BREAKING: Boeing 767 cargo jet operated by Atlas Air has crashed in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flashcrash View Post

Link to the public docket incorporating the July 27 2020 updates (with Feb 7 2020 statement from Atlas) is below:
    I am really impressed by Atlas's report. It is not just a "statement" from Atlas, it is their own NTSB-like full 95-pages accident report, with factual information, analysis, findings, cause, contributing factors, safety recommendations and exhibits.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Well this accident scratched an old itch.

I always told my students and the pilots that worked for me to remember one thing. You are up in the sky flying by the grace of God, since I don't see any feathers on your arms. Also it's not the fall from altitude that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

In my 45 years in aviation I watched many things change. One thing remained constant, every takeoff requires a landing. Over the years we've added autopilots, Flight Management Computers and many systems that think for the pilot. And that's where the hazard comes from. When the aircraft starts thinking for the pilot, the pilot is just there to taxi in and out. Think about what the aircraft is doing, what you are asking it to do. Confirm what you see or what the aircraft to do visually and confirm it with your instruments. Make that a habit as the one that will bite you invariably won't be the one you train for.

When I was a Chief Pilot I had some of the best in the industry working for me. We had one of the best training departments in the industry. I had a crew on a pitch black night in the 747 experience a Boeing failure that caused the aircraft roll over and split S at FL300. They recovered safely and made an emergency landing even though they went through the speed of sound (M1.06). Another crew and another Boeing failure caused the number 2 engine pylon to fail taking the engine and all of the wing from the fuselage to the number 1 engine all the way back to the main spar, to leave the aircraft. Again a safe return to landing.

When you fly make yourself part of the aircraft. Hand fly it often so you can feel what it's trying to tell you. And then listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
        When you fly make yourself part of the aircraft. Hand fly it often so you can feel what it's trying to tell you. And then listen.
        Actually, this 'feeling it' aspect was the problem. Trusting the instruments over what the feeling is trying to tell you is how you avoid these accidents. That has proven to be a hard sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post

Actually, this 'feeling it' aspect was the problem. Trusting the instruments over what the feeling is trying to tell you is how you avoid these accidents. That has proven to be a hard sell.
          I think that's the listening part.

Comment

Working...
          X