No announcement yet.

Budget camera buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering that you might have some lenses for Nikon, I would go with a used Nikon. A D300, D7000, D7100 would probably work well and they all handle non AF-S lenses.

The London Camera Exchange supplies second hand cameras, new cameras, digital cameras and other camera equipment and provides a camera part exchange in photographic shops all over England, UK.

Or if you can save on lenses:

The London Camera Exchange supplies second hand cameras, new cameras, digital cameras and other camera equipment and provides a camera part exchange in photographic shops all over England, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      Considering that you might have some lenses for Nikon, I would go with a used Nikon. A D300, D7000, D7100 would probably work well and they all handle non AF-S lenses.
      I have a Tamron 55-200mm AF lens which I'd probably want to replace with a Nikon 300mm lens, but the D7100 looks very good despite being slightly more expensive.

I must say that it is very close between the 7D and D7100

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
        1/250 isn't slow enough to limit burst speed, it would take a shutter speed closer to 1/8. FPS is a mechanical thing with the shutter and mirror, the camera should be able to sustain it indefinitely, but you would run into memory issues (buffer and card write) within a second or a few depending on file size.
        The 7D uses a different storage type, write speeds are 160mb/s+ compared to SD cards 60mb/s, I know both are quite capable but still a difference. When I shoot to get motion blur (panning) I daren't go below 1/80, I tried 1/25 before and ended up with 300 unusable shots.

That's perfectly clear. I photographed an aircraft landing the other day and ended up with 35 shots. At any rate, more fps and a bigger buffer size is just what's needed for that type of application.
        I'll keep that noted.

The 7D has twice the speed (fps) and twice the buffer size of the 100D or 1300D.
        Clearly better then

Comment

If you can get a D7100 for £430 with a lens then I would say “take their fingers off”. I have a D7200 and am very happy with the image quality.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Or go FF with a good looking D700:

and with this lens (used) it would give you a lot bang for the money

The Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G AF-S IF-ED Lens is a superb Nikkor Lens with features that make it a model unrivalled among others. With a high-power 4.3x Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor lens, the Nikon 70-300mm approximates the picture angle performance of a 105-450mm lens on 35mm SLR.. T...

or a hardly used D300S

Nikon D300S Body at great prices. 12.3 megapixel stills plus HD movie recording and dual SD & CF card compatibility Shop Camera Jungle for used and second hand cameras & lenses. Best prices on top quality UK stock. Next day delivery available. Fully cleaned and tested with 12 months warranty.

and a mint 70-300

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Lens at great prices. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens available from jessops.com with free delivery and collect at store service Shop Camera Jungle for used and second hand cameras & lenses. Best prices on top quality UK stock. Next day delivery available. Fully cleaned and tested with 12 months warranty.
            Last edited by seahawk; 2019-01-22, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              If you can get a D7100 for £430 with a lens then I would say “take their fingers off”. I have a D7200 and am very happy with the image quality.
              It’s on eBay, for body https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183623296949 for Lens https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153344521022

By the term ‘take their finger off’ I assume you mean get it?

Comment

Or go FF with a good looking D700:

and with this lens (used) it would give you a lot bang for the money

The Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G AF-S IF-ED Lens is a superb Nikkor Lens with features that make it a model unrivalled among others. With a high-power 4.3x Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor lens, the Nikon 70-300mm approximates the picture angle performance of a 105-450mm lens on 35mm SLR.. T...

or a hardly used D300S

Nikon D300S Body at great prices. 12.3 megapixel stills plus HD movie recording and dual SD & CF card compatibility Shop Camera Jungle for used and second hand cameras & lenses. Best prices on top quality UK stock. Next day delivery available. Fully cleaned and tested with 12 months warranty.

and a mint 70-300

https://www.camerajungle.co.uk/produ...vr-lens/166654
                For £320 the D7100 isn’t much more and it’s a fair bit better in terms of stats (no idea on actuallly shooting), the lenses seem awfully expensive £300 compared to £100 and less on eBay

Comment

Just with many more clicks on the body and no warranty. And the lens is not the same. Mine is the newer AF-S 70-300VR, yours is the old AF 70-300G - which is inferior and the product description is questionable as it gives Nikon 1 as mount.

Comment

Just with many more clicks on the body and no warranty. And the lens is not the same. Mine is the newer AF-S 70-300VR, yours is the old AF 70-300G - which is inferior and the product description is questionable as it gives Nikon 1 as mount.
                    What's the difference? I know with 3rd party lenses you lose sharpness, that's apparently why all my photos shot with my tamron lens are soft.

Comment

Scrap the Nikon D7100 for £430 it'll be £500 atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
                        What's the difference? I know with 3rd party lenses you lose sharpness, that's apparently why all my photos shot with my tamron lens are soft.
                        The difference between the 2 is that the AF-S version is considered a very good 70-300 which gives good results and is considered sharp. It focuses quickly and has the VR which helps with low shutter speeds. The old AF 70-300 is considered bad when it comes to image quality, the AF is slow and it has no VR. When the AF-S version came out most Nikon shooters rejoiced, that Nikon finally made a good 70-300.
                        Last edited by seahawk; 2019-01-23, 08:16.

Comment

It’s on eBay, for body https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183623296949 for Lens https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153344521022

By the term ‘take their finger off’ I assume you mean get it?
                          It’s a British saying to indicate taking possession of a bargain before the seller changes their mind.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            It’s a British saying to indicate taking possession of a bargain before the seller changes their mind.
                            I see what you mean now, I can't find many D7100 for under £400 in decent condition, quite a few 7D's under £300 however. If we're being honest I think the D7100 is a little too much for my budget, nonetheless a great camera but just a little too much.

Comment

The difference between the 2 is that the AF-S version is considered a very good 70-300 which gives good results and is considered sharp. It focuses quickly and has the VR which helps with low shutter speeds. The old AF 70-300 is considered bad when it comes to image quality, the AF is slow and it has no VR. When the AF-S version came out most Nikon shooters rejoiced, that Nikon finally made a good 70-300.
                              Is that why it costs a lot more? And is that the same for all -S lenses, like EF/EF-S

Comment

...And is that the same for all -S lenses, like EF/EF-S
                                The Canon nomenclature is different. EF-S lenses are for cropped sensor bodies and don't fit full frame cameras. It is not an indicator of lens quality or value. The Canon DSLRs you listed are all cropped sensor and can use both EF and EF-S lenses.

Comment

Working...
                                X