Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    1-2 borderline soft
    3. soft. not sure if cloud or bad edit above titles.
    4. dirty
    5. borderline dark/overprocessed (lines in sky)

No trick for determining if an image is too soft/blurry, just use my eyes
    Thank you again for help. I'm going to try to fix these issues.

Comment

Dear dlowwa, with your indications I fixed a lot of issues and I successfully uploaded some photos of the batch. Thank you!

I have a question regarding this photo that has been rejected:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	JPre 1200 d G-EZDM DSC_3746 dark category.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	746.0 KB
ID:	1032581
      The reasons were:
      1. Dark / Underexposed
      2. Categories wrong or missing

I am going to fix #1, but I do not understand what I have done wrong with #2. Is not an airliner the default category?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Canobbio View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]21365[/ATTACH]
        The reasons were:
        1. Dark / Underexposed
        2. Categories wrong or missing

I am going to fix #1, but I do not understand what I have done wrong with #2. Is not an airliner the default category?
        Should be 'Night Shot'.

Comment

Should be 'Night Shot'.
          For later use: how do you decide if a photo like this one is "night shot" or not?
          Seems to me there is no morning light or else (it was past 11.00 am), and it has been taken within minutes with other photos that have been accepted. Some fo the accepted photos were taken earlier. I can of course flag "night shot" in a later submission, but I'd like to understand how to decide if the category should be flagged or not.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

For later use: how do you decide if a photo like this one is "night shot" or not?
            Seems to me there is no morning light or else (it was past 11.00 am), and it has been taken within minutes with other photos that have been accepted. Some fo the accepted photos were taken earlier. I can of course flag "night shot" in a later submission, but I'd like to understand how to decide if the category should be flagged or not.

Thank you for your help.
            As per the upload guide, Night Shot applies to any images where the sun is at a very low angle. Yes, this would then apply to many images taken in northern areas mid-winter that are closer to midday, but in subjective cases like that we generally correct the category for uploaders if there are no other issues. Rejections for category alone are rare, and only happen if there have been repeated issues.

Comment

As per the upload guide, Night Shot applies to any images where the sun is at a very low angle. Yes, this would then apply to many images taken in northern areas mid-winter that are closer to midday, but in subjective cases like that we generally correct the category for uploaders if there are no other issues. Rejections for category alone are rare, and only happen if there have been repeated issues.
              Thank you for the explanation. I knew upload guide states this for low angle light, but it didn't occur to me that this photo could qualifiy for the case. I will pay attention to this in the future.

Comment

Hello. Would you please check these photos and give advice? Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking to check "night shot" for everyone

Name:	1200 e EI-DWM DSC_3796.jpg
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	1032658 Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 e EI-GFX DSC_3756.jpg
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	1032659 Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 e EI-GFY LIMC DSC_3690.jpg
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	1032660 Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 I-DVFC VF-82 DSC_3732.jpg
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	1032661

In your opinion, is the next photo acceptable and which category should I select? (It's Shanghai Pudong before dawn, I thought to upload it as tarmac):

Name:	1200 Pudong Tarmac DSC_7953.jpg
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	1032662

I'm also checking my old prints and I have found a heli not in the database, is a 10x15 print (quite nice in my opinion) from 1998. Do you have some advice on how to best perform the scan (dpi, etc)? I've searched through the forum and the guidelines, but I do not have found any topic about that. Sorry if I missed it and, again, thank you for your help and your patience.

Comment

I'm also checking my old prints and I have found a heli not in the database, is a 10x15 print (quite nice in my opinion) from 1998. Do you have some advice on how to best perform the scan (dpi, etc)? I've searched through the forum and the guidelines, but I do not have found any topic about that. Sorry if I missed it and, again, thank you for your help and your patience.
                  I'm uploading here my first scan try (scanned at 1200 dpi, made some postproduction and residez at 1200p with 200 dpi)... Any advice welcome!

Name:	1200 I-ETIB A scan 1200 dpi.jpg
Size:	896.3 KB
ID:	1032686

Comment

I'm uploading here my first scan try (scanned at 1200 dpi, made some postproduction and residez at 1200p with 200 dpi)... Any advice welcome!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21493[/ATTACH]
                    Ok for me - I'd put in a small narrative - inc year taken and context, also select vintage if it falls within criteria. regards T

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                      Ok for me - I'd put in a small narrative - inc year taken and context, also select vintage if it falls within criteria. regards T
                      Thank you for the advice. Could you point me to the "vintage" criteria, since I do not see them in the upload guidelines or in other sticky threads? Also the search button did not help me.

Comment

From the upload guideline :
                        Warbird / Vintage
                        This category is to be selected for old planes (anything that was not built after 1970, or where the production started before 1970), planes that are no longer in regular service and planes in museums. Also, replicas of vintage aircraft need the "vintage" category.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                          From the upload guideline :
                          Warbird / Vintage
                          This category is to be selected for old planes (anything that was not built after 1970, or where the production started before 1970), planes that are no longer in regular service and planes in museums. Also, replicas of vintage aircraft need the "vintage" category.
                          Thank you Alex. Damn, while checking the guidelines I saw "warbird" and missed "vintage"

Btw, may I still ask an opinion about this batch? Thank you!

I'm thinking to check "night shot" for everyone

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21461[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21462[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21463[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21464[/ATTACH]

In your opinion, is the next photo acceptable and which category should I select? (It's Shanghai Pudong before dawn, I thought to upload it as ramp):
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]21465[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi,
                            The Ryanair has her tail in shadow so backlit. Overall it has a very strong contrast due to the harsh light while it's a very very common plane. Better to keep that one for the personal collection.
                            The 330, borderline backlit and needs a 0.2 CW rotation.
                            737, light looks ok but I would crop it a bit tighter, there's a bit too much empty space in front and back of the plane
                            The helicopter looks ok
                            The ramp shot has a very dull light and most of the frame is empty so motive wise it wouldn't be accepted.

Hope it helps
                            Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                              Hi,
                              The Ryanair has her tail in shadow so backlit. Overall it has a very strong contrast due to the harsh light while it's a very very common plane. Better to keep that one for the personal collection.
                              The 330, borderline backlit and needs a 0.2 CW rotation.
                              737, light looks ok but I would crop it a bit tighter, there's a bit too much empty space in front and back of the plane
                              The helicopter looks ok
                              The ramp shot has a very dull light and most of the frame is empty so motive wise it wouldn't be accepted.

Hope it helps
                              Alex
                              It helps a lot, as usual. Thanks!

Comment

Hello.
                                Would you please check some photos I took in a aviation museum?
                                The indoor photos have cut highlights in the histogram, but it is due to the light from outside in the windows. Is this a problem?
                                Thank you in advance!

Name:	1200 42-99119 DSC_2844.jpg
Size:	994.8 KB
ID:	1032715 Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 I-CCAA DSC_2809.jpg
Size:	992.9 KB
ID:	1032716 Click image for larger version

Name:	1200 I-PITT DSC_2749.jpg