Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sergio Canobbio View Post
    Hello.
    Would you please check some photos I took in a aviation museum?
    The indoor photos have cut highlights in the histogram, but it is due to the light from outside in the windows. Is this a problem?
    Thank you in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21539[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21540[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21541[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21542[/ATTACH]
    1 & 4. borderline contrast/overexposed
    2. soft
    3. motive (identifiable faces)
    5. soft, centering

Comment

Hello.
      Would you please check if these photos are ok?
      Thank you in advance for the precious help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-GRPI 1200 DSC_7272.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1040897

Name:	OE-IVS 1200 DSC_7318.jpg
Size:	865.4 KB
ID:	1040898

Comment

Hello.
        Would you please check if these photos are ok?
        Thank you in advance for the precious help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26416[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26417[/ATTACH]
        Borderline noisy sky/dark shadows for both.

Comment

Hello.
          I'm looking for advice about these photos. Are they ok for the database?
          Thank you in advance for your help, always very precious!

Name:	4K-AZII LIMC 1200 DSC_8096.jpg
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	1041636 Click image for larger version

Name:	9A-BTE LIMC 1200 DSC_8472.jpg
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	1041637 Click image for larger version

Name:	9H-JSB LIMC 1200 DSC_8515.jpg
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	1041638 Click image for larger version

Name:	D-AEAG LIMC 1200 DSC_8544.jpg
Size:	680.3 KB
ID:	1041639 Click image for larger version

Name:	EC-KHM LIMC 1200 DSC_8299.jpg
Size:	702.3 KB
ID:	1041640

Comment

Hi Sergio,

I'm not a screener, but this is just an assumption on what the screeners will possibly point out.

1. Noisy, underexposed, slight CCW rotation, oversharpened.
            2. Oversharpened, borderline noise, contrast, just a touch more exposure.
            3. Heat Haze, Contrast, tiny bit of CCW rotation
            4. Contrast, overcast type of shot, can't get away from a rejection on that..
            5. Slight touch more exposure, but looks acceptable to me.

Like I mentioned above, I'm not a screener, this is just what I see. It can be different from what the screener points out.
            https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/114320

Comment

Hello.
              I'm looking for advice about these photos. Are they ok for the database?
              Thank you in advance for your help, always very precious!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27278[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27279[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27280[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27281[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27282[/ATTACH]
              1. dirty
              2. ok
              3. blurry/heat haze
              4. borderline color/contrast
              5. dirty

Comment

Originally posted by ldubsaviation View Post
                Hi Sergio,
                Thank you for your advice, ldubsaviation

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                1. dirty
                2. ok
                3. blurry/heat haze
                4. borderline color/contrast
                5. dirty
                Thank you, dlowwa! I have gone through the whole batch of photos I took yesterday to get rid of the remaining dirt, which I did not see with my checking tool (Filter -> Adjustments -> Equalize in PS6) but that was visible with the jetphotos upload tool. I have fixed the problems (hopefully) and put #3 in my private collection.

If you don't mind, I have some other, specific doubts for some of the photos I took yesterday:

Name:	G-FBJK LIMC 1200 DSC_8430.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	1041652 Click image for larger version

Name:	4X-EDH LIMC 1200 DSC_8404.jpg
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	1041653 Click image for larger version

Name:	A6-EOZ LIMC 1200 DSC_8601.jpg
Size:	632.4 KB
ID:	1041654 Click image for larger version

Name:	EW-294PA LIMC 1200 DSC_8560.jpg
Size:	555.0 KB
ID:	1041655 Click image for larger version

Name:	EI-GGN LIMC 1200 DSC_8241.jpg
Size:	632.4 KB
ID:	1041656

1. I have left more empty space than usual to include the whole easyjet and the whole tower in the background. Is this crop acceptable?
                2. Is heat haze acceptable here?
                3. Is contrast ok?
                4. Is contrast ok?
                5. There is a straight line in the sky just above the fuselage, parallel to it, which at a first glance seemed a halo to me when I checked the result, but it is there also in the original file... Should I get rid of it like dust spots, or is it a product of the airplane vs. the air, and so a normal occurence?

Thank you very very much for your help.

Comment

Thank you for your advice, ldubsaviation

Thank you, dlowwa! I have gone through the whole batch of photos I took yesterday to get rid of the remaining dirt, which I did not see with my checking tool (Filter -> Adjustments -> Equalize in PS6) but that was visible with the jetphotos upload tool. I have fixed the problems (hopefully) and put #3 in my private collection.

If you don't mind, I have some other, specific doubts for some of the photos I took yesterday:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27295[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27296[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27297[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27298[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27299[/ATTACH]

1. I have left more empty space than usual to include the whole easyjet and the whole tower in the background. Is this crop acceptable?
                  2. Is heat haze acceptable here?
                  3. Is contrast ok?
                  4. Is contrast ok?
                  5. There is a straight line in the sky just above the fuselage, parallel to it, which at a first glance seemed a halo to me when I checked the result, but it is there also in the original file... Should I get rid of it like dust spots, or is it a product of the airplane vs. the air, and so a normal occurence?

Thank you very very much for your help.
                  1. borderline heat haze. centering ok.
                  2. borderline heat haze/overprocessed (editing halos)
                  3. borderline color (yellow)
                  4. color
                  5. borderline color. looks like cloud above fuselage, so should be fine.

Comment

Hello.

I got a bunch of rejections for the photos I uploaded recently. I got rejection for the photos I was more confident about (!) and for which I did not ask for a pre-screening.
                    All the rejections are for Bad Color (Over/Under Saturation, Hue) which evidently is the cliff I'm not able to address in my workflow.

Some of the rejected photos are these (please note that I'm not asking for a pre-screening, since they have already been rejected in this version):

Name:	_jpsub_EI-DEC LIMC 1200 DSC_8189.jpg
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	1041928 Click image for larger version

Name:	_jpsub_TS-IML LIMC 1200 DSC_8587.jpg
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	1041929 Click image for larger version

Name:	_jpsub_YL-BBR LIMC 1200 DSC_8043.jpg
Size:	675.4 KB
ID:	1041930

For this photo, I also received the comment "yellow too strong":

Name:	_jpsub_CN-ROJ LIMC 1200 DSC_8450.jpg
Size:	701.1 KB
ID:	1041931 Click image for larger version

Name:	histogram.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1041932

I am really not able to point out and set the correct hue. I'm not using LR for aviation photos and I could surely use it to balance whites, but first of all I need to be able to see which color is wrong, and evidently this is not my case. In some of these photos I can recognize the whites have a shade of color in it (but often I'm not really able to tell of which color), while others look white to me (e.g. EI-DEC).

Could you please point out to some forum discussion or tutorial in which it is explained how to deal with hue problems? I found this: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...-contrast-help but is this the way? In the above histogram, should I have applied some modifications to the white balance in order to shift left the red bar on the right, and this would have corrected the yellow cast?

If this is the way, is there a regulation that can be used directly in PS and not in ACR or LR?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hello.

I got a bunch of rejections for the photos I uploaded recently. I got rejection for the photos I was more confident about (!) and for which I did not ask for a pre-screening.
                      All the rejections are for Bad Color (Over/Under Saturation, Hue) which evidently is the cliff I'm not able to address in my workflow.

Some of the rejected photos are these (please note that I'm not asking for a pre-screening, since they have already been rejected in this version):
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27612[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27613[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27614[/ATTACH]

For this photo, I also received the comment "yellow too strong":
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27615[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27616[/ATTACH]

I am really not able to point out and set the correct hue. I'm not using LR for aviation photos and I could surely use it to balance whites, but first of all I need to be able to see which color is wrong, and evidently this is not my case. In some of these photos I can recognize the whites have a shade of color in it (but often I'm not really able to tell of which color), while others look white to me (e.g. EI-DEC).

Could you please point out to some forum discussion or tutorial in which it is explained how to deal with hue problems? I found this: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...-contrast-help but is this the way? In the above histogram, should I have applied some modifications to the white balance in order to shift left the red bar on the right, and this would have corrected the yellow cast?

If this is the way, is there a regulation that can be used directly in PS and not in ACR or LR?

Thank you in advance.
                      Yes, this does seem to be a white balance issue (and I did point out such potential issues with your last prescreening request, so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise). A simple adjustment to a cooler (more blue) setting should fix them. As for detecting the issue in the first place, I'm afraid there isn't really a technical way of doing it. For myself, it's almost completely done by eye. I don't use the RGB histogram, it's simply a case of the fuselages should be white (or at least much closer to white than they are here) in this situation, so the color is off. If the angle of the light were lower, I might expect a more yellow hue like in your images, but with the sun so high overhead, the yellow cast is quite unnatural, as was noted.

Comment

Yes, this does seem to be a white balance issue (and I did point out such potential issues with your last prescreening request, so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise). A simple adjustment to a cooler (more blue) setting should fix them. As for detecting the issue in the first place, I'm afraid there isn't really a technical way of doing it. For myself, it's almost completely done by eye. I don't use the RGB histogram, it's simply a case of the fuselages should be white (or at least much closer to white than they are here) in this situation, so the color is off. If the angle of the light were lower, I might expect a more yellow hue like in your images, but with the sun so high overhead, the yellow cast is quite unnatural, as was noted.
                        Thank you dlowwa.
                        Yes, it doesn't come as a surprise, but I was not able to see this problem in many other photos. But this is MY fault, of course

Meanwhile, I was trying some intervention on the photos, opening the 1200px jpeg with ACR (using Bridge) and adjusting white balance.
                        Do you think I'm addressing the problem properly?

