A380 - production ends in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    That’s NOT it. To my knowledge, in Europe A380s visit Frankfurt, Munich, Düsseldorf, Amsterdam, Paris CDG, Nice, Barcelona, Madrid, Vienna, Prague, Milan, Rome, Zurich, Moscow (I think SVO), London LHR and occasionally LGW, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Copenhagen. There may be others on occasional schedules, eg. Dublin, Stockholm. And that’s just Europe.
    + Hamburg (EK61, daily)

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
      That’s NOT it. .....London LHR and occasionally LGW,.......There may be others on occasional schedules, eg. Dublin, Stockholm. And that’s just Europe.
      Gatwick is a bit more than occasional.......3 daily, 7 days per week Dubai flights to/from London Gatwick
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        Gatwick is a bit more than occasional.......3 daily, 7 days per week Dubai flights to/from London Gatwick
        I think, that's it. Really not more than 2 A388 airports if the topic is 'How many different A388 airports do exist in 1 country.' And I think, that question has to be answered by BA-A388 and LH-A388 pilots.
        Do you know more than 1 airport in Great Britain for the BA-A388? Or, to be more simple, does a BA-A388 Flight Captain have to know more than Heathrow, concerning GB?

In Germany, it is like that. As a LH-A388 F/O, for you the one and only airport is Rhein/Main. Alternate airports (dt.: Ausweichflughäfen) in Germany for the LH-A388? None, afaik.

LH-B748 is a rare guest here at my home airport. But she is a beloved guest.

I could ask the jp database (or the EDDL control tower), during the last 3 years,
        was there 1 LH-A388 landing on my home airport? My answer is,
        No. And probably this is the answer to 'Is there a necessity to produce more A380 after 2021'

Since 2005, the fat baby has not been supported. At least neither by you nor by me. 1 A388 airport per country is not enough, in my eyes. If you ask me, now the A388 almost ends like the Concorde, without the explosive end. Not really enough airports were able to support these a/c types.

Or what's the reason that together with the Dutch Diesel we celebrate 50 years in the air for the type 747.

PS: I don't say that Intercontinental airlines who still operate the 744, after all those 30 years, know more. But it's obvious, none of them has ever owned a 737-Max8 with mcas failure.. It's obvious, I really love intercontinental airlines who are older than me.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

And, if he does not kick me out for 'too much entries in 1 topic'...

Since 1978, there always have been locations which have been made for the type 747, and for nobody else:

KL-B744 with new KL wave design at Chek Lap Kok, 2019.

This is a 747 airport, and nothin else, also if you asked my favorite airline today.

PS: Don't misunderstand me. I've never been a real enemy for the A380. But there must be reasons/airlines who never decided to buy 1 A380.
          A real all-time classic, Cathay Pacific. They still fly the 747, B748 Freighter version. And they decided for the A350 passage and against A380.
          An A380 freighter never was available.
          So, imho Cathay Pacific is not the only end but one end for the A380 story. You can also ask LH Cargo (MD11F) ..

Men (and women?!), we shouldn't underestimate the power of semi-pro simulators by Captain Randazzo. He never published an A380. Instead (dt: anstelledessen), which a/c type still today (again) is on top of his www appearance? - Not the MD11 fsx anno 2013..
          -
          And next year. A Randazzo A350? One thing still makes the difference between a LH-A359 and a 747. Not the wingspan. But the MTOW. A359 is such a lightweight, LH operates it with not more than 590,000 lb. With my avatar, I'd accept that as MLW (630 k). 293 seats. Vs 350. So, who do you call if you need 350 seats.
          Nevertheless. I'd know at least three classic intercontinental airlines who'd buy a Randazzo A350: Cathay Pacific, KLM, and a rather unimportant German airline with a bird on the tailfin..
          I mean, I can understand how a man becomes physically addicted from the type 747.. Who if not me:
          -
          Here at my home airport most of the time we use the t/o to the West. So, let me make a scenario. LH-B748, first of all Mike, then we receive clearance, 23L. I really regret, I wasn't there during her last visit, February 2018? If you ask me, with TORA 2645, I'll always set parking brakes. Then let all 4 engines scream a little bit. Then release brakes. Then accelerate to Vr. Then the 747 sound. Unique on this planet. Then rotate. Probably only thing in bed could be better than that, only if it's really good.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-03-12, 06:21. Reason: Don't ask me for the perfect recipe. A350?

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
            I think, that's it. Really not more than 2 A388 airports if the topic is 'How many different A388 airports do exist in 1 country.' And I think, that question has to be answered by BA-A388 and LH-A388 pilots.
            Do you know more than 1 airport in Great Britain for the BA-A388? Or, to be more simple, does a BA-A388 Flight Captain have to know more than Heathrow, concerning GB?

In Germany, it is like that. As a LH-A388 F/O, for you the one and only airport is Rhein/Main. Alternate airports (dt.: Ausweichflughäfen) in Germany for the LH-A388? None, afaik.
            1) Well, LHR is BA's main hub, so where you would expect A380 to be? It's the same stuff with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Air France, Singapore Airlines etc. All of their A380s are flying from main hubs.
            2) As for Germany - this one is differrent, because LH has two main hubs - Munich also has A380 flights. Daily. Btw, I don't recall any German airport, apart from FRA, that has LH's B747 daily ops, so according to your logic it should be retired long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
              1) Well, LHR is BA's main hub, so where you would expect A380 to be? It's the same stuff with Emirates, Etihad, Air France, Singapore Airlines etc. All of their A380s are flying from main hubs.
              2) As for Germany - this one is differrent, because LH has two main hubs - Munich also has A380 flights. Daily. Btw, I don't recall any German airport, apart from FRA, that has LH's B747 daily ops
              Wow. I just thought, after all these years, I'm able to learn something new. But after all, we talk about this bird, don't we. At EDDL, even twice daily (!). Here it is.
              The A380, twice daily at Lohausen, March 2019.

