Need more zoom - lens suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more zoom - lens suggestions?

Hi! I'm not massively knowledgeable with lenses so was looking for a little help picking one out. I'm looking for more zoom with my 800D, currently use an EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. Are there potentially any stores that will let me use different lenses to find something that fits my needs better? My 800D was bought off a friend of mine with that lens and a nice carry case, and I've been having great fun with it over the last few months but it's definitely somewhat a gateway drug to me, not that I'm complaining There's a London Camera Exchange not far from me which might be a good place to have a poke around at some different gear? Are there other places I should be looking for?

I am more or less clueless being still very new to all this so any help is much appreciated Thanks!

I know Canon makes a 75-300mm lens. That will do you a lot of good. My D3400 (also a crop sensor) came with an 18-55 and a 70-300 and I use the 70-300 90% of the time. Teleconverters are another good option. You can find used ones for around $75.

Comment

For Canon I suggest you to go for 55-250

Comment

I always take the opportunity to plug my trusty Canon 55-250mm IS STM. It is excellent and surprisingly cheap. To give you an idea for zoom capability: on a crop frame body (like your 800D) it will fill the frame with your typical A320 or B738 from as far as ~425-450 meters. Although I find it difficult to get a truly sharp image when maxing out the focal length like that.

If cost is less of a concern then the new Canon 70-300mm (gen II) is supposed to be terrific and has come down in price. I have it in my sights for the future.

P.S. the Canon 75-300 lenses are mostly known for being cheap. Most versions don't have stabilization, I would stay away considering the many other options out there today.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf View Post
          Hi! I'm not massively knowledgeable with lenses so was looking for a little help picking one out. I'm looking for more zoom with my 800D, currently use an EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. Are there potentially any stores that will let me use different lenses to find something that fits my needs better? My 800D was bought off a friend of mine with that lens and a nice carry case, and I've been having great fun with it over the last few months but it's definitely somewhat a gateway drug to me, not that I'm complaining There's a London Camera Exchange not far from me which might be a good place to have a poke around at some different gear? Are there other places I should be looking for?

I am more or less clueless being still very new to all this so any help is much appreciated Thanks!
          Will LCE allow you to rent a lens for the weekend. Some companies, like Fixation in Kennington, will do that and I believe credit your rental payment against purchase.
          --
          David dubya Wilson

Comment

Working...
          X