Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British Airways fly-by salute, or...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkGTg_UOBNY

Something's not cricket here. PIO?
    Did I mention that I hate forum entries where the a/c type is not mentioned? So, let me guess, British Air to Gibraltar, the only rwy is
    09/27 with a length of 1670 meter.

The video shows a jet with 2 engines. Only a rough guess, not a British B744. Now for the experts, which is the biggest jet you would
    like to land on a 1600 m (5,200 ft) strip . I'd say, that definitely depends on the alt AMSL. LXGB is 15 AMSL.

Since a few weeks I operate an experiment with Brazilian airports, just to understand what happened, or better, what did not happen on flight Varig #254,
    September 3rd, 1989, on board a VG-B732... Spatial disorientation, if you ask me, and they even received 2 US-Dollars for what they did, per month, but as I hope not after 09/89!

There is one difference. To Guarulhos, I used what we always use, the B747 (simulator by Randazzo). For the infamous Uberaba - Uberlândia - Goiânia - Brasília - Imperatriz - Marabá route,
    with a final arr at Belem, I use a Beech King Air 350. Brazilian strips are so short. Imho, SNAG Araguari is too high and too short for a Beech B350.
    SNAG is 1490 meters short, @ 3107 AMSL . That's why even x and y (pilot names are not mentioned) did not try Araguari in their 737-200.

So, let's say, I'd try Gibraltar in a Beech King Air 350 simulator. But what happens if I asked Flight Captain Spohr. 1600 m is short, not to say really f* short for the t/o of a fully loaded LH-A320, isn't it..

PS: For all people who don't yet have understood who has stolen the summer temperatures in February 2019..
    Rio Galeao weather, +27°C OAT at this very moment? That's why we all love the LH-B744 thermometer, it's good for good news. I'd say, for the de Janeiro summer (southern hemisphere..), we definitely don't need an extra fuel temp thermometer..
    Last edited by LH-B744; 03-03-2019 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Rio Galeao weather? Well what do you assume in Brazil.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Evan, have you ever been able to visit the Southern Hemisphere? It's quite confusing..

The European winter is summer on SBGL Rio Galeao, and beginning with April 1st, they start into autumn (?!). But even with a night temperature in summer of +27°C, we would be very happy if not overwhelmed..

SBGL Rio Galeao time zone is EDDL minus 4. That sounds so very near. But nevertheless we need my avatar to reach the Copacabana.

Sorry for that off topic entry.
    Gibraltar never was a Boeing 747 topic, as far as I can remember. +13°C ? Sorry, but that's not a temperature which makes me board an a/c.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It looks intentional, based on the spoiler inputs (and the lack of screams inside the plane).
    And little or no turbulence- camera appears steady and don’t see wing flex. Screams fly-by/air show/something.

I sure hope they briefed and consulted manuals, checklists and placards.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.