Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wrong/missing category

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    13

    Question Wrong/missing category

    Recently I uploaded a photo of Sounds Air Pilatus PC12 which recently got rejected because of 'JPG Compression Artefacts' (WHich I fully agree with and understand), and 'wrong or missing category' which I admit, I didn't select business jet for as I was unsure whether it was actually a business jet or not. But I had a look at some other uploads of the same registration and it doesn't appear to mention that the aircraft is a business jet, so it seems that whether it is doesn't matter if it is or isn't a business jet, and if it did couldn't it have been auto-filled or corrected by the screener?
    So in conclusion, what I am asking is that if there is a reason behind why it could be rejected
    Thanks, any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeb Claridge View Post
    Recently I uploaded a photo of Sounds Air Pilatus PC12 which recently got rejected because of 'JPG Compression Artefacts' (WHich I fully agree with and understand), and 'wrong or missing category' which I admit, I didn't select business jet for as I was unsure whether it was actually a business jet or not. But I had a look at some other uploads of the same registration and it doesn't appear to mention that the aircraft is a business jet, so it seems that whether it is doesn't matter if it is or isn't a business jet, and if it did couldn't it have been auto-filled or corrected by the screener?
    So in conclusion, what I am asking is that if there is a reason behind why it could be rejected
    Thanks, any help would be appreciated
    You will find your answer here: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...-to-Categories

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LX-A343 View Post
    I'm not talking to you personally but that is stupid, and still, why is it not auto-filled when I enter the registration, that would make a lot more sense

  4. #4
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeb Claridge View Post
    I'm not talking to you personally but that is stupid, and still, why is it not auto-filled when I enter the registration, that would make a lot more sense
    Just a tip for your future: Before openly telling, that something is stupid, maybe you want to ask, why it is the way it is.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LX-A343 View Post
    Just a tip for your future: Before openly telling, that something is stupid, maybe you want to ask, why it is the way it is.
    Ok, I see your point, what is the reason behind adding categories?

  6. #6
    Senior Member brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeb Claridge View Post
    Ok, I see your point, what is the reason behind adding categories?
    Category’s categorise an upload. That’s not being a smartass on my part, it’s intended to help with future searches. Say someone wants to search specifically for small props. If the uploader adds the Small Prop category then that picture will show up in any future search. With over 4 million images in the database showing various types and categories it sure as hell cuts down on search time.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Categoryís categorise an upload. Thatís not being a smartass on my part, itís intended to help with future searches. Say someone wants to search specifically for small props. If the uploader adds the Small Prop category then that picture will show up in any future search. With over 4 million images in the database showing various types and categories it sure as hell cuts down on search time.
    Thanks mate. I get what you mean and how it is used and i can see why an image, which, to no offence, sounds a little unreasonable, but I still don't understand why it needs to be done manually.

    Also thank you on one of your other posts explaining the jpeg compression, i now know what to do next time

  8. #8
    Member bleuair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LSAS
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Jakeb, thanks for hunting PC-12's in New Zealand. That's cool stuff to see them all around the world. I'm spotting at their factory airport so it's nice to see them "out in the field". Just for your future encounters with PC-12's: They are not propulsed by a Jet engine so they do never qualify as "Business Jet".
    They would certainly be a "Business Prop" but this category does not exist. Even worse in my humble opinion is the fact that the 4.7 ton aircraft seating 11 qualifies as "Small" Prop but hey that's the rules as per the link provided above.
    The fact that categories should be amended manually is likely driven by the fact that the system does not know initially what aircraft is being selected. You enter the reg and the airport and go. But the reg could be used by a different aircraft anytime. The "auto-fill" gives a C172 but maybe this ferry registration is now used on a B737. How should the system know? The Uploader is requested to carefully research the type of aircraft (down to the last digit and letter, it matters, I tell you ) and then the "auto-tick" of checkboxes would rather be wrong if all over sudden it's not a small aircraft but a huge business jet at night. The system doesn't know, hence you are requested to tick the boxes as carefully as you entered the other data.
    Now, keep 'em coming!
    .

  9. #9
    Senior Member brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,874

    Default

    It’s a bit of a guess on my part but the need to manually add categories I think stems from when registrations are reused and the site winds up with small prop (for instance) being applied to an airliner. The problem gets even bigger with military numeric registrations where many different aircraft from different countries can have the same registration. A classic example of this is the registration 27. A search reveals more than 10 different types from different countries which would involve the various categories such as Special Scheme, Business jet, Helicopter and Warbird/Vintage.
    The only way to have correct categories is to manually select as appropriate for each upload.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •