Air India Boeing 777-300ER Lands Safe With Multiple System Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air India Boeing 777-300ER Lands Safe With Multiple System Failures

Air India Boeing 777-300ER, registration VT-ALQ performing flight AI-101 from Delhi (India) to New York JFK,NY (USA) with 370 people on board, was on final approach to JFK's runway 04R descending through about 300 feet AGL in reduced visibility (RVR reported at 3500 feet) when the crew initiated a go-around reporting an unstable approach.

The aircraft climbed to 2000 feet, back on approach frequency the crew advised they had lost multiple instruments on final approach includinglocalizer, radio altimeters, two altimeters (with only one altimeter remaining), TCAS etc., they requested a longer final while being vectored for another ILS approach to runway 04R.

After working the checklists the crew advised they could not perform an ILS approach and inquired for weather information of airports around the New York area permitting a non-precision approach, due to the ceiling at New York they weren't able to approach to JFK, ATC inquired whether they had autoland available which the crew stated they had lost auto-land too due to the multiple system failure,however, they had one radio altimeter and one basic altimeter still available to them. They needed an airport with a cloud ceiling of 600+ feet permitting a non-precision approach, their primary planned alternate had been Newark,NJ and their secondary alternate Stewart,NY. ATC reported the next airport available with 600+ feet ceiling was Albany,NY, the crew asked to also check Boston,MA advising they were getting low on fuel and needed to decide quickly. ATC suggested Bradley,CT would be the best option with 500 feet overcast with a forecast slight improvement. The crew queried the current ceiling at JFK considering a quick LNAV/VNAV approach into JFK might be an option. ATC advised Newark had just released a new METAR indicating 400 feet overcast ceiling, better than before, the crew decided to divert to Newark. The aircraft climbed to 5000 feet and diverted to Newark, the crew advised they would need to perform a LNAV/VNAV approach to Newark's runway, again stating they were unable to fly an ILS due to the instrument failures. ATC advised they would get cleared for an ILS approach runway 04R at Newark, however, the crew would then fly the VNAV procedure.

The crew agreed and reported they had 7200 kg of fuel remaining at that point when JFK approach inquired again whether at least one LOC receiver was available, the crew stated both localizer receivers were failed and unpredictable, they needed to do an LNAV/VNAV approach. On the handoff to Newark Tower tower advised emergency equipment was standing by for the arrival. On final approach, the tower advised they were getting low on the approach and advised altimeter was 30.12.

The aircraft continued for a safe landing on Newark's runway 04R about 90 seconds after the low altitude alert and about 38 minutes after the go-around at JFK. The crew advised no further assistance was needed.
    Last edited by janamparikh; 2018-09-19, 09:36. Reason: Better formatting

This will be interesting.

Comment

OMG, it kind of debunks all the posts from the nub Davey, and lots of the other crap from 3 & E. Imagine they actually used their training and experience to do the job they are payed for. I guess we will have to label them heroes now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        I guess we will have to label them heroes now, right?
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by janamparikh View Post
          Air India Boeing 777-300, registration VT-ALQ performing flight AI-101 from Delhi (India) to New York JFK,NY (USA) with 370 people on board, was on final approach to JFK's runway 04R descending through about 300 feet AGL in reduced visibility (RVR reported at 3500 feet) when the crew initiated a go-around reporting an unstable approach.

The aircraft climbed to 2000 feet, back on approach frequency the crew advised they had lost multiple instruments on final approach including
          localizer, radio altimeters, two altimeters (with only one altimeter remaining), TCAS etc., they requested a longer final while being vectored for another ILS approach to runway 04R.

