast.