Air Niugini plane misses runway, lands in sea off Micronesia island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Niugini plane misses runway, lands in sea off Micronesia island

A Boeing 737 aircraft carrying 47 people crashed into the sea off a small island in Micronesia Friday after the pilot missed the runway while attempting to land.
    Air Niugini Flight 72 was due to touch down Friday at the international airport on Weno, the main island of Chuuk state, Micronesia, but "landed short of the runway," according to a statement from Air Niugini, the national carrier of Papua New Guinea.
    Bill Jaynes, managing editor of a Micronesia-based newspaper, was on the plane when it hit the water. "It's just surreal. I thought we landed hard until I looked over and saw a hole in the side of the plane and water was coming in, and I thought, well, this is not, like the way it's supposed to happen," he said in a video posted to Facebook.

Jaynes said passengers on the plane were in water up to their waists and used the emergency exit to escape. Photographs and video footage posted online showed small fishing boats surrounding the stricken, semi-submerged plane, ferrying passengers to safety.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Many others videos here:

Guardian states it overshoot the runway.

Comment

thankfully no loss of life.

Comment

Non-precision approach and I believe the PAPI was down. Primary instruments were probably working thougjh. There's probably a series of factors involved. I wonder if rain ingestion was one of them. Or downburst...

Comment

Originally posted by darazarbaf View Post
          Guardian states it overshoot the runway.
          https://www.theguardian.com/australi...lands-in-ocean
          Yes, but the same article says "Locals reported broken bones are among the passenger injuries after the flight came in “very low” for its landing, and ended up in the water."

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

http://avherald.com/h?article=4be42f25&opt=0

An Air Niugini Boeing 737-800, registration P2-PXE performing flight PX-73 from Pohnpei to Chuuk (Micronesia) with 35 passengers and 12 crew, was on final approach to Chuuk's runway 04 in poor weather when the aircraft came too low and touched down into the sea and came to a stop about 150 meters left abeam of runway threshold. The aircraft was evacuated, all passengers and crew were able to leave the aircraft. A few serious injuries (bone fractures) are being reported, however, no critical injuries.

The airline confirmed the aircraft landed short of the runway in Chuuk at 10:10L (00:10Z) in heavy rain and reduced visibility. All 35 passengers and 12 crew were able to safely evacuate the aircraft.

The airport reported the aircraft was cleared to land but touched down short of the runway.

Passengers reported the aircraft was on final approach to Chuuk when they thought they had a hard touch down until they realized they had landed in the sea. The aircraft floated long enough for everybody to leave the aircraft and be rescued by locals in their boats.

According to Micronesia's Civil Aviation Department Chuuk features a NDB/DME approach to runway 04 and RNAV (GPS) approaches to both runways (the related charts however are offline as of current). No precision approaches are available. Runway 04/22 is 6006 feet/1831 meters long with a grooved asphalt surface. Both runways feature PAPI lights at 3 degrees glidepath to their left.

Related NOTAM:
            A0047/18 NOTAMN
            Q) KZAK/QLPAS//////
            A) PTKK
            B) 1809280300
            C) 1809300300[/CENTER]
            E) RWY 04 PAPI U/S

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
              There's probably a series of factors involved.

Concur.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

E) RWY 04 PAPI U/S
                (PAPI was unserviceable)

Comment

There's probably a series of factors involved. I wonder if rain ingestion was one of them. Or downburst...
                  Or altimeter setting?

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
                    Or altimeter setting?
                    OR sniffing below minimums?
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
                      Or altimeter setting?
                      Just for discussion, that does not have a "big" effect on radar altitude and GPWS.

Comment

(PAPI was unserviceable)
                        I get that in an agricultural context, but for aeroengineering, how is it that it could not be serviced or repaired?

Comment

I doubt they went sniffing down to 0 asl. This might be something other than CFIT.

Comment

I doubt they went sniffing down to 0 asl. This might be something other than CFIT.
                            Do you remember the circumstances around the copy-paste accident that we had maybe a couple of years ago where the plane (another 737 in some island in the Pacific, IIRC) splashed down short of the runway and came to rest inches from the seawall? I don't remember the circumstances or any useful detail (airline, where it was, etc..) to look it up.

Comment

I will not make bold bets nor proclamations of disagreement.

HOWEVER

I am pretty sure that Northwester agrees 100% (No way in hell did Polish 101 go sniffing down to the ground, it absolutely was something other than CFIT)

Comment

Working...
                              X