Budget Nikon Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Nikon Lens

Hello everyone. I am currently using Tamron 70-300mm VC USD with Nikon D3300 but I am not satisfied with the lens. I am thinking to change the lens. I want to ask that shall I go for Nikon 55-300mm? I need it for high speed military jets. Will it work great? Suggest any other if you have in mind. Thanks alot

No, it won´t work great. The AF is rather slow on the 55-300.

You options are: (sorted by price)

Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP f/4.5-6.3 DX ED (requires the latest firmware on the D3300) - 400$

or

Nikon AF-S 70-300VR (for FX) ~ $500

or

Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP FX f/4.5-5.6E ED ~ 700-800$

Comment

The Nikon 55-300mm is a really poor option. You should take the time and dig in a couple of reviews and apart from a very handy zoom range you will find too much distortion and lack of sharpness only to name a few.

Since the Tamron is a trully decent lens I strongly suggest that you save up and go with the Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP FX f/4.5-5.6E ED which is the lens I am using now and totally love it. Very quick and silent autofocus, great detail in brief.

You can thank me later

Note: I am suggesting because my setup now is the D3300 with the Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP FX f/4.5-5.6E ED and while choosing my new lens I tried extensively the Tamron during regular commercial aviation sessions as well as during airshow action.

You may check results here. The setup used in each photo is visible
      JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

I own the 55-300mm and find it works well for commercial aircraft moving at relatively low speeds, where you don't need the full 300mm (that's where it becomes soft). The autofocus is not the quickest and you may want to look elsewhere as mentioned if you plan on photographing highspeed military jets.

Comment

Originally posted by gxaid View Post
          The Nikon 55-300mm is a really poor option. You should take the time and dig in a couple of reviews and apart from a very handy zoom range you will find too much distortion and lack of sharpness only to name a few.

Since the Tamron is a trully decent lens I strongly suggest that you save up and go with the Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP FX f/4.5-5.6E ED which is the lens I am using now and totally love it. Very quick and silent autofocus, great detail in brief.

You can thank me later

Note: I am suggesting because my setup now is the D3300 with the Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP FX f/4.5-5.6E ED and while choosing my new lens I tried extensively the Tamron during regular commercial aviation sessions as well as during airshow action.

You may check results here. The setup used in each photo is visible
          https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/74307
          Amazing photographs. What focus settings are you using?

Comment

Normally AF-C with Single-point AF and a steady eye-to-shutter finger connection :P
            However, I will be experimenting with the 3D-tracking in the near future.

Comment

I use Nikon 70-300mm VR AFP f/4.5-6.3 DX ED on Nikon D3400 and Im happy with it Example photos on my profile

Comment

Working...
              X