After working the checklists the crew advised they could not perform an ILS approach and inquired for weather information of airports around the New York area permitting a non-precision approach, due to the ceiling at New York they weren't able to approach to JFK, ATC inquired whether they had autoland available which the crew stated they had lost auto-land too due to the multiple system failure,however, they had one radio altimeter and one basic altimeter still available to them. They needed an airport with a cloud ceiling of 600+ feet permitting a non-precision approach, their primary planned alternate had been Newark,NJ and their secondary alternate Stewart,NY. ATC reported the next airport available with 600+ feet ceiling was Albany,NY, the crew asked to also check Boston,MA advising they were getting low on fuel and needed to decide quickly. ATC suggested Bradley,CT would be the best option with 500 feet overcast with a forecast slight improvement. The crew queried the current ceiling at JFK considering a quick LNAV/VNAV approach into JFK might be an option. ATC advised Newark had just released a new METAR indicating 400 feet overcast ceiling, better than before, the crew decided to divert to Newark. The aircraft climbed to 5000 feet and diverted to Newark, the crew advised they would need to perform a LNAV/VNAV approach to Newark's runway, again stating they were unable to fly an ILS due to the instrument failures. ATC advised they would get cleared for an ILS approach runway 04R at Newark, however, the crew would then fly the VNAV procedure.

The crew agreed and reported they had 7200 kg of fuel remaining at that point when JFK approach inquired again whether at least one LOC receiver was available, the crew stated both localizer receivers were failed and unpredictable, they needed to do an LNAV/VNAV approach. On the handoff to Newark Tower tower advised emergency equipment was standing by for the arrival. On final approach, the tower advised they were getting low on the approach and advised altimeter was 30.12.

The aircraft continued for a safe landing on Newark's runway 04R about 90 seconds after the low altitude alert and about 38 minutes after the go-around at JFK. The crew advised no further assistance was needed.

Source: Internet
          You are violating the terms of use of "Source: internet" by not giving credit to AvHerald, by not providing the link, and by copying and pasting the article in full.
          And even if there were no terms, what was the problem with giving a bit of credit to this guy that do a fantastic work reporting aviation incidents (I would say best in the world) and perhaps helping them get some additional traffic?

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Q: Can we take information from articles of The Aviation Herald and publish on our website?

If you purchase a subscription, you are allowed to republish any textual information provided by our articles during your subscription period in any form within your publication - you are allowed to copy and paste our articles onto your website/newspaper/magazine - provided you credit The Aviation Herald properly by providing a link to our original article.

Without subscription you can use information provided in our articles for your private purposes, but you are not allowed to republish the information in any form (exception: to illustrate an argument user posts on bulletin boards may use small quotes with proper credit and link to our original article even without subscription).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

***lots of the other crap from 3 & E.***
            Do not lump me with Evan lest I check my recent memory about some really super duper broad and basic rules of friction between rubber and pavement-type surfaces that even dumbass fertilizer jockeys know about...basic rules that have really big safety implications to stopping an 18 wheeler full of fertilizer. (And pilots don't need to know much about safety either).

I might even pee in your popcorn when you aren't looking.

Yes, amazingly, cowboy idiot pilots address many issues and safely complete flights every day with really good attention to procedure, detail and proficiency every day. I have said so often.

I even provided color coding in case you struggle with the sarcasm.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Do not lump me with Evan lest I check my recent memory about some really super duper broad and basic rules of friction between rubber and pavement-type surfaces that even dumbass fertilizer jockeys know about...basic rules that have really big safety implications to stopping an 18 wheeler full of fertilizer. (And pilots don't need to know much about safety either).

I might even pee in your popcorn when you aren't looking.

I guess I never get to live that one down! You know my wife brings up shit from 40 years ago I did too! And if the shoe fits!

Comment

I guess I never get to live that one down!
                Don't lose your hopes. Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

OMG, it kind of debunks all the posts from the nub Davey, and lots of the other crap from 3 & E. Imagine they actually used their training and experience to do the job they are payed for. I guess we will have to label them heroes now, right?
                  They are heros, I am sure !

Comment

See, I told you so.

Comment

Indeed...Heroes AND excellent executioners of what they are trained and paid to do. Ironic, but they have earned some free beer.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Indeed...Heroes AND excellent executioners of what they are trained and paid to do. Ironic, but they have earned some free beer.
                        I am sure they have surely earned it. Right people at the right time.

Comment

Free beer is one thing, to be labeled a "Hero" is another.

Comment

Working...
                          X