Name:	_jpsub_T7-MRC LIMC 1200 DSC_8232.jpg
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	1041933 >>> Click image for larger version

Name:	_REV_T7-MRC LIMC 1200 DSC_8232.jpg
Size:	746.3 KB
ID:	1041934

Name:	_jpsub_TS-IML LIMC 1200 DSC_8587.jpg
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	1041936 >>> Click image for larger version

Name:	REV_TS-IML LIMC 1200 DSC_8587.jpg
Size:	687.6 KB
ID:	1041937

Thank you very much, and I hope this post doesn't infringe the 24h rule, since I was not asking for a pre-screening in the previous one

Comment

Thank you dlowwa.
                          Yes, it doesn't come as a surprise, but I was not able to see this problem in many other photos. But this is MY fault, of course

Meanwhile, I was trying some intervention on the photos, opening the 1200px jpeg with ACR (using Bridge) and adjusting white balance.
                          Do you think I'm addressing the problem properly?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27622[/ATTACH] >>> [ATTACH=CONFIG]27623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27625[/ATTACH] >>> [ATTACH=CONFIG]27626[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much, and I hope this post doesn't infringe the 24h rule, since I was not asking for a pre-screening in the previous one
                          Yes, the newer versions definitely look better, and should be acceptable for color if re-submitted.

Comment

Yes, the newer versions definitely look better, and should be acceptable for color if re-submitted.
                            Thank you, dlowwa.

I have gone through the whole batch of photos I wanted to submit, and I hope to have fixed the color cast issue both in the workflow and in my monitor settings.

If you don't mind, I am going to ask you a pre-screening on a couple of cinquinas I'm not sure about.

Name:	A6-EOZ LIMC 1200 DSC_8601e.jpg
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	1042011 Click image for larger version

Name:	C-GHPY LIMC 1200 DSC_8615.jpg
Size:	743.2 KB
ID:	1042012 Click image for larger version

Name:	EI-GGN LIMC 1200 DSC_8241.jpg
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	1042013 Click image for larger version

Name:	EI-FFW LIMC 1200 DSC_8571.jpg
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	1042014 Click image for larger version

Name:	EI-FNW LIMC 1200 DSC_8342.jpg
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	1042015

Are these photos ok with color issues?

Moreover:
                            2. Is this ok with backlit? I think the shade I see in the tail is caused by the black dots, but I'm not sure.

4. and 5. can be considered special schemes? Most of the Air Italy airplanes are painted as .3, but AFAIK 4. and 5. are not unique schemes in their fleet.

Thank you in advance for your help, I feel I'm really upgrading my aviation photography with your advice.

Comment

Thank you, dlowwa.

I have gone through the whole batch of photos I wanted to submit, and I hope to have fixed the color cast issue both in the workflow and in my monitor settings.

If you don't mind, I am going to ask you a pre-screening on a couple of cinquinas I'm not sure about.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27714[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27715[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27716[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27717[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27718[/ATTACH]

Are these photos ok with color issues?

Moreover:
                              2. Is this ok with backlit? I think the shade I see in the tail is caused by the black dots, but I'm not sure.

4. and 5. can be considered special schemes? Most of the Air Italy airplanes are painted as .3, but AFAIK 4. and 5. are not unique schemes in their fleet.

Thank you in advance for your help, I feel I'm really upgrading my aviation photography with your advice.
                              #3 a bit dark/contrasty, but quality would be ok for me. No backlit or special scheme aircraft in this batch.

Comment

May I have a pre-screening also on these? Thank you in advance.

Name:	EW-294PA LIMC 1200 DSC_8561.jpg
Size:	660.9 KB
ID:	1042050 Click image for larger version

Name:	PH-BGM LIMC 1200 DSC_8012.jpg
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	1042051 Click image for larger version

Name:	PH-BXU LIMC 1200 DSC_8524.jpg
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	1042052 Click image for larger version

Name:	4X-EDH LIMC 1200 DSC_8404.jpg
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	1042053 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZS-SJC FAOR 1200 DSC_3830 2019-08.jpg
Size:	597.1 KB
ID:	1042054

And especially:
                                1. 2. 3. is color/contrast ok?
                                4. In this new version I think I have fixed halos. Is it ok in that sense? In your opinion the borderline heat haze alone will cause a rejection?
                                5. This is an older photo I asked for a pre-screening before, but with a totally different postproduction. Is this acceptable in your opinion?

Many many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X