Pre Screening Advice - Robbie Mathieson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Screening Advice - Robbie Mathieson

Hi All, can I please get advice on the following rejection.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The noise/grain I don't necessarily agree with however can be fixed, however I'm confused by the bad motive. I've looked at the Upload Guidelines and I don't see how it can be rejected for motive. The only reason that I feel it could possibly be rejected for is an easily identifiable person, however in my opinion neither of the people in the photo is not easily identifiable.

Can someone also please explain to me JPeg compression artefacts - like in this picture https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6229981. I've only recently started getting these rejections.

Many Thanks, Rob

Originally posted by VH-ROB View Post
    Hi All, can I please get advice on the following rejection.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The noise/grain I don't necessarily agree with however can be fixed, however I'm confused by the bad motive. I've looked at the Upload Guidelines and I don't see how it can be rejected for motive. The only reason that I feel it could possibly be rejected for is an easily identifiable person, however in my opinion neither of the people in the photo is not easily identifiable.
    I didn't screen this one, but I probably would have voted no on the motive as well. The composition is simply poor; the person (not identifiable, so not an issue) is cut off along the feet, so it looks like you were more interested in trying to include them in the frame than actually show the location, which is the purpose of the 'Spotting Location' type of image. A wider shot that actually shows the location better (but still including the person) would probably be more acceptable.

Can someone also please explain to me JPeg compression artefacts - like in this picture https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6229981. I've only recently started getting these rejections.
    Actually, like this image. Wider, and not so focused on the individual. As for compression, we use that rejection not only for when the image is highly compressed like with a too low jpeg save setting, but also when there is the pixel-smearing you usually see with images taken with small-sensor cameras. Given you are using an EOS 600D, I wouldn't expect to see such an effect like we are in this particular image, so I'd guess somewhere in your editing/saving workflow you've done something to introduce this effect.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      I didn't screen this one, but I probably would have voted no on the motive as well. The composition is simply poor; the person (not identifiable, so not an issue) is cut off along the feet, so it looks like you were more interested in trying to include them in the frame than actually show the location, which is the purpose of the 'Spotting Location' type of image. A wider shot that actually shows the location better (but still including the person) would probably be more acceptable.

Actually, like this image. Wider, and not so focused on the individual. As for compression, we use that rejection not only for when the image is highly compressed like with a too low jpeg save setting, but also when there is the pixel-smearing you usually see with images taken with small-sensor cameras. Given you are using an EOS 600D, I wouldn't expect to see such an effect like we are in this particular image, so I'd guess somewhere in your editing/saving workflow you've done something to introduce this effect.
      Many thanks for the reply. Regarding the 'pixel-smearing'/compresssion, where in my editing workflow do you think this would happen. I haven't made any changes to my editing workflow, and have only recently started recieving these rejections so am a bit lost as to where in my workflow it would start appearing.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. Regarding the 'pixel-smearing'/compresssion, where in my editing workflow do you think this would happen. I haven't made any changes to my editing workflow, and have only recently started recieving these rejections so am a bit lost as to where in my workflow it would start appearing.
        Can't say for sure, but a likely culprit would be any noise reduction settings. NR filters tend to smear out fine detail, similar to how small sensors do.

Comment

Can't say for sure, but a likely culprit would be any noise reduction settings. NR filters tend to smear out fine detail, similar to how small sensors do.
          Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Hi all, quick question regarding the following rejection. All photos of this aircraft in the database are uploaded as registration MM62209, however, I uploaded it as registration MM-62209 as that is what is printed on the side of the aircraft. Surely the correct registration should be what it actually says on the aircraft?

Last edited by VH-ROB; 2017-12-28, 07:47. Reason: forgot to add link to photo.

Comment

Hi all, quick question regarding the following rejection. All photos of this aircraft in the database are uploaded as registration MM62209, however, I uploaded it as registration MM-62209 as that is what is printed on the side of the aircraft. Surely the correct registration should be what it actually says on the aircraft?

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6272219
              No, MM62209 is the correct format. All Italian military are entered as such.

Comment

Hi All, the following photo got rejected. In the screener comments, it stated that the motive reason was because of the vehicle registration plates. Am I able to blur these in photoshop? The upload guidelines doesn't specify anything in regards to vehicles. Many Thanks, Robbie

Comment

Hi All, the following photo got rejected. In the screener comments, it stated that the motive reason was because of the vehicle registration plates. Am I able to blur these in photoshop? The upload guidelines doesn't specify anything in regards to vehicles. Many Thanks, Robbie
                  Don't see any photo.

Comment

Don't see any photo.
                    Would help if i remembered to put the link

Comment

Would help if i remembered to put the link

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6815862
                      In this case yes, this is the ONLY time where such manipulation is allowed. Be aware that the other quality issues remain, which still might preclude the adjusted image from being accepted.

Comment

In this case yes, this is the ONLY time where such manipulation is allowed. Be aware that the other quality issues remain, which still might preclude the adjusted image from being accepted.
                        Great, thanks for the help.

Comment

Pre Screening Advice - Robbie Mathieson

Hi guys, would it be possible to get some prescreening on this one? Have a new laptop and am also now editing in LR rather than PS so there's quite a few differences in my workflow. Many Thanks, Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-LAL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	1031301

Comment

Hi,
                            Crop is too tight (a bit more space around plane is needed) and whole plane appears a bit too soft

Regards
                            Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                              Hi,
                              Crop is too tight (a bit more space around plane is needed) and whole plane appears a bit too soft

Regards
                              Alex
                              Awesome, thanks Alex, I'll go and work on it again, many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X