Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bleuair - prescreening request

Grüezi and hello,

Here's my prescreening thread - thanks in advance for anyone's help, hints and support.

Regards, Mirko

#1 ... Requesting your feedback on this one.

I'm thinking of it as an "artistic" category photo. Or is it "bad motive"?
    It could be too small in the frame, or not centered (which might be allowed if seen as "artistic")?
    What about contrast levels?
    Vignette is too much or acceptable?
    Any other things worth noting (and, thus, correcting before uploading)?

Thanks! brgds Mirko

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair View Post
      #1 ... Requesting your feedback on this one.

I'm thinking of it as an "artistic" category photo. Or is it "bad motive"?
      It could be too small in the frame, or not centered (which might be allowed if seen as "artistic")?
      What about contrast levels?
      Vignette is too much or acceptable?
      Any other things worth noting (and, thus, correcting before uploading)?

Thanks! brgds Mirko

I think you could maybe get away with that as artistic if the depth of field weren't so shallow. As it is, the bull is so out of focus, it's just distracting, and not really adding anything to the frame. There's a tiny bit of vignetting, yes, but I don't think it would get past motive if it went to screening.

Comment

Is this one good or is it too high contrast?

Attached Files

Comment

Is this one good or is it too high contrast?

Looks like there are some blown out areas according to the histogram.

Comment

I got the shot below rejected for invalid hot. Did NOT appeal but reuploaded.

Now I get it rejected for contrast (too much and too few). My appeal was rejected [but the response referred to the "Invalid hot" and did not answer any of my arguments about the contrast]

So now I'm totally unsettled and don't know what is it that I should do as I did not get any feedback in a total of 3 screening processes.

Here's different levels of contrast. It's -10 / -5 / 0 / +5 /+10 . Neutral was my favourite so far. Please indicate what could be improved and to which level. Thanks!

A

B

C

D

E
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bleuair; 2019-03-17, 16:22.

Comment

1. photos that are Invalid Hot will be rejected for Invalid Hot only. We've had cases where people knowingly submit invalid hot images so that they can get a faster prescreening. By not selecting any other rejection reasons than Invalid Hot, there is no longer an incentive to do so for those who would try to take advantage of the situation.
              2. the appeal process is not the proper place to seek advice/feedback. The appeal process is meant for when you disagree with a rejection. You should be coming here (to the forum) first, if seeking feedback about a rejection.

In this case, the problem with your image is not a simple matter of too much/little contrast. Rather, it's due to the fact that the sky and top of the fuselage are blown out, but the light in the rest of the frame is rather subdued. Adjusting the contrast up or down will fix one of those problems, but then make the other worse. You can try other editing methods than simple increases/decreases to the contrast to address those issues, or try to get a different shot with better light.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                1. photos that are Invalid Hot will be rejected for Invalid Hot only. We've had cases where people knowingly submit invalid hot images so that they can get a faster prescreening. By not selecting any other rejection reasons than Invalid Hot, there is no longer an incentive to do so for those who would try to take advantage of the situation.
                2. the appeal process is not the proper place to seek advice/feedback. The appeal process is meant for when you disagree with a rejection. You should be coming here (to the forum) first, if seeking feedback about a rejection.

In this case, the problem with your image is not a simple matter of too much/little contrast. Rather, it's due to the fact that the sky and top of the fuselage are blown out, but the light in the rest of the frame is rather subdued. Adjusting the contrast up or down will fix one of those problems, but then make the other worse. You can try other editing methods than simple increases/decreases to the contrast to address those issues, or try to get a different shot with better light.
                Thanks for your feedback Dana,

to which I partially agree. However in my appeal I expressed my opinion that the exposure as per the middle one above is best possible, all white tones in the sky and fuselage clearly visible while the dark ones do not remain covered in black. So this was not seeking advice but arguing why I believe the contrast is best level possible - as you confirm in your comment.

Unfortunately I can't take another shot because it was the event/day/location/aircraft combination which made it "hot" in the first place. Difficult to understand the logic why 1 pic "hot" is ok but the other isn't... Should I appeal this one instead?
                Last edited by bleuair; 2019-03-17, 21:04. Reason: question to screener added

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Dana,

to which I partially agree. However in my appeal I expressed my opinion that the exposure as per the middle one above is best possible, all white tones in the sky and fuselage clearly visible while the dark ones do not remain covered in black. So this was not seeking advice but arguing why I believe the contrast is best level possible - as you confirm in your comment.

Unfortunately I can't take another shot because it was the event/day/location/aircraft combination which made it "hot" in the first place. Difficult to understand the logic why 1 pic "hot" is ok but the other isn't... Should I appeal this one instead?
                  I am unsure as to the exact circumstances around the image, so can't say whether or not it should have been considered hot without more detail. The contrast rejection I would give 50/50 chance at best on appeal.

Comment

The above issue was sorted - sunny weather and new date - new pic for the db. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9277697

The museum leads to the next question. I uploaded a shot from the inside, of a Northrop Tiger J-3056. - only 2 shots in the db, 10 years back, different Air Force, different scheme.
                    Unfortunately it was rejected due "backlit" & "overexposed" and "too high/low contrast".
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    The screener was so kind - thanks! - to suggest the shot might be better taken from the opposite staircase.

Here we go, do you think that this is better light/contrast conditions and hence acceptable for addition?
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the feedback!

update: different attempt for J-3056 proved more successful here too: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9386472
                    Last edited by bleuair; 2019-11-03, 16:32. Reason: update

Comment

Second one is better, but be careful exterior windows are not too blown out as well. Usually better to shoot in museums with windows when it is darker outside, I find. Image also probably needs some CW rotation.

Comment

Dear all, appreciate your feedback on this one. Sometimes, Screeners reject the photo despite it ticks all boxes otherwise, for a reason called "overprocessing". I sometimes get such feedback but a fair bit of those I do struggle what actually caused the no-go. It seems that this happens to shots which are taken in weather conditions some don't even know from TV documentaries.

Therefore may I ask you to look at this aspect in PARTICULAR?

Thanks.

Comment

It seems that this happens to shots which are taken in weather conditions some don't even know from TV documentaries...Therefore may I ask you to look at this aspect in PARTICULAR?
                          Please explain what exactly you mean. In which 'aspect'? to TV documentaries? What do they have to do with anything?

Comment

Dana, I was looking for advice on "overprocessing". The above image was taken in adverse conditions. This usually is more of a challenge in post processing.

The images I usually get rejected for overprocessing look perfectly ok my screen but still appear to show an issue on a screener's screen. Hence my request for looking into this in particular. Is this image above overprocessed or ok? Thanks.

Comment

Dana, I was looking for advice on "overprocessing". The above image was taken in adverse conditions. This usually is more of a challenge in post processing.

The images I usually get rejected for overprocessing look perfectly ok my screen but still appear to show an issue on a screener's screen. Hence my request for looking into this in particular. Is this image above overprocessed or ok? Thanks.
                              Don't see processing being an issue with this image. Still unclear how this is related to TV documentaries?

Comment

Working...
                              X