Noob here, want some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob here, want some help

Hey, so I'm new to this whole thing and I tried uploading some 5 photos to jetphotos, all of which were rejected. I was kind of expecting it, except for one picture which I thought was my best. I read the submissions guidelines but I struggled to understand which ones apply to mine and which ones don't, since the rejection was because of overall poor quality.

Does that mean simply bad resolution, colours, blurryness, etc., or is it something more specific?

I'd really apprecciate some help.

And here's the picture I'm referring to (I'm not sure how easy it is to view, so if you have a suggestion please tell me): https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7137294

Sorry, I don't know why it attatched two photos. I'm referring to the Air France 777, not the TAM 767.Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_5353.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1045914
    Attached Files

First of all - welcome to JetPhotos
    Then - always try to keep the sun behind you - backlit is a killer... both your examples are backlit, whole plane is in shade. Try to avoid this.
    Pics are also very soft. It may be fixed during processing by sharpening a bit.
    Also - avoid such crops - as cut off engines, windows or wheels.
    That's for a starter, hope it helps
    Tom

Comment

Thanks a lot. I do have some photos that have the plane illuminated, one of which was rejected. On a picture like this, what is the recommendation?

(sorry again, I don't know why I can't find a way to delete attatchments, I am refering to the Latam 788, not the AA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_5152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1033212
      Attached Files

Comment

American is backlit, and I’ll leave a screener to comment on the other photo and other aspects of the American.
        Rule of thumb - if you can look in a forward direction and see the sun, then you are shooting backlit. Try to always keep the side of the plane you are shooting out of the shadow, like it is in your first two and your American shot. The LATAM is fine in terms of lighting position though, so just use that as reference

Comment

Thanks so much, that's what I thought. I'll do my best next time and get the lighting position right.

As far as the Latam is concerned, you said it is the lighting position which is fine, but I assume it shouldn't be a reference when it comes to sharpness or contrast or any of the other issues?

Comment

Originally posted by nicochile View Post
            I assume it shouldn't be a reference when it comes to sharpness or contrast or any of the other issues?
            I wouldn’t say reference point, but if it is not JP quality (which I am not in the place to comment on), I would use it and its flaws as things to not do or do better in subsequent photos. So use it as more of a building block. For example, try to avoid obstructions like lights (although they aren’t terrible in this) and try to get the entire aircraft into the frame if possible. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I do have some photos that have the plane illuminated, one of which was rejected. On a picture like this, what is the recommendation?

(sorry again, I don't know why I can't find a way to delete attatchments, I am refering to the Latam 788, not the AA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22136[/ATTACH]
                The Latam shot has dead space to the top, bottom and right side. Try cropping to 16x9. This shot will never be acceptable due to the runway lights in front of the landing gear, but a sharp well cropped version of that shot with no obstructions would be perfect.

Comment

Thanks so much, that's what I thought. I'll do my best next time and get the lighting position right.
                  Hey dude, welcome to Jetphotos!

Try using the following website for avoiding backlighting, it shows you where the sun will be at various times of the day which can be really useful in planning which time and which spots to use:

http://suncalc.net

All the best and happy spotting!

Kindest Regards,
                  Jordan W

Comment

Hello and welcome. The guidelines are not complicated. Only, perhaps, a little long to read, but you have to know them in order to start to understand how JP likes uploads.
                    Then you will have to take advantage of the rejected, read the e-mail that arrives and act accordingly.
                    It's good for you to see the photos of the other uploaders, especially if there are those of the place where you take your shots. This is a fantastic advantage; it is also an advantage if you can discuss directly with other local spotters. They certainly can help you with shooting and post-production techniques. I see your photo shots in Santiago de Chile. If that is your place you can try to contact some local spotters also via JP messaging. I see that one of the best is Carlos P. Valle C.
                    Finally, this forum is great, thanks to the discussions with the other uploaders I have improved my upload rating.
                    It uses a lot the section dedicated to the Digital Photo Processing Forum, because with the pre screening you can have a lot of advice on your shots.
                    Sorry my bad english.

Comment

Working...
                    X