pre-screen photos at dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Images are all dark, and borderline overprocessed.
    Thx dlowwa

dark ? ok. got it.
    How about this one (new camera, new lens, new spot position) ?

/rgds
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by a.m. View Post
      Thx dlowwa

dark ? ok. got it.
      How about this one (new camera, new lens, new spot position) ?

/rgds
      This one is backlit. You need to take the photos with the sun behind you, better try another location.

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
        This one is backlit. You need to take the photos with the sun behind you, better try another location.

Cheers,

Vinicius
        Thx vcruvinel

Well, I really need to understand this technicall stuff, can you provide me some more detail regarding the backlit ? thx

First, can it be corrected is these photos ?
        How can we measure/define it ?

There should be more/less contract between plane and sky ?

Photo 3 , as a light sky ? is it better ?

In fact, photo 3 lots the perfect photo to me. All parts of the plane ,below and above are clearly defined and expose . No shadows no highligts
        And taking in consideration that the sun was just above the plane, maybe a tidy bit for my side... that's not bad.
        ( so technically the sun was behind me )

Should the sky be lighter ? the Sky in Lisbon is as strong and blue as in the photo.
        The exposure and temperature of the photos is almost as it came from the camera... not much compensation there.

TAP colours, like the general colour temperature in Portugal are very strong.... so maybe reducing a bit the saturation could help . What do you thing ?

I'm including a couple more examples... just to confirm.... (well, the problem)

thanks again for your time and help
        /rgds
        Attached Files

Comment

In the meantime, I've just notice a huge difference between the colour I see and the color that produced after uploading it.
          The colour I see is much more light and soft than after updating it

Very strange ...

and yes, I agree, I don't like these colours.

What colour do you see on your screen ? the lighter or the strong one ?
          Attached Files

Comment

TAP colours, like the general colour temperature in Portugal are very strong.... so maybe reducing a bit the saturation could help . What do you thing ?

I'm including a couple more examples... just to confirm.... (well, the problem)
            These images are all backlit as well.

Portugal does not have special lighting conditions, any more than Spain, Italy, Greece, Japan, the U.S., or anywhere else along the same latitude. The images are backlit due to the angle of the aircraft in relation to you and the sun. Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow. This is most easily confirmed by looking at the tail, which is in shadow for all of these examples. None of these images would ever be accepted here, as this cannot be fixed by editing. You will simply need to go back and take new images at a different time of day or different location when the sun is on the same side of the aircraft as you.

In the meantime, I've just notice a huge difference between the colour I see and the color that produced after uploading it.
            The colour I see is much more light and soft than after updating it

Very strange ...

and yes, I agree, I don't like these colours.

What colour do you see on your screen ? the lighter or the strong one ?
            Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
              These images are all backlit as well.

Portugal does not have special lighting conditions, any more than Spain, Italy, Greece, Japan, the U.S., or anywhere else along the same latitude. The images are backlit due to the angle of the aircraft in relation to you and the sun. Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow. This is most easily confirmed by looking at the tail, which is in shadow for all of these examples. None of these images would ever be accepted here, as this cannot be fixed by editing. You will simply need to go back and take new images at a different time of day or different location when the sun is on the same side of the aircraft as you.

Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.
              Thx dlowwa

#Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow.
              Ok.

what's is good angle to the plane ? 90º

looking at this foto (out of the camera, no touch) everything seems to be well exposed well. I see no shadows,
              and the sun is the same side as me... not 90º, but probably 30.

#None of these images would ever be accepted here,
              Sure, I have no problems with that, I'm just tried to figure out the rules of the game.
              In this airport we have spots , left and rigth of the runway, so it's easy to follow the sun. That's not the problem.

#Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.
              got it... trying with another browser ..it looks ok... which is good, that means that you are also seeing the correct corrects.

/rgds
              Attached Files

Comment

Thx dlowwa

#Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow.
                Ok.

looking at this foto (out of the camera, no touch) everything seems to be well exposed well. I see no shadows,

Sure, I have no problems with that, I'm just tried to figure out the rules of the game.
                In this airport we have spots , left and rigth of the runway, so it's easy to follow the sun. That's not the problem.

#Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.
                got it... trying with another browser ..it looks ok... which is good, that means that you are also seeing the correct corrects.

/rgds
                Colors seems OK.
                But this image is still backlit, as the tail is in shadow. Apparently the sun was on the right side of you , because the Easyjet lining up is in completele sunlight.
                That's the kind of light you shpuld use to bring photos to the DB.
                As Dana and Vinicius are mentioning . keep the sun full in your back.
                Don't know Lisbon, but you should use this spot on another time of the day.

