Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: john1024 - prescreening request / editing advice

Default john1024 - prescreening request / editing advice

Dear Jetphotos
    What do I have to adjust for 'undersharpen (soft)' as rejection reason. I have no idea what to improve. Is there a description? What does it mean actually? Not sharp? To less contrast?

The picture are for example here:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889297
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889265
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889285

Thanks a lot for advice.

John

Quote Originally Posted by john1024 View Post
    Dear Jetphotos
    What do I have to adjust for 'undersharpen (soft)' as rejection reason. I have no idea what to improve. Is there a description? What does it mean actually? Not sharp? To less contrast?

The picture are for example here:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889297
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889265
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6889285

Thanks a lot for advice.

John
    Hoi.

"Undersharpened-Soft" does indeed mean that the image is not sharp.
    So you have to sharpen the images to make them acceptable.
    #1 can be acceptable with a better edit
    #2 blurry tail and soft lettering in the front - this can not be fixed to be honest
    #3 same as #1 - probably acceptable with a better edit. Make sure to copy the dust spot below the engine out, otherwise that can lead to an rejection too.

Have a good day!
    Best Regards from Germany,
    Julian S.​

Dear Forum
    Pleas help me:
    I got recaction due to 'to Too much or too little contrast'. What do I have to adjust? I can't see any over or under expousure in the histogram. What do I can edit to better contrast? I have no idea, pleas help me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-23 um 18.21.56.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	19996

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6940865

Thank you so much for all your help and engagement.

john

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Dear Forum
    Pleas help me:
    I got recaction due to 'to Too much or too little contrast'. What do I have to adjust? I can't see any over or under expousure in the histogram. What do I can edit to better contrast? I have no idea, pleas help me.

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-23 um 18.21.56.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	19996

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6940865

Thank you so much for all your help and engagement.

john
    As you can tell by the unbalanced histogram, the light is very flat. Under/overexposure has nothing to do with it. The flat light is caused by the overcast conditions, and will be very difficult to fix with editing.

Dear dlowwa

thanks for the reply.

But I don't get the point of 'Too much or too little contrast.'
    It mean's the sky is too dark?

Is there any further information on the forum? What do I have to pay attention? What do I have to do to get the needed contrast?

I really like to understand what screeners are looking at and what they judge for the contrast issue.

Thanks again for mor help and informations.

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Dear dlowwa

thanks for the reply.

But I don't get the point of 'Too much or too little contrast.'
    It mean's the sky is too dark?

Is there any further information on the forum? What do I have to pay attention? What do I have to do to get the needed contrast?

I really like to understand what screeners are looking at and what they judge for the contrast issue.

Thanks again for mor help and informations.
    It means there is a lack of clear contrast between parts of the image. Usually this is due to flat/overcast light (as in your image), but yes, could be due to washed out/bright sky, or other things. Sometimes it is easily fixable, but in this case, due to the poor light conditions I mentioned before, it would be much more challenging, if at all possible.

Thanks dlowwa

I' still not get all of the 'contrast' thing. There is no clear contrast between the parts of the image means, there is no sun on the plane? Is this the key point? I checked de DB from Jetphotos and noticed that in most cases are sunlight on the plans.

but I also see some pictures there are without sun, but daylight. There is a similar light, daylight but the sun behind the cloud. But why is the contrast in those two pictures fine? there is no tool to judge the contrast, it's a visual decision? I really like to understand because the most rejection are due to contrast.
    jetphotos.com/photo/91xxxxx

Thanks a gain for further explanation.

John
    Last edited by dlowwa; 11-25-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Removed links to images

JetPhotos.Net Crew

I' still not get all of the 'contrast' thing. There is no clear contrast between the parts of the image means, there is no sun on the plane? Is this the key point? I checked de DB from Jetphotos and noticed that in most cases are sunlight on the plans.
    Usually, but not always. Certainly images taken in overcast conditions will be more challenging to get accepted.

but I also see some pictures there are without sun, but daylight. There is a similar light, daylight but the sun behind the cloud. But why is the contrast in those two pictures fine? there is no tool to judge the contrast, it's a visual decision? I really like to understand because the most rejection are due to contrast.
    I've removed the links, since it's considered bad form to bring up the work of others who are not directly involved in the discussion. Yes, both of those are somewhat lacking in contrast, but if you had checked a little further, you would have noticed both were first images of those particular regs., for which we are a little more lenient.

thanks for the explanation. (also for removing the links, I won't blame someone at all or point out).
    I think I understand now a bit more, but It's still difficult to judge.

As rule I can keep in mind:
    Best to have planes with lighted by the sun (no backlight) and if there is foggy weather or the sun behind the cloud it's hard to be accepted.
    There is no really measurement or indication whats a good contrast.

Is that more or less the point?

