Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio - Editing advice

Hello.

I have some trouble understanding what is the correct amount of "sharpening" requested for a good pic in jetphotos and how to achieve it. Can someone give me some advice or point out some good tutorial about that? I normally use the raw/output Sharpener Pro 3 tools from Nik collection, but I'm still wondering about the various settings in them.

Here are two photos I got rejected. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Undersharpened
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jpRE 1280 G-EZWV LSZH b BLURRY SOFT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	932.8 KB
ID:	1045737

Oversharpened

Name:	jpRE 1280 HB-JBH LSZH b OVERSHARP.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1045738

Originally posted by Sergio Canobbio View Post
    Hello.

I have some trouble understanding what is the correct amount of "sharpening" requested for a good pic in jetphotos and how to achieve it. Can someone give me some advice or point out some good tutorial about that? I normally use the raw/output Sharpener Pro 3 tools from Nik collection, but I'm still wondering about the various settings in them.

Here are two photos I got rejected. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Undersharpened
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]18281[/ATTACH]

Oversharpened
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]18282[/ATTACH]
    Sergio, I`m not from the crew, but IMHO the photo #1 is blurry in the wheels from the front and add more sharpening will not correct it, but it`s just an opinion. About photo #2, as you can see, there are jaggies around the SWISS logo/name, so this one is oversharpened. When you have a lot of jaggies it`s normally indicate that the photos is oversharpened.

About the settings, I use the Smart Sharpen Tool from PS, so I sharpen the image in full size and after resize to the upload size, if necessary, I apply a bit more sharpen. And also...try to see more photos in JP to take some base to your photos.

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
      Sergio, I`m not from the crew, but IMHO the photo #1 is blurry in the wheels from the front and add more sharpening will not correct it, but it`s just an opinion. About photo #2, as you can see, there are jaggies around the SWISS logo/name, so this one is oversharpened. When you have a lot of jaggies it`s normally indicate that the photos is oversharpened.

About the settings, I use the Smart Sharpen Tool from PS, so I sharpen the image in full size and after resize to the upload size, if necessary, I apply a bit more sharpen. And also...try to see more photos in JP to take some base to your photos.

Cheers,

Vinicius
      Thank you very much, Vinicius. These are very useful infos.

Comment

What about this photo? I have checked jaggies and it seems ok. However, is composition acceptable, or would it be better to crop the right wing in order to center the fuselage? Thank you.

Name:	1280 EI-RDM LSZH.jpg
Size:	851.6 KB
ID:	1030066

Comment

Name:	1280 EI-RDM LSZH.jpg
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	1030077

I think it just need a bit of CCW rotation.

Comment

Hello! the first one in my opinion is blurry, you can check that the landing gear is blurred, the second look at the oversharp in the shadows. regards

QUOTE=Sergio Canobbio;670081]Hello.

Undersharpened

Name:	jpRE 1280 G-EZWV LSZH b BLURRY SOFT.jpg
Size:	932.8 KB
ID:	1045737

Oversharpened

Name:	jpRE 1280 HB-JBH LSZH b OVERSHARP.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1045738[/QUOTE]

Comment

in my opinion need more space on the edges especially in the wing, needs to be centralized, I think, my opinion, regards.

Comment

What about this photo? I have checked jaggies and it seems ok. However, is composition acceptable, or would it be better to crop the right wing in order to center the fuselage? Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18311[/ATTACH]
                It's sharp in front but the bottom looks soft, this is probably due to the lack of depth of field. I recommend not going under F.8 with your lense (that was 6.3 there)

Regards
                Alex

Comment

^ Thank you very much everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                    It's sharp in front but the bottom looks soft, this is probably due to the lack of depth of field. I recommend not going under F.8 with your lense (that was 6.3 there)

Regards
                    Alex
                    Thank you. I always set the camera very open with airplanes, in order to increase speed, but indeed if the plane is not on axis the depth of field could not be sufficient. I will remember this!

Comment

Hello. May I ask for a pre-screening evaluation? Thank you.

Name:	1280 HB-JJM LSZH.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1030122

Name:	1280 HB-IJN LSZH b.jpg
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	1030123

Name:	1280 HB-JPV LSZH.jpg
Size:	1,002.3 KB
ID:	1030124

Name:	1280 OE-LBJ LSZH.jpg
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1030125

Name:	1280 OM-BYA LSZH b.jpg
Size:	917.9 KB
ID:	1030126

Comment

Hello. May I ask for a pre-screening evaluation? Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18395[/ATTACH]
                        No 1 borderline oversharpened, 2-4 seem acceptable, no. 5 is backlit

Comment

I submitted this photo:

Name:	61447_1536312912.jpg
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	1030344

as a "ramp" photo, because I knew it did not meet the standards for an "aircraft" photo, but I thought it could be interesting to see a glimpse of the airport activity in Pyongyang.

I got it rejected for:
                          - Backlit
                          - Too much or too little contrast
                          - Bad Info: Airline,Aircraft,Registration,Serial Number/CN
                          - Vignetting not allowed

I'm quite sure the info was right (ramp, ZKPY), am I wrong in something? Serial of the aircraft in which I was sitting is needed maybe? I applied this rule: "for airport photos of Control Towers, Terminals, etc., type in the airport 4 letter (ICAO) code in both the Registration and Airport fields" with leaves no room for the airplane registration number. It is also said that "an airport overview taken from inside an aircraft, with part of the wing visible should be uploaded as wing view", but in the rule 1.2.6 it is not stated that the registration of the airport should be changed with the one of the airplane. Sorry to bother, I'm just trying to understand.

Is the "no backlit" a requirement even for aircrafts in a "ramp" photo? I think the subject is the ramp activity and not the aircraft.

Vignetting is due to the airplane window polarization, which is quite common in wing views, I think.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comment

Hi,
                            Ramp shots need at least 3 aircrafts to be considered as ramp view. Plane which is the main subject, is indeed totally backlit which results in poor contrast. As you are shooting from the plane with the wing visible you should upload it with the info of the plane you're in.
                            Vignetting is way too strong and please check forum for more details on how to get rid of it.
                            Sure it's an interesting shot but since organised aviation tours have been common in DPRK, we got really good pics from Air Koryo's fleet or Pyongyang activity so it's not that rare anymore.

Kind regards
                            Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                              Hi,
                              Ramp shots need at least 3 aircrafts to be considered as ramp view. Plane which is the main subject, is indeed totally backlit which results in poor contrast. As you are shooting from the plane with the wing visible you should upload it with the info of the plane you're in.
                              Vignetting is way too strong and please check forum for more details on how to get rid of it.
                              Sure it's an interesting shot but since organised aviation tours have been common in DPRK, we got really good pics from Air Koryo's fleet or Pyongyang activity so it's not that rare anymore.

Kind regards
                              Alex
                              Thank you Alex, these are very useful explanations!

Comment

Working...
                              X