Yet Another Line has been Crossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Line has been Crossed

is this safety related? probably not, but since it allegedly concerns "health" i guess maybe.

i'm not an allergist or medical doctor, but anyone with 1/4 ounce of sense would realize that allowing an allergic person to "wipe their seat down" without more protection, is simply inviting that person to cause the allergan to become airborne, thus increasing the chance of an allergic reaction.

the depths of utter stupidity airlines (and the government for that matter) stoop to is simply incomprehensible.

Using a dry duster will simply cause any allergenic impurities to become airborne. This is why hospitals contract their cleaners to perform damp dusting techniques. Dry or damp dusting your seat will not help anyway as you would need to damp dust seats surrounding you. Any allergenic impurities in/on the seats surrounding you will become airborne when the passengers drop into those seats. The only sensible protection is for the persons with allergies to wear filtration face masks while travelling in the close proximity conditions of an aircraft cabin. Face masks like the paper types seen being worn especially by Asian persons are next to useless. The first cough or sneeze dampens the mask and causes inhaled air to enter from each unfiltered side rather than through the so called filtration paper. Companies like 3M sell mouth and nose sealing face masks fitted with side mounted clip on or screw on filter canisters. I was issued with these when I was working as a paramedic and found them to be very efficient. Click image for larger version

Name:	9C1D7304-E7B3-419C-B099-684526FA2FF3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1031307
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Guys, quit bringing science, logic and paramedic procedures into this.

It's ALL about the optics.

Giving allergic folks a chance to clean the seats makes them feel special...Just like having the foo foo dog (or any of the other eye-rolling species) in tow.

AND, don't forget why it's important to have a placebo control group in drug studies.

We CARE about our customers needs...(that is anything except legroom, and the ability to deplane during delays, and whether a purchased ticket entitles you to be drug off by the police).
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

so, i took a few minutes to read through the horseshit filings related to this new policy (there's a link in the article). suffice to say, that while i respect the needs of disabled people, the definition of "disabled" under the americans with disabilities act after 2008, now includes just about every conceivable issue a human being could experience. it's effin pathetic.

frankly, i could give a rat's ass about pre-boarding, and think that 1st/biz should board last (so as not to be smacked by every idiot's purse, backpack, oversized whatever as they walk past you seemingly oblivious to your head being where it is), so long as no one sneaks their bags in the upfront bins.

but the claim made by the claimants in the underlying case is simply no true. they assert that it is not a burden on the airline to add yet another class of individuals to the pre-board group. BS. now, instead of having 5-15 grey-hairs claiming to need boarding assistance (when in fact barely 2-3 really do), there will be 50 asshats climbing over one another to get the gate agent to identify themselves as having some food allergy, just so they can board first. of course, not a single one (ok, maybe 1 out every 3,000,000) will actually have an allergy and more importantly, will actually try to "sanitize" their seat. exactly how long does this sanitizing take? doesn't that add to the boarding time?

i guess no one wants to be the guy to stand up and say it's all bullshit, and no amount of wiping down the seat area is going to prevent an allergic reaction to (count 'em) soy, dairy, tree nuts, ground nuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, and wheat. HOLY SHIT! you mean those nice warm rolls dripping in melted butter along side my cheese omelette they serve me in biz may cause someone on the plane to start wheezing?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

i guess no one wants to be the guy to stand up and say it's all bullshit...
          And risk being accused of calling all these poor people with all these real problems a mere bunch of "whiny bitches"? No, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            And risk being accused of calling all these poor people with all these real problems a mere bunch of "whiny bitches"? No, thanks.
            Ah, what a breath of fresh air you are!

You just ignore reality. There is NO benefit to “wiping down” the seat area when it comes to allergens. The tiniest particle can cause an allergic reaction and potentially anaphylaxis. So, you could pre-board every single “disabled, allergic” person, give them 2 minutes to “wipe down their seat area” and as far as science and medicine go, you’ve accomplished ZERO.

but hey, why shouldn’t we listen to you?

Oh and then there’s this pesky part of the law that only requires a “reasonable accomodation.” So given that wiping down a seat does nothing scientifically, why is pre-boarding “reasonable?”

Lastly, I’d love to see the numbers on how many anaphylactic reactions there have been from unwiped seat areas alone.

Comment

You guys captured our hole world.

Person with real problems asks for a symbolic gesture.

Media isn’t going to dig for facts. The listeners will make an anti airline meme. It will spread virally. Facebook and Twitter will get hits and sell lucrative ads for really games and non gmo bottled water.

ATL is just enjoying the ride (from the best seat on the plane).
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
              X