Budget camera buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
    The Canon nomenclature is different. EF-S lenses are for cropped sensor bodies and don't fit full frame cameras. It is not an indicator of lens quality or value. The Canon DSLRs you listed are all cropped sensor and can use both EF and EF-S lenses.
    I see, what's the benefit of Full-Frame Cameras? I might just stick with the 7D with 18-55mm EF-S lens and a 70-300mm AF lens then maybe replace the 300mm one with a 500mm one, but that will be in quite a few more years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
      I see, what's the benefit of Full-Frame Cameras?
      Low light shooting, less noise, wide angle of view at a given lens focal length and probably other things I haven't thought about. I'm sure someone who uses a full frame can fill us in. A major disadvantage of a full-frame for aviation photography is that you don't get the benefit of having more magnification with your zoom lenses like you do on a cropped frame camera. A 300mm lens on a camera with a crop factor of 1.5x would have the zoom of a 450mm. But put it on a full-frame an it's just a 300mm again.

And oh yeah, full-frames are expensive.

I might just stick with the 7D with 18-55mm EF-S lens and a 70-300mm AF lens then maybe replace the 300mm one with a 500mm one, but that will be in quite a few more years time.
      I guess you mean 70-300mm EF?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
        Is that why it costs a lot more? And is that the same for all -S lenses, like EF/EF-S
        Well it costs more because it also did cost more new and that was warranted due to the much better quality of the lens. However you can not say that every AF-S lens is such a clear improvement over the non AF. For example AF 80-200D vs. AF-S 70-200VR is much more give and take.

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
          Low light shooting, less noise, wide angle of view at a given lens focal length and probably other things I haven't thought about. I'm sure someone who uses a full frame can fill us in. A major disadvantage of a full-frame for aviation photography is that you don't get the benefit of having more magnification with your zoom lenses like you do on a cropped frame camera. A 300mm lens on a camera with a crop factor of 1.5x would have the zoom of a 450mm. But put it on a full-frame an it's just a 300mm again.

And oh yeah, full-frames are expensive.

I guess you mean 70-300mm EF?
          Correct EF not AF

Comment

Working...
          X