Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john1024 - prescreening request / editing advice

Dear Jetphotos
    What do I have to adjust for 'undersharpen (soft)' as rejection reason. I have no idea what to improve. Is there a description? What does it mean actually? Not sharp? To less contrast?

The picture are for example here:
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks a lot for advice.

John

Originally posted by john1024 View Post
    Dear Jetphotos
    What do I have to adjust for 'undersharpen (soft)' as rejection reason. I have no idea what to improve. Is there a description? What does it mean actually? Not sharp? To less contrast?

The picture are for example here:

Thanks a lot for advice.

John
    Hoi.

"Undersharpened-Soft" does indeed mean that the image is not sharp.
    So you have to sharpen the images to make them acceptable.
    #1 can be acceptable with a better edit
    #2 blurry tail and soft lettering in the front - this can not be fixed to be honest
    #3 same as #1 - probably acceptable with a better edit. Make sure to copy the dust spot below the engine out, otherwise that can lead to an rejection too.

Have a good day!
    Best Regards from Germany,
    Julian S.​

Comment

Dear Forum
      Pleas help me:
      I got recaction due to 'to Too much or too little contrast'. What do I have to adjust? I can't see any over or under expousure in the histogram. What do I can edit to better contrast? I have no idea, pleas help me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-23 um 18.21.56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1031471

Thank you so much for all your help and engagement.

john

Comment

Dear Forum
        Pleas help me:
        I got recaction due to 'to Too much or too little contrast'. What do I have to adjust? I can't see any over or under expousure in the histogram. What do I can edit to better contrast? I have no idea, pleas help me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19996[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much for all your help and engagement.

john
        As you can tell by the unbalanced histogram, the light is very flat. Under/overexposure has nothing to do with it. The flat light is caused by the overcast conditions, and will be very difficult to fix with editing.

Comment

Dear dlowwa

thanks for the reply.

But I don't get the point of 'Too much or too little contrast.'
          It mean's the sky is too dark?

Is there any further information on the forum? What do I have to pay attention? What do I have to do to get the needed contrast?

I really like to understand what screeners are looking at and what they judge for the contrast issue.

Thanks again for mor help and informations.

Comment

Dear dlowwa

thanks for the reply.

But I don't get the point of 'Too much or too little contrast.'
            It mean's the sky is too dark?

Is there any further information on the forum? What do I have to pay attention? What do I have to do to get the needed contrast?

I really like to understand what screeners are looking at and what they judge for the contrast issue.

Thanks again for mor help and informations.
            It means there is a lack of clear contrast between parts of the image. Usually this is due to flat/overcast light (as in your image), but yes, could be due to washed out/bright sky, or other things. Sometimes it is easily fixable, but in this case, due to the poor light conditions I mentioned before, it would be much more challenging, if at all possible.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa

I' still not get all of the 'contrast' thing. There is no clear contrast between the parts of the image means, there is no sun on the plane? Is this the key point? I checked de DB from Jetphotos and noticed that in most cases are sunlight on the plans.

but I also see some pictures there are without sun, but daylight. There is a similar light, daylight but the sun behind the cloud. But why is the contrast in those two pictures fine? there is no tool to judge the contrast, it's a visual decision? I really like to understand because the most rejection are due to contrast.
              jetphotos.com/photo/91xxxxx

Thanks a gain for further explanation.

John
              Last edited by dlowwa; 2018-11-25, 08:50. Reason: Removed links to images

Comment

I' still not get all of the 'contrast' thing. There is no clear contrast between the parts of the image means, there is no sun on the plane? Is this the key point? I checked de DB from Jetphotos and noticed that in most cases are sunlight on the plans.
                Usually, but not always. Certainly images taken in overcast conditions will be more challenging to get accepted.

but I also see some pictures there are without sun, but daylight. There is a similar light, daylight but the sun behind the cloud. But why is the contrast in those two pictures fine? there is no tool to judge the contrast, it's a visual decision? I really like to understand because the most rejection are due to contrast.
                I've removed the links, since it's considered bad form to bring up the work of others who are not directly involved in the discussion. Yes, both of those are somewhat lacking in contrast, but if you had checked a little further, you would have noticed both were first images of those particular regs., for which we are a little more lenient.

Comment

thanks for the explanation. (also for removing the links, I won't blame someone at all or point out).
                  I think I understand now a bit more, but It's still difficult to judge.

As rule I can keep in mind:
                  Best to have planes with lighted by the sun (no backlight) and if there is foggy weather or the sun behind the cloud it's hard to be accepted.
                  There is no really measurement or indication whats a good contrast.

Is that more or less the point?

In the two attached images they would also be rejacted because of contrast? (no sun /behind haze?)Click image for larger version

Name:	20180608_YR8BAZ0_D-_B734_STR_CN24644.jpg
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	1031482Click image for larger version

Name:	20180608_007_YL-LCN_A320_STR_CN662_SmartLynx.jpg
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1031483

Comment

As rule I can keep in mind:
                    Best to have planes with lighted by the sun (no backlight) and if there is foggy weather or the sun behind the cloud it's hard to be accepted.
                    There is no really measurement or indication whats a good contrast.
                    Mostly correct, although the histogram can often (but not always) give a good indication of what will be acceptable.

In the two attached images they would also be rejacted because of contrast? (no sun /behind haze?)[ATTACH=CONFIG]20011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20012[/ATTACH]
                    There is strong enough light on the aircraft that I don't think contrast would be too much of an issue, although there are other problems present.

Comment

Dear JP
                      I got a lot of truble with the contrast issue. Today I was with very dramatic weather taking some pictuers.

Please could you give me feedback if there are acceptable (with contrast) and also with other issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6Y7A5228.jpg
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	1031710Click image for larger version

Name:	6Y7A5187.jpg
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	1031711Click image for larger version

Name:	6Y7A5120.jpg
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	1031712

Thanks a alot for all your effort and help.

John

Comment

Dear JP
                        I got a lot of truble with the contrast issue. Today I was with very dramatic weather taking some pictuers.

Please could you give me feedback if there are acceptable (with contrast) and also with other issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20322[/ATTACH]

Thanks a alot for all your effort and help.

John
                        First two don't have issues with contrast; the third I would consider borderline.

Comment

Dear JP Forum
                          I got a rejaction due to overprocessing for these picture:

Pleas help me to understand what the screener ment? I do not uderstand whats's over precessed. What do i do to fix it?

thanks for any help

Comment

Dear JP Forum
                            I got a rejaction due to overprocessing for these picture:

Pleas help me to understand what the screener ment? I do not uderstand whats's over precessed. What do i do to fix it?

thanks for any help
                            There is a sort of halo around the a/c. The upload guidelines give you a hint of what might have happened:
                            6.7 Over Processed / Bad postprocessing

This rejection may apply to photos which simply look over processed. This can be for example an improper use of noise removal programs up to the result of getting a plastic like look or smudgy edges. Also, halos caused by wrong sharpening settings or other wrong post processing settings, will result in a rejection.

Comment

Thanks pdboer for explaining.

I have 3 pictures which I'm not sure if there are ok. Thanks for advice. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_21_N836BA_B737_ZRH_cn30756.jpg
Size:	696.2 KB
ID:	1032694Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_44_20-1102_B744_ZRH_cn24731.jpg
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	1032695Click image for larger version

Name:	20190124_110_3085_A319_ZRH_cn3085.jpg
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	1032696