Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANA Boeing 787 Dual Engine Shutdown Upon Landing

what the devil is this?

All Nippon Airways is currently investigating an incident that occurred on the 17th of January that saw both engines of one of their Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners shutdown simultaneously.Flight NH985 from Tokyo Haneda to Osaka Itami with 118 members onboard was rolling down the runway after touching down as per usual when the pilots noticed both Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines had shutdown upon activating the thrust reversers.
    With nothing to assist the aircraft off the runway, the crew let the aircraft roll until it came to a standstill 2450 meters (8030 feet) down the runway. The runway was subsequently closed before a tow truck arrived 40 minutes later. Despite going through checklists and troubleshooting over the phone with maintenance, the crew could not relight the engines.
    The following image, sourced from The Aviation Herald and taken by Yomiuri Shimbun (a Japanese newspaper), shows the aircraft disabled on the runway:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21367[/ATTACH]
    An All Nippon Airways Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner had both engine shutdown simultaneously upon landing, disabling the aircraft on the runway.
    Attached Files
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

The 787 has what is called a Thrust Control Malfunction Accommodation (TCMA) system and I think speculation is surrounding that system. It is there to react to runaway thrust situations ON THE GROUND (i.e uncommanded high thrust with thrust levers at low setting) by shutting down the engines. The mystery remains as to why the logic would have thought this was an uncontrollable high thrust event. A potential glitch there. But in any event, it can't happen in the air. So—if this was the cause—there is no real safety concern here.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      But in any event, it can't happen in the air.
      Can't?

I'm thinking Murphy's going to take that as a challenge.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
        Can't?

I'm thinking Murphy's going to take that as a challenge.
        Indeed.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
        X