Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4X - Opinions

Hi everyone,
    I plan to buy EF200-400mm lens,but I am a bit afraid of its weight, 3620g, I need hand-held shooting, because Aviation Photography is difficult to use a tripod.
    Anyone who uses a similar weight lens can give me some advice?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1045930

Oh Wouah.... just wouah... what a lens and... price

Comment

Great lens. You could try using a gimbal head on a monopod but tbf is just suck it up. It’s a heavy lens but just put it down when you’re not using it. Tips for it to be less heavy? Go to the gym and get stronger but beyond that not a lot. If you find it too heavy you could always send it my way and I’ll take it off your hands. Why are you opting for the 200-400 though? Will you really need the bigger f/4 aperture? Will you really notice the optical quality for the majority of stuff you do? If weight is a really big consideration then best of going for the much more versatile and cheaper 100-400. All valid considerations!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilA330 View Post
        Great lens. You could try using a gimbal head on a monopod but tbf is just suck it up. It’s a heavy lens but just put it down when you’re not using it. Tips for it to be less heavy? Go to the gym and get stronger but beyond that not a lot. If you find it too heavy you could always send it my way and I’ll take it off your hands. Why are you opting for the 200-400 though? Will you really need the bigger f/4 aperture? Will you really notice the optical quality for the majority of stuff you do? If weight is a really big consideration then best of going for the much more versatile and cheaper 100-400. All valid considerations!
        It has a 1.4x extender,It can be quickly converted to a 560mm lens,I have a Canon EF 2.0X III telephoto extender,It doesn't work very well on 100-400mm.

Comment

I can tell you my experience with the Tamron 100 - 400 F / 4.5-