Best Regards,

Wilko

Comment

Thx dlowwa

Ok.

/rgds
                  The last photo is again slightly backlit and the aircraft too far away.

Regarding colour space: Colour space is tagged as sRGB, but without an embedded colour profile. Windows and Mac browsers and apps treat the colours randomly. So, on your system, the photo may look OK, on another PC or Mac maybe not.
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Dear vcruvinel, wkd001, LX-A343, dlowwa

Thx a million for your help and patience.

Plane spotting should/is fun and it looks I'm making things complex.
                    Far from the trued...I just want to navigate this waters... so I need some help to understand the wind.

Anyway, let's start with some info regarding LPPT where runways 3/21 are just perfect to take photos in the morning or in the afternoon.
                    Typical in good weather 3 is used for landing and in bad weather 21.

Along the 3, there basicaly 3 spot areas
                    ( from the left side - aftertoon shots )
                    1) one just near the fence... probably 50 meters ways from planes
                    2) the other, another 50 meters ways, across the road in a 10 meters elevation area.
                    both of these runs along a 300-500 meters span.

(form the rigth side, for shots in the morning )
                    1) One in a parking/station/Mac area.

As such, in the afternoon, there's lots of spot to choose from ...
                    from 50 to 100 meters aways of the planes
                    and along the runway from 300 meters before the begining of the runway to 200 meters after the begining.

So, when I start posting some photos here... I started in the farway spot.
                    The first comments where : to soft, haze, compressed

Then I move to a closer place : still haze, compressed, dark

Then I change camera, lens and spot, trying to remove the haze by shooting from below : backlit

Ok, I'm doing all tests at the same time. find the best place, choose the rigth camera/lens.... and hope that the photo be sharp.
                    All the tests were done a different time of the day... when was possible to pass by and stop to take a couple of pictures.

I need to know the rules of the game : size, position, colours, sharpeness, colour temperature,shadows, highlights, saturation, etc,etc
                    It's so easy to go wrong with any of these and have a refused photo.

Well, let's move along , I believe I've learn a couple of things... looking at my first photo and the latest I see some improvements ( but's only me )

So I'll insist a couple more times.

Another day, another run:

So today, just toke a 5 min stop ( my wife yelling in the car ) at 19pm ... the sun just making a 90º angle with the runnway.
                    and shot these 5 photos.

/rgds
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dear vcruvinel, wkd001, LX-A343, dlowwa

Well, let's move along , I believe I've learn a couple of things... looking at my first photo and the latest I see some improvements ( but's only me )

So I'll insist a couple more times.

Another day, another run:

So today, just toke a 5 min stop ( my wife yelling in the car ) at 19pm ... the sun just making a 90º angle with the runnway.
                      and shot these 5 photos.

/rgds
                      No. 1, 3 an5 5 are somewhat dark but moreover look over processed, there is a sort of halo/light line around the fuselage. No 5 is also soft
                      No. 2 and 4 look acceptable to me
                      Last edited by pdeboer; 2018-08-12, 05:47. Reason: shortening the text

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
                        No. 1, 3 an5 5 are somewhat dark but moreover look over processed, there is a sort of halo/light line around the fuselage. No 5 is also soft
                        Thank you pdeboer

It's time to calibrate my black gauge.

I see a pattern alrigth, either in the shadows part, either the processing sharpening part than enhances letters/logos and generic black lines.

So what do you think of these "new" blacks editions ?

/rgds
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by a.m.; 2018-08-12, 15:51. Reason: image order

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
                          #No 5 is also soft

yes, big planes are always dificult to put them sharp on 1280px... am I allowed to upload a 1920x1080 version (I guess not)

/rgds
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you pdeboer

It's time to calibrate my black gauge.

I see a pattern alrigth, either in the shadows part, either the processing sharpening part than enhances letters/logos and generic black lines.

So what do you think of these "new" blacks editions ?

/rgds
                            #No 5 is also soft

yes, big planes are always dificult to put them sharp on 1280px... am I allowed to upload a 1920x1080 version (I guess not)

/rgds
                            These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.

Comment

#These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.
                              dlowwa, just to clarify my understanding : I should post just one photo and not many edited versions of the same photo, correct ?
                              thx
                              /rgds

Comment

#These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.
                                dlowwa, just to clarify my understanding : I should post just one photo and not many edited versions of the same photo, correct ?
                                thx
                                /rgds
                                Correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X