Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAW or JPEG

Hello all!
    I've recently tried shooting with RAW, but I'm running into a problem.

Because there are so many pixels in a RAW shot, I can't upload it to JP. I'd have to crop it down to less than 1/2 the plane to meet the pixel standards..

Any tips or suggestions?

Included is a photo taken with RAW mode. It's high quality, clear and crisp, but too many pixels to upload to JP. Is it too late to fix the issue with this photo?
    This particular photo is 4385X3316

So, should I switch to JPEG?

Thanks!

AndrewClick image for larger version

Name:	Amazon 763 (Photo by Kevin, SL1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	1045912
    Andrew - CVG Spotter
    Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Originally posted by AndrewBison View Post
    Hello all!
    I've recently tried shooting with RAW, but I'm running into a problem.

Because there are so many pixels in a RAW shot, I can't upload it to JP. I'd have to crop it down to less than 1/2 the plane to meet the pixel standards..

Any tips or suggestions?

Included is a photo taken with RAW mode. It's high quality, clear and crisp, but too many pixels to upload to JP. Is it too late to fix the issue with this photo?
    This particular photo is 4385X3316

So, should I switch to JPEG?

Thanks!

Andrew[ATTACH=CONFIG]22091[/ATTACH]
    I'm not sure you understand the difference between raw and jpeg. They are different file formats, jpegs being compressed versions of the raw file. The number of pixels is unrelated to the file format, both the jpeg and raw file will have the same number of pixels, and you will also be unable to upload a jpeg that is too large. The image you posted is a jpeg, not a raw file. Browsers would not be able to display raw files properly. Perhaps you are referring to the difference between file sizes? Most cameras will produce jpegs of varying resolution, and if you're asking if you should set the highest resolution, the answer is yes. Downsizing the larger resolution to something you would be able to upload should be a simple task for whatever software you are using to edit the image.

Best you read up a little on the actual difference between the file formats and the pros and cons of each, but again, pixel size is not really a component of the discussion unless you are talking only about the jpeg resolution settings on your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      I'm not sure you understand the difference between raw and jpeg. They are different file formats, jpegs being compressed versions of the raw file. The number of pixels is unrelated to the file format, both the jpeg and raw file will have the same number of pixels, and you will also be unable to upload a jpeg that is too large. The image you posted is a jpeg, not a raw file. Browsers would not be able to display raw files properly. Perhaps you are referring to the difference between file sizes? Most cameras will produce jpegs of varying resolution, and if you're asking if you should set the highest resolution, the answer is yes. Downsizing the larger resolution to something you would be able to upload should be a simple task for whatever software you are using to edit the image.

Best you read up a little on the actual difference between the file formats and the pros and cons of each, but again, pixel size is not really a component of the discussion unless you are talking only about the jpeg resolution settings on your camera.
      OK, yeah I get it now..

I was able to get it in the queue, and I guess we'll see how it goes.

How would you rate the photo?

Thanks again for clarifying this. I've been shooting photos for a few years, but I still don't know everything yet lol.

Thanks,
      Andrew - CVG Spotter
      Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

ALWAYS SHOOT RAW!

If your camera has the option, use it. It is a must for all photography.

The only time you use JPEG is when you quickly need the photo and you don't intend on using the image for heavy editing or professional use. Its fine for home use i guess.

The benefit of using the RAW format is that you get the FULL non-compressed version of the image, compared to the compressed and limited JPEG version. Meaning that you can recover the image if its over/underexposed. Also deeper editing is avalible with RAW.

I have never had any problems uploading RAW photos to the queue, my camera is 36MP. Remember to have your photo set to your allowed size.

-BTW, i know the post has been answered, i wrote this for anyone else wanting to know the difference.

Thanks, Mitch
        View me on JetPhotos

Comment

I shoot RAW a lot but I also shoot jpeg fine a lot. Generally for thin clouds, near sunset, in the terminal, or any other time the camera might have trouble judging the white balance I shoot in RAW. Otherwise I use jpeg fine. Some people may think I'm crazy for shooting jpeg when I can shoot Raw, but it works for me. I can preview jpegs full screen and they take up less space on the memory card. RAW is always good. You can still do good stuff with jpeg as this shows. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9180296 That's what works for me.

Comment

I know I'm not the person you asked, but the tail (registration) is blurry, most likely as a result of being close and not being able to track the whole plane as it changed angles quickly. Judging from experience, that most likely won't slip through, and I'm not sure if it is fixable. I'm not a screener though, so if someone looked at it differently and thinks it is fine feel free to correct me.

Comment

OK, yeah I get it now..

I was able to get it in the queue, and I guess we'll see how it goes.

I can't comment on its chances for acceptance for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the attachment in your first post is not the same as what you submitted.

If you'd like further editing advice, please use the Digital Photo Processing forum, but be sure to read the suggestions thread before doing so.

Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!

Comment

Originally posted by meeshboi View Post
                ALWAYS SHOOT RAW!
                If you expose your photos correctly in the first place, I personally don't agree with this statement. I (like Michael), typically shoot JPG unless I'm shooting in a challenging scene or a night shot. On a blue, sunny sky kind of day, JPG will be perfectly sufficient for upload to JP. Additionally, as a beginner I'd suggest JPG as an easier format to start your hobby with.

Professionals I agree should tend to use RAW more often, but even in the professional world, I'm sure some get excellent results with the output as JPG.

DON'T ALWAYS SHOOT RAW (unless you want to of course..)
                Best regards,
                Dave

Saving the World, One Screened Image at a time...

Comment

OK - Thanks everybody for the help, tips and feedback!

I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
                  Andrew
                  Andrew - CVG Spotter
                  Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Originally posted by meeshboi View Post
                    ALWAYS SHOOT RAW!
                    There is no need to shoot RAW except weather conditions are tricky, thin cloud passes, humid weathers, especially in asia region. The maximum quality you can upload to JP 1920 and this is enough for the jpeg.

No need to say, the body you use affects some conditions.

Personally I'm shooting JPEG to get rid of the extra editing process of RAW, which makes my job very easy. I hope I have more time for one day to shoot RAW and editing process.

Comment

I shoot jpg 98% of the time when shooting aircraft, as today's white balance systems work so well under natural light that RAW is not worth the extra effort in editing. I use RAW on paid assignments, for weddings, events, in not natural light or when the shot is really important to me.

Comment

I’ve done loads of professional work the last 5 yrs in different genres. Typically, on commercial work I use camera bodies that have 2 Memory slots. One records RAW and one jpeg. A good example - Equine events; there’s a need to get out images to editors and competitors quickly (jpegs) and have a RAW in case a particular image is needed for further work such as magazines, billboards etc..

Either way, it’s all about good technique in the first place and most of all - enjoy your photography
                        T

Comment

#RTFM

Comment

I'm a RAW convert. I used to shudder at the thought of having to deal with processing a raw file but now that I've been doing it for a few years, I go back to some older jpgs, and the flexibility to edit has vanished leaving me to think why I didn't start shooting raw earlier. I was forced to convert when I had the original 7D which produced some crazily noisy blue skies at ISO100 and shooting raw allowed me to used Adobe ACR to deal with the noise issue, and since then I haven't turned back, except the odd time on holiday for non aviation stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X