I never said that EDDL officially is a LH-B748 airport. But I was able to find this one in the jp database. Now the task for you, was it an alternate for Rhein/Main, due to weather? Or was it just a friendly visit by my cute little bird. I just tried to edit my #19, but then you came along. ... The 747 sound. On idle, a rather quiet bass guitar. But then you put your hand on the throttle quadrant. And then the lead guitars step in. The A380 also has a bass guitar, but imho only 1 bird starts to whistle when U accelerate her. Uncomparable, and again, Thanks alot to Captain Randazzo. He quite perfectly captured my avatar! Here it is. And I still love her, after all those years.

LH-B748 at Lohausen, February 2018.
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-03-12, 08:30. Reason: Be prepared to rotate when she whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                1) Well, LHR is BA's main hub, so where you would expect A380 to be? It's the same stuff with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Air France, Singapore Airlines etc. All of their A380s are flying from main hubs.
                2) As for Germany - this one is differrent, because LH has two main hubs - Munich also has A380 flights. Daily. Btw, I don't recall any German airport, apart from FRA, that has LH's B747 daily ops, so according to your logic it should be retired long time ago.
                Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                Wow. I just thought, after all these years, I'm able to learn something new. But after all, we talk about this bird, don't we. At EDDL, even twice daily (!). Here it is.
                The A380, twice daily at Lohausen, March 2019.

I never said that EDDL officially is a LH-B748 airport. But I was able to find this one in the jp database. Now the task for you, was it an alternate for Rhein/Main, due to weather? Or was it just a friendly visit by my cute little bird. I just tried to edit my #19, but then you came along. ... (...)

Come on LH-B744... it was pretty obvious what he meant... Lufthansa flies the A380 out of Frankfurt and out of Munich, whereas regular 747 ops are only based out of Frankfurt. Any pilot should be able and trained to land their A380 as well as their 747 at any suitable airport in Germany and adjacent countries in case weather or emergencies make it necessary (although I assume the operations centers of the various airlines will send diversions to airports that can handle an A380 or 747 logistically and concerning possible accommodation requirements for a large number of stranded passengers). Apart from that there are a whole bunch of airports around Europe that get regular A380 traffic (and I dare say a lot more than get 747 traffic), even if it's only the once or twice daily Emirates "Dubai shuttle".

But back on topic... ultmimately, the 747 and the A380 died or are dieing of the same problems: too big (to fill economicaly on most routes), too costly (to operate with four engines), too unflexible (to meet changing demands). The reason the 747 was a success is that it is the child of a different time and age. But the 747 would be in the twilight of its career by now, regardless of Airbus putting forth the A380 or keeping it on the shelves (where - as we now know - it belonged).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                  Come on LH-B744... it was pretty obvious what he meant... Lufthansa flies the A380 out of Frankfurt and out of Munich, [...]
                  That's the newest fact which I have learned since I am here!

Until this thursday, I was completely convinced that Lufthansa only knows 1 international airport for LH pilots with three type ratings, 744, 748 and 388:
                  Rhein/Main.

So, LH-A388 also start from the new Munich airport (since 1992, Landkreis Erding)?! It must be the tiny difference between us, oh you didn't really delete your airport code, I just thought you also had it in your 'location', you look South, and only South from Wahnerheide, don't you.

My viewpoint is more like, between Flensburg and Leinfelden-Echterdingen. That includes the Dutch Diesel here at jetphotos. So, you could ask me, let's go to Schiphol when they receive their first KL-A359. That btw is less than 100 nautical miles away from here, Spohr and the men who owned his position before him always start to protest when I say, Schiphol from my viewpoint is closer than Rhein/Main. I should finally end this discussion, with a (dt:_) Lineal.

So, LH-A388 routes which start in Erdinger Moos?! Don't say KSFO. That's my avatar.

Comment

So to end the discussion, Schiphol or Rhein/Main..

DUS - AMS : 230 km, 2 hours and 20 minutes in a hopefully rather fast car. Fiat 500 Abarth
                    (140 hp, 0-100 km/h in 7.9 seconds, vmax 205 km/h)

DUS - FRA : 234 km, 2 hours and 23 minutes in the same car.

You better don't try to compete with somebody who since more than 30 years knows his little Lohausen International Airport!

PS: I just asked my favorite airline. My #23 only was a rough guess! 10 seconds ago they confirmed it:
                    LH #458, Erdinger Moos 1635 local CET - and they arrive in the SF Bay at 1935, flight duration 12 hours and zero minutes. So, am I able to know my favorite airline by intuition. And I am a little mean guy, let me compare that to the
                    Lufthansa Winter Schedule January 2010..
                    LH #454, Rhein/Main 0955 local CET - In the SF Bay at 1220, flight duration 11 hours and 25 minutes. type?

Well in my eyes SFO stays a LH-B744 destination.

You have to trust me, until you told me, I had no idea that there is a second German International airport for LH-A388 flights, besides Rhein/Main!
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-03-14, 01:59. Reason: Sorry, somewhen during the nightshift I seem to have lost the "don't "

Comment

Working...
                    X