pre-screen photos at dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thx. Probably I need to start working with layers, isolating the plane and working on new tons,colours just in the sky.
    I would actually advise less editing is the way to go, since overediting is what is causing you problems already.

how about this one ?
    A touch dark, but otherwise ok.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      I would actually advise less editing is the way to go, since overediting is what is causing you problems already.

A touch dark, but otherwise ok.
      Thx dlowwa

#I would actually advise less editing is the way to go, since overediting is what is causing you problems already.

I see. Which make all the sense... the photo should stands by itself and not because of good PS skills... but a bit of sharpen is always needed
      Anyway, I'm starting to apply another type of workflow... after selecting the sharpen photos out of the camerea. I apply then then crop and resize to jpg .... no additional processing.
      If the end result isn't reasonable, I don't consider it.

I start to see that the halos and low contrast can be already there out of the camera...so it's very difficult to correct them and other issues later.
      One other thing is the compression / jpeg artifacts.... that can be more visible or not... just because you crop one bit left or rigth.
      Sometimes, just changing the aspect ratio 3:2 / 16:9... will introduce /reduce artifacts.

So, yeh, it's an adventure to get the best end result.

How about now, enough light ?

thx again

/rgds
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks acceptable to me.

Comment

Looks acceptable to me.
          Thx dlowwa

how about these ?

/rgds
          Attached Files

Comment

Thx dlowwa

how about these ?

/rgds
            1. borderline overprocessed
            2-4 overprocessed, borderline contrast/color

Comment

1. borderline overprocessed
              2-4 overprocessed, borderline contrast/color
              Thx dlowwa

I'm struggling a little bit, with the borderline contrast/color issue.
              Is this because of a clear visible border line , usually in white/clear color ?
              or because a sky color not much different from the plane colors ?

Here's a version with no editting whatsoever.... just convert raw to jpeg and resize to 1280.
              Does this shows/manifests borderline contrast/color ?

One other question, is this problem usually workable with processing ? or is better to move to another picture ?

thanks again for your time and help

/rgds
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's another example... also no processing. However in this case... there's a clear white line below the body.... looking closer... we can see a mix of an artifact , plus some real light reflection.
                So the question is : is this recoverable ? or should I aim for clean photos to start with ?

thx again
                /rgds
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's a version with no editting whatsoever.... just convert raw to jpeg and resize to 1280.
                  Does this shows/manifests borderline contrast/color ?
                  /rgds
                  There are two clearly different images here. Are they both with no editing?

Here's another example... also no processing. However in this case... there's a clear white line below the body.... looking closer... we can see a mix of an artifact , plus some real light reflection.
                  Again, there are two images here. Which one are you asking about?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. The idea was to show the processed and non processed versions.

Here's then just the two non processed photos.

/rgds
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. The idea was to show the processed and non processed versions.

Here's then just the two non processed photos.

/rgds
                      Neither of these images have problems with halos/bad processing.

Comment

Neither of these images have problems with halos/bad processing.
                        Thx dlowwa

I believe I've identified the root cause of the problem and how to avoid/solve it.

Basically I'm doing a layer mask to apply a HighPass filter in order to sharpen the image
                        I'm applying the filter , by "paint" just some zones...which basically are the complete plane.

After some tests, I realized that when the painting is applyed to the edges of the plane ...introduces a borderline with a dark color...so I'm assuming this is the borderline you mention.

As such, I'm applying now the filter just to interior areas of the plane.

Here's then the new photos processed in such a way, are they acceptable now ?

/rgds
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by a.m.; 2018-08-24, 14:04. Reason: replace photos

Comment

Thx dlowwa

I believe I've identified the root cause of the problem and how to avoid/solve it.

Basically I'm doing a layer mask to apply a HighPass filter in order to sharpen the image
                          I'm applying the filter , by "paint" just some zones...which basically are the complete plane.

After some tests, I realized that when the painting is applyed to the edges of the plane ...introduces a borderline with a dark color...so I'm assuming this is the borderline you mention.

As such, I'm applying now the filter just to interior areas of the plane.

Here's then the new photos processed in such a way, are they acceptable now ?

/rgds
                          'Borderline' is used as an adverb meaning 'nearly' or 'almost', in other words the image may be rejected for that issue, or it may not. Thus, you could have 'borderline centering' (may be rejected for centering, or may not be) just as easily as you could have 'borderline color' (color may or may not be an issue). It is not a specific feature or characteristic of the image itself.

If you're looking for 'borderlines' as an actual feature of the image, you will not find any. Sharpening with masks will not cause the types of halos present in some of the images you have posted.

Comment

'Borderline' is used as an adverb meaning 'nearly' or 'almost', in other words the image may be rejected for that issue, or it may not. Thus, you could have 'borderline centering' (may be rejected for centering, or may not be) just as easily as you could have 'borderline color' (color may or may not be an issue). It is not a specific feature or characteristic of the image itself.

If you're looking for 'borderlines' as an actual feature of the image, you will not find any. Sharpening with masks will not cause the types of halos present in some of the images you have posted.
                            Thx dlowwa

#just as easily as you could have 'borderline color' (color may or may not be an issue).
                            That was the borderline I was thinking.

#Sharpening with masks will not cause the types of halos present in some of the images you have posted.
                            yes, so far I was been able to identify halos associated with clarity, luminance and other processing.... but I now believe I'm able to see them.
                            I'm now using a different approach to remove shadows... applying just locally in a layer...therefore not changing/forcing all image "shadows".
                            ( I don't have PS, to handle it automatically )

How about the two photos, do they look ok now. ?

/rgds

Comment

How about the two photos, do they look ok now. ?
                              First is a bit high, and the second a bit flat. Otherwise should be ok.

Comment

First is a bit high, and the second a bit flat. Otherwise should be ok.
                                Thx dlowwa

/rgds

Comment

Working...
                                X