Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john1024 View Post
    Thanks pdboer for explaining.

I have 3 pictures which I'm not sure if there are ok. Thanks for advice. [ATTACH=CONFIG]21515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21517[/ATTACH]
    1 & 3 would be rejected for contrast
    2. is quite soft

Comment

Night-Shot
      Dear JP comunity: I took a Night-Shot and get rejaction, due to 'dark' and soft. It's the following picture:https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182

What do I have to do to make a nightshot (it was absolutely dark) make not dark? With brightness/contrast it starts to get noisy.

Thanks for help also with the undersharpen issue.

john

Comment

Night-Shot
        Dear JP comunity: I took a Night-Shot and get rejaction, due to 'dark' and soft. It's the following picture:https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182

What do I have to do to make a nightshot (it was absolutely dark) make not dark? With brightness/contrast it starts to get noisy.

Thanks for help also with the undersharpen issue.

john
        Image is soft, though not sure if this an issue related to depth of field, motion blur, or just processing.

Night Shots still need to be exposed properly and you still need to be able to see (at least part of) the aircraft adequately. Simply labeling something as a night shot does not give leave to think an underexposed shot should be acceptable.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer. As i understand you right, the softness could be fixed. What I'm not yet understanding is the underexposed issue. The Aircraft itself is (for me) right exposed, at the nose (there was only one light from side) is a bit in the shadow. Or what is meant by underexposed? the background? the airplane?

All the best, john

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer. As i understand you right, the softness could be fixed. What I'm not yet understanding is the underexposed issue. The Aircraft itself is (for me) right exposed, at the nose (there was only one light from side) is a bit in the shadow. Or what is meant by underexposed? the background? the airplane?

All the best, john
            The black areas on the aircraft are just pitch black and lacking any details at all. Having shot many photos on that particular spot, I know, that there is enough light to get a properly exposed photo. Maybe you can start from scratch and edit the photo to get brighter shadows without blowing out the highlights.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Dear Forum
              Again I want to ask for editing advice. Most rejection I got due to undersharpen. These time I got oversharpen. I know if the sharpening is too much Halo could appear around the edges. In the following pictures I can't see any.
              Here is the picture:
              JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

My question is: Why is it oversharpen? Where do I see it? What do I have to do to get the right sharpening?

Second question: Is the heat-distorion where to see? Is it behind the engins? Is it fixable?

Thanks for hints, there are all the time so helpful.

John

Comment

Dear Forum
                Again I want to ask for editing advice. Most rejection I got due to undersharpen. These time I got oversharpen. I know if the sharpening is too much Halo could appear around the edges. In the following pictures I can't see any.
                Here is the picture:
                JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

My question is: Why is it oversharpen? Where do I see it? What do I have to do to get the right sharpening?

Second question: Is the heat-distorion where to see? Is it behind the engins? Is it fixable?

Thanks for hints, there are all the time so helpful.

John
                Very obvious on the the thin lines of the livery along the body of the fuselage. Uneven/jaggie lines like that are obvious indicators of heat haze & oversharpening. Also visible on the leading edges of the wings. Jet wash is never considered as heat haze, unless it's affecting the whole aircraft.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for the response.
                  Is that one likely to be acceppted?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_113_VP-BMS_A345_LAX_cn560.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	1034692

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for the response.
                    Is that one likely to be acceppted?[ATTACH=CONFIG]23948[/ATTACH]
                    Don't see much (if any) heat haze, but those lines on the fuselage still have lots of jaggies.

Comment

Dear Forum
                      Again I like to ask your advice:

Is thes pictures fine? Click image for larger version

Name:	43592_1555757773.jpg
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	1034714
                      Is it too dark? What do I have to do to get accepted?

thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Dear Forum
                        Again I like to ask your advice:

Is thes pictures fine? [ATTACH=CONFIG]23975[/ATTACH]
                        Is it too dark? What do I have to do to get accepted?

thanks a lot in advance.
                        As it is now, yes too dark, also some banding in the sky and might need a little CW rotation. These issues may be fixable with a better edit.

Comment

For one of my last nightshot I got a rejaction because to dark (https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182). After advice from the forum I started the whole develop process again and came up with these:Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_94_B-6130_A332_ZRH_ch930-Bearbeitet.jpg
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	1034715.

Would it be likely to get accepted? Thanks for helping me.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa

May I ask your advice again, would these edit be better?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_349_JA732A_B773_LAX_cn27038.jpg
Size:	817.4 KB
ID:	1034716

Why was it too dark? How am I able to decide? The histogram looked for me fine the first time, and I had the feeling the image too dark was for me representing the situation as I had in memory when I was taking the picture.

Comment

For one of my last nightshot I got a rejaction because to dark (https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7236182). After advice from the forum I started the whole develop process again and came up with these:[ATTACH=CONFIG]23976[/ATTACH].

Would it be likely to get accepted? Thanks for helping me.
                              Looks like you actually have a DOF issue. Tail is in focus, but the nose is not. In the first image the tail is ok, but the nose is quite soft. In the newer version the nose is better (still a bit soft), but the tail is oversharpened now. Not sure you will be able to fix this with editing.

Thanks dlowwa

May I ask your advice again, would these edit be better?[ATTACH=CONFIG]23977[/ATTACH]

Why was it too dark? How am I able to decide? The histogram looked for me fine the first time, and I had the feeling the image too dark was for me representing the situation as I had in memory when I was taking the picture.
                              Histogram can be a good guide for certain things, but can also be tricky for aviation photography (especially for a database such as this), as it represents the whole image, whereas we're usually focused more just on the aircraft. The histogram may look balanced if the sky is well lit, but if the aircraft is much darker or in shadow, it still wouldn't be acceptable for here. The exposure should be fine on your new edit, but as I just stated, since the light is mostly in the sky rather than the aircraft, I'd still consider it borderline for contrast.

Comment

Hi JP Forum

I need help for understanding the halo. I got all my last submission rejection due to halo (Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, Visible editing halos.), https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7282543 .

What I understand from the guidelines the halo appears a a result of too much sharpening at the edge. I took all the pictures at the same day, same lens (Canon 100-400) in RAW.

Now I edited one of them (no sharpening, only adjusting the levels/curves iin Lightroom an exported. When I check again for dust there are the halos visible still. In the attachment I put the screenshot of the comparison from 'chek for dust with marks what my understanding of halo is) and the picture with no sharpening, only adjusting the curves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_11_N822NW_A333_LAX_cn1627new.jpg
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	1034801
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	halo-test.jpg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1034802

thanks for helping me.

john