Southwest cancels multiple flights and declares "operational emergency"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest cancels multiple flights and declares "operational emergency"

Southwest Airlines has been forced to cancel hundreds of flights since late last week because of mechanical problems with its fleet. CNN’s Alison Kosik reports.

If I remember my elementary statistics and Poisson theory correctly, the probability of 40 or more aircraft randomly experiencing mechanical issues simultaneously in a fleet of 700 is astonishingly low, assuming the mean is just 2-3 aircraft per day. Anyone care to speculate (or know?) what's happening with Southwest's 737s?

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
    Anyone care to speculate (or know?) what's happening with Southwest's 737s?
    Unions.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Unions.
      MBAs and Six Sigma and LEAN methods.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

They are all 737-Max and nobody knows how to fly them.

Comment

Ah yes all the -700s being grounded are MAXes. Thanks for your valuable insight!

Comment

Originally posted by klaxspotting View Post
            Originally posted by Evan View Post
            They are all 737-Max and nobody knows how to fly them.
            Ah yes all the -700s being grounded are MAXes. Thanks for your valuable insight!
            on a message forum using the color blue to show that you are being sarcastic. Started at IMDB Avatar and Naruto forums.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Anyone think there might be a connection with recent events?

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
                Anyone think there might be a connection with recent events?
                From what I read yesterday, the 737-MAX accounts for a little over 6% of Southwest's ASM's, so I don't think the groundings will have an 'emergency' impact. (And blue font is sarcasm - I didn't seriously think this was a MAX issue in my previous post - although it turned out to be a bit of a harbinger...).

Comment

The sarcasm interpretation level here is very low...

I know Evan tends towards lack and white, but I didn't have any trouble interpreting his comment that all SWA 737's are -MinLavs. His sense of humour is good...

Then again, I am, on extremely rare circumstances, a bit sarcastic...It's generally a good indication that a largely inaccurate statement might be sarcastic.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

3BS Survives near-death experience...

Rode a 737-not-max with a really nasty orange-blue livery today.

We left on time.

The plane was very full and a bit uncomfortable.

We arrived on time.

I got a cup of OJ and a bag of pretzels.

I did not did died.

I noted two slightly unique things:

1: Textbook upwind roll inputs on the takeoff roll- I was on the upwind side. Somewhat noticeable spoiler deflection at the beginning of the takeoff roll...then progressively lowered as we increased speed...then more of an as-needed response as we got near lift off. I know this is done in the industry, but it's very rare that I have noticed crosswind inputs on giant, heavy, wind-resistant airliners.

2: We float past the fixed distance marker...a little more nose up- and then a final little shove down to a slightly firm planting...I'm sure it happens sometimes- but usually I cannot detect a little nose-over to force touchdown.

Comment

Working...
                    X