In the two attached images they would also be rejacted because of contrast? (no sun /behind haze?)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180608_YR8BAZ0_D-_B734_STR_CN24644.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	20011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180608_007_YL-LCN_A320_STR_CN662_SmartLynx.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	20012

JetPhotos.Net Crew

As rule I can keep in mind:
    Best to have planes with lighted by the sun (no backlight) and if there is foggy weather or the sun behind the cloud it's hard to be accepted.
    There is no really measurement or indication whats a good contrast.
    Mostly correct, although the histogram can often (but not always) give a good indication of what will be acceptable.

In the two attached images they would also be rejacted because of contrast? (no sun /behind haze?)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180608_YR8BAZ0_D-_B734_STR_CN24644.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	20011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180608_007_YL-LCN_A320_STR_CN662_SmartLynx.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	20012
    There is strong enough light on the aircraft that I don't think contrast would be too much of an issue, although there are other problems present.

Dear JP
    I got a lot of truble with the contrast issue. Today I was with very dramatic weather taking some pictuers.

Please could you give me feedback if there are acceptable (with contrast) and also with other issue.

Name:	6Y7A5228.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	20320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6Y7A5187.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	20321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6Y7A5120.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	20322

Thanks a alot for all your effort and help.

John

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Dear JP
    I got a lot of truble with the contrast issue. Today I was with very dramatic weather taking some pictuers.

Please could you give me feedback if there are acceptable (with contrast) and also with other issue.

Name:	6Y7A5228.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	20320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6Y7A5187.jpg 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	20321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6Y7A5120.jpg 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	20322

Thanks a alot for all your effort and help.

John
    First two don't have issues with contrast; the third I would consider borderline.

Dear JP Forum
    I got a rejaction due to overprocessing for these picture:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7088959

Pleas help me to understand what the screener ment? I do not uderstand whats's over precessed. What do i do to fix it?

thanks for any help

Dear JP Forum
    I got a rejaction due to overprocessing for these picture:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7088959

Pleas help me to understand what the screener ment? I do not uderstand whats's over precessed. What do i do to fix it?

thanks for any help
    There is a sort of halo around the a/c. The upload guidelines give you a hint of what might have happened:
    6.7 Over Processed / Bad postprocessing

This rejection may apply to photos which simply look over processed. This can be for example an improper use of noise removal programs up to the result of getting a plastic like look or smudgy edges. Also, halos caused by wrong sharpening settings or other wrong post processing settings, will result in a rejection.

https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ES-New-version

Thanks pdboer for explaining.

I have 3 pictures which I'm not sure if there are ok. Thanks for advice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190121_21_N836BA_B737_ZRH_cn30756.jpg 
Size:	696.2 KB 
ID:	21515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190123_44_20-1102_B744_ZRH_cn24731.jpg 
Size:	643.7 KB 
ID:	21516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190124_110_3085_A319_ZRH_cn3085.jpg 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	21517

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Thanks pdboer for explaining.

I have 3 pictures which I'm not sure if there are ok. Thanks for advice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190121_21_N836BA_B737_ZRH_cn30756.jpg 
Size:	696.2 KB 
ID:	21515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190123_44_20-1102_B744_ZRH_cn24731.jpg 
Size:	643.7 KB 
ID:	21516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190124_110_3085_A319_ZRH_cn3085.jpg 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	21517
    1 & 3 would be rejected for contrast
    2. is quite soft

Night-Shot
    Dear JP comunity: I took a Night-Shot and get rejaction, due to 'dark' and soft. It's the following picture:https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182

What do I have to do to make a nightshot (it was absolutely dark) make not dark? With brightness/contrast it starts to get noisy.

Thanks for help also with the undersharpen issue.

john

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Night-Shot
    Dear JP comunity: I took a Night-Shot and get rejaction, due to 'dark' and soft. It's the following picture:https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182

What do I have to do to make a nightshot (it was absolutely dark) make not dark? With brightness/contrast it starts to get noisy.

Thanks for help also with the undersharpen issue.

john
    Image is soft, though not sure if this an issue related to depth of field, motion blur, or just processing.

Night Shots still need to be exposed properly and you still need to be able to see (at least part of) the aircraft adequately. Simply labeling something as a night shot does not give leave to think an underexposed shot should be acceptable.

Thanks for the quick answer. As i understand you right, the softness could be fixed. What I'm not yet understanding is the underexposed issue. The Aircraft itself is (for me) right exposed, at the nose (there was only one light from side) is a bit in the shadow. Or what is meant by underexposed? the background? the airplane?

All the best, john

Thanks for the quick answer. As i understand you right, the softness could be fixed. What I'm not yet understanding is the underexposed issue. The Aircraft itself is (for me) right exposed, at the nose (there was only one light from side) is a bit in the shadow. Or what is meant by underexposed? the background? the airplane?

All the best, john
    The black areas on the aircraft are just pitch black and lacking any details at all. Having shot many photos on that particular spot, I know, that there is enough light to get a properly exposed photo. Maybe you can start from scratch and edit the photo to get brighter shadows without blowing out the highlights.