Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: chrislait - editing advice please

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default chrislait - editing advice please

    Hi Community

    I have had the 3 photos linked here rejected for "Too Much / Too Little contrast". Just after some advice on where should I focus er-editing each one .. in the too little or the too much range.

    Virgin Australia - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944593
    Air New Zealand - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944593
    Cebu Pacific - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944597

    Thanks for your assistance
    Chris

    (PS - this is my first forum thread so I hope it is in the right category...)

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Hi Community

    I have had the 3 photos linked here rejected for "Too Much / Too Little contrast". Just after some advice on where should I focus er-editing each one .. in the too little or the too much range.

    Virgin Australia - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944593
    Air New Zealand - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944593
    Cebu Pacific - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944597

    Thanks for your assistance
    Chris

    (PS - this is my first forum thread so I hope it is in the right category...)
    Air NZ: wrong link
    The other two lack contrast, look a bit dull. For example, the Cebu aircraft almost blends into background.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Sorry about the ANZ link - this is the right one now https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944596

    Thanks for the feedback on the other 2 .. I will see if I can re-edit to make them better.

    Chris

  4. #4
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Sorry about the ANZ link - this is the right one now https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6944596

    Thanks for the feedback on the other 2 .. I will see if I can re-edit to make them better.

    Chris
    Not too bad, but as with the others, a bit dull. May be fixable.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Great. Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Hi .. Just after sone guidance on these 2 as well before they drop off my rejected list ..

    Jetstar - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6935589 - This one was rejected for "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing"

    Private - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6935574 - This one was rejected for Dark / Underexposed & Bad Info. The "dark" I can fix .. not sure what the Bad Info was as I thought I used the auto infor from the database on submission. Perhaps a screener could assist with this one so I can correct the mistake if I re-upload.

    Thanks for your help
    Chris

  7. #7
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Hi .. Just after sone guidance on these 2 as well before they drop off my rejected list ..

    Jetstar - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6935589 - This one was rejected for "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing"

    Private - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6935574 - This one was rejected for Dark / Underexposed & Bad Info. The "dark" I can fix .. not sure what the Bad Info was as I thought I used the auto infor from the database on submission. Perhaps a screener could assist with this one so I can correct the mistake if I re-upload.

    Thanks for your help
    Chris
    1. editing halos visible.
    2. cn missing

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    In relation to the Cebu Pacific above - do you feel this is any better? I have re-edited to try and bring up the contrast on the plane

    https://i.ibb.co/wNnywbv/Cebu-Pacific-RP-C3348.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris

  10. #10
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    In relation to the Cebu Pacific above - do you feel this is any better? I have re-edited to try and bring up the contrast on the plane

    https://i.ibb.co/wNnywbv/Cebu-Pacific-RP-C3348.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris
    Still borderline contrast imho, and looking a little overprocessed now.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Hi .. just seeking some thoughts on these 2 rejected photos ..

    Virgin Australia - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6955006 - Over Processed / Bad postprocessing

    Qantas - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6955002 - Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, and Undersharpened (Soft)

    What do you see is the best way to re-edit these to make them acceptable?

    Thanks
    Chris

  12. #12
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Hi .. just seeking some thoughts on these 2 rejected photos ..

    Virgin Australia - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6955006 - Over Processed / Bad postprocessing

    Qantas - https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6955002 - Over Processed / Bad postprocessing, and Undersharpened (Soft)

    What do you see is the best way to re-edit these to make them acceptable?

    Thanks
    Chris
    There are editing halos visible on both. If you can find a way to re-process them without the halos (plus sharpening for the second), they should be acceptable.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Thanks ..

    Does this version of the Qantas 737 look more suitable? https://i.ibb.co/bbKZdBq/Qantas-737-...-171118-V2.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Thanks ..

    Does this version of the Qantas 737 look more suitable? https://i.ibb.co/bbKZdBq/Qantas-737-...-171118-V2.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

    Still has visible editting halos.

    I have had a quick look at the exif, all looks ok there. It shows you used Lightroom? If yes, have you used the shadow/highlight and or clarity sliders? That could be a cause of halos. I use Lightroom in my workflow and have those set to 0. I only adjust exposure (as needed) and the white/black sliders using the mask (option (mac) /alt (windows)) to fine tune exposure; lens correction & CA ticked and thats it off to photoshop, no halos.

    Hope that helps, if not happy to help

    regards
    T

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Thanks T. You are correct, I have been using Lightroom and do use the shadow / highlight (a bit) and clarity (not much) sliders. I'll re-edit these out and see if that will fix it. I'll repost new new image when its done

    Thanks
    Chris

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I have significantly reduced the highlight / shadow editing on this version. Hope it has helped??

    https://i.ibb.co/QMP65DW/Qantas-737-...1118-V3-JP.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    I have significantly reduced the highlight / shadow editing on this version. Hope it has helped??

    https://i.ibb.co/QMP65DW/Qantas-737-...1118-V3-JP.jpg

    Thanks
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

    Thats much better. I have done a before and after (equalised) to show you the difference. As I said, leave those sliders alone mate and you are good to go from here on. (hopefully )
    Regards T
    Attachment 20121

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Thanks T .. You are right, thats a huge difference. How did you "equalise" the photo? Is this a lightroom tool?

    Thanks again

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislait View Post
    Thanks T .. You are right, thats a huge difference. How did you "equalise" the photo? Is this a lightroom tool?

    Thanks again
    Hi Chris, glad its helped.

    I did those comparison images in Photoshop just for illustrative purposes. Lightroom doesn't have the feature.

    A good practice tip - when you upload an image(s) to jp go to manage my photos and check them using 'check dust' and 'histogram' The first, albeit more powerful than Photoshops 'equalise' will give u an indication of halos and CMOS spots etc. The latter potential contrast issues (see Dana's new sticky in the thread on contrast, a v.good read).

    Regards T.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Hi. Just after some feedback on this rejection I received today. It was rejected for bad composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) and under sharpened (soft).

    https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6975197

    After some feedback on the centering question. To move the crop to the left will cut the horizontal stabilizer off, to move it down will put the fuselage in the bottom third of the frame and if I widen the wisen the crop it risks being too small in the frame.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •