Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mplace - Screening and Editing Advice

Hello,
    I received my results yesterday of my last few submissions. All of my submissions were rejected for being over processed/bad post processing. The comment the screener left me yesterday for couple of my submissions was that I had "visible editing halos".

My question is, how do I fix halos or prevent them when editing or going to spot? I have lightroom to edit my photos and I also have a D3400 for a camera. I would appreciate any help on how I could fix this issue and potentially fixing these photos.

Here are the links to my last submissions:
    Froniter A320: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712352
    Lufthansa A350: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712262
    Allegiant A320: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712943
    United 777-300ER: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712945

Originally posted by mplace View Post
    Hello,
    I received my results yesterday of my last few submissions. All of my submissions were rejected for being over processed/bad post processing. The comment the screener left me yesterday for couple of my submissions was that I had "visible editing halos".

My question is, how do I fix halos or prevent them when editing or going to spot? I have lightroom to edit my photos and I also have a D3400 for a camera. I would appreciate any help on how I could fix this issue and potentially fixing these photos.

Here are the links to my last submissions:
    Froniter A320: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712352
    Lufthansa A350: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712262
    Allegiant A320: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712943
    United 777-300ER: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6712945
    Hi there. I'm not a screener. The halos in your photos are quite pronounced I'm afraid. They basically occur when you apply a bit too much editing to your photos, especially on things like exposure, contrast as well as the highlights and shadows sliders, hence you get an "over processed" rejection. I also use Lightroom to edit my photos and when I edit my photos I try not to move the sliders too much in either direction as that can result in over processing which can result in halos. Also I don't use sliders like clarity and vibrance and I try to avoid using the tonal curve sliders since the tone sliders already do a good enough job of editing the photo the way I want it. I follow the less is more philosophy. You don't need to over edit your photos to get the best out of them.

And also do you shoot in RAW or jpeg?

Comment

Originally posted by Pta Aviation View Post
      Hi there. I'm not a screener. The halos in your photos are quite pronounced I'm afraid. They basically occur when you apply a bit too much editing to your photos, especially on things like exposure, contrast as well as the highlights and shadows sliders, hence you get an "over processed" rejection. I also use Lightroom to edit my photos and when I edit my photos I try not to move the sliders too much in either direction as that can result in over processing which can result in halos. Also I don't use sliders like clarity and vibrance and I try to avoid using the tonal curve sliders since the tone sliders already do a good enough job of editing the photo the way I want it. I follow the less is more philosophy. You don't need to over edit your photos to get the best out of them.

And also do you shoot in RAW or jpeg?
      In addition to the previous comments. I don't know if your D-Lightning is on at your D3400. Switch it off. It causes garbage like halos for example in your editing.

Comment

Originally posted by wkd001 View Post
        In addition to the previous comments. I don't know if your D-Lightning is on at your D3400. Switch it off. It causes garbage like halos for example in your editing.
        Thank you for helping out and providing me with suggestions! I will remember not to toggle with the sliders on Lightroom too much. Hopefully that will help me in the future.

I believe I do have D-Lighting switched off, but I will check it next time I go out.

I do not shoot RAW. I shoot JPEG (Fine [the largest jpeg file nikon has]). I've shot RAW once but I had difficulties trying to import the files into Lightroom.

Comment

Thank you for helping out and providing me with suggestions! I will remember not to toggle with the sliders on Lightroom too much. Hopefully that will help me in the future.

I believe I do have D-Lighting switched off, but I will check it next time I go out.

I do not shoot RAW. I shoot JPEG (Fine [the largest jpeg file nikon has]). I've shot RAW once but I had difficulties trying to import the files into Lightroom.
          That is strange that you have difficulty importing RAW files into Lightroom cause I'm able to import my RAW file with no issues. What exactly was the issue that was making it difficult to import your RAW files? RAW is the best format to shoot in because it contains all the data that you need to edit your photo and maintain their quality. With jpeg the photos are basically processed in camera so much of the data contained in the files is lost and that can create problems when trying to edit with photo editing software such as Lightroom. Because of this loss of data, jpeg files (even at the highest quality) are very susceptible to problems like halos which are largely cause by a loss of quality due to over editing.

My best advice would to try shooting in RAW again and see if you can still import into Lightroom. If it still gives you problem and you have no choice but to shoot in jpeg then follow the technique I told you about before of not moving the sliders too much to avoid over processing the photos.

Comment

It also depend what kind of files your RAW files are. Or, NEF or DSC files. Normally LR shouldn't have problems with that. Check otherwise the settings of your camera, software and hardware. It really shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

I figured out how to upload NEF files into LR. I spent yesterday trying to spot with jpg and NEF files. There were a couple things I noticed:

1.) When I uploaded my photos, I noticed that the sky on the NEF files was extremely different compared to my jpg files. The jpg files are what the sky looked like yesterday.
              How do I go about fixing this? I don't want to adjust the blue hue in the photo too much but I want to make the sky look the way it did when I took my photo.
              Will screeners take this into account?

2.) There are also aqua and magenta outlines that can be seen over the portions of the aircraft. What does this mean and should I correct this? How do I correct this?

3.) The NEF files have an automatic sharpening setting of 40 amount unlike jpg. where they have 0 amount. Should I leave this alone or what should I do?

Here is an example of a photo I took in Jpg. and NEF yesterday:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	RAW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1032992

Name:	DSC_7466.jpg
Size:	946.4 KB
ID:	1032993

Comment

I figured out how to upload NEF files into LR. I spent yesterday trying to spot with jpg and NEF files. There were a couple things I noticed:

1.) When I uploaded my photos, I noticed that the sky on the NEF files was extremely different compared to my jpg files. The jpg files are what the sky looked like yesterday.
                How do I go about fixing this? I don't want to adjust the blue hue in the photo too much but I want to make the sky look the way it did when I took my photo.
                Will screeners take this into account?

2.) There are also aqua and magenta outlines that can be seen over the portions of the aircraft. What does this mean and should I correct this? How do I correct this?

3.) The NEF files have an automatic sharpening setting of 40 amount unlike jpg. where they have 0 amount. Should I leave this alone or what should I do?

Here is an example of a photo I took in Jpg. and NEF yesterday:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]21877[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]21878[/ATTACH]
                The jpeg has simply had WB and lens correction adjustments applied in camera. With the NEF file you will need to make such adjustments manually when converting to jpeg. What should you do? Adjust the images however you see fit. Much steeper learning curve if you're not relying on the camera to do everything for you, but imho much better in the long run as you'll eventually be able to make such decisions and compensate for other variables on your own.

Comment

mplace - Screening and Editing Advice

Hello,
                  I photographed this 747-8i in RAW and JPEG formats. The attached file is a RAW edit I made in Lightroom and sized down to 1280x720px in Photoshop. In Lightroom, I didn't toggle with any of the highlight or shadow sliders. I check marked the two options for lens corrections. My sharpening settings were 48 amount, 1.3 radius, 39 detail, 30 luminance.

Is this worthy by JP standards? If not, can it be corrected and how so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have a good day!

Name:	D-ABYAmplace.jpg
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	1033178

Comment

Hello,
                    I photographed this 747-8i in RAW and JPEG formats. The attached file is a RAW edit I made in Lightroom and sized down to 1280x720px in Photoshop.
                    This would be rejected for contrast (editing halos), overprocessed, dirty, and possibly soft. The latter issues may be correctable, the former maybe not due to the apparent lack of direct light.

In the future please keep all editing questions/requests to one thread.

Comment

Hi again,

I hope I am replying to the correct thread for editing/pre-screening advice.

I am curious if these images would be accepted. I'm worried that they will be declined for compression. If they are, how can I fix this? I uploaded the original RAW files into LR and exported copies of them at a resolution of 300ppi. I opened the exported copies in photoshop and resized them by playing with the resolution until the long side was at 1280px long. I then save the photos at 12 quality. Is there a different way I should be resizing them? How do I resize the correct way?

1. Click image for larger version

Name:	N621VA.jpg
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	1033539

2. Click image for larger version

Name:	N26909.jpg
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	1033540

3. Click image for larger version

Name:	N920DN.jpg
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	1033541

Thank you for you help! Have a good day!

Comment

Hi again,

I hope I am replying to the correct thread for editing/pre-screening advice.

I am curious if these images would be accepted. I'm worried that they will be declined for compression. If they are, how can I fix this? I uploaded the original RAW files into LR and exported copies of them at a resolution of 300ppi. I opened the exported copies in photoshop and resized them by playing with the resolution until the long side was at 1280px long. I then save the photos at 12 quality. Is there a different way I should be resizing them? How do I resize the correct way?

1. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22520[/ATTACH]

2. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22521[/ATTACH]

3. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22522[/ATTACH]

Thank you for you help! Have a good day!
                        I don't see compression being an issue. Maybe a touch soft in places, but they would be ok for me.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you so much for checking them out for me.

Comment

Hi JP community,

Earlier this year I submitted this photo of one of United's 787-10's in Denver. It was rejected for it being "Over-processed". This photo was taken before I started getting into shooting RAW. While editing this file in LR, I made sure I was not moving the shadow and highlight sliders. Is there anything else I can do to recover this photo? I understand if this cannot be saved for JP standards, just thought it would be cool to get the first photo of the aircraft in Denver. Thank you for your help and advice as always!

Name:	N17002.jpg
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	1033727

Comment

Hi JP community,

Earlier this year I submitted this photo of one of United's 787-10's in Denver. It was rejected for it being "Over-processed". This photo was taken before I started getting into shooting RAW. While editing this file in LR, I made sure I was not moving the shadow and highlight sliders. Is there anything else I can do to recover this photo? I understand if this cannot be saved for JP standards, just thought it would be cool to get the first photo of the aircraft in Denver. Thank you for your help and advice as always!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22736[/ATTACH]
                              Unfortunately halos can't be removed from a jpeg. If they're there in the original, there's nothing you can do it about it. I assume you had the D-Lighting feature in your D3400 turned on?

Comment

Working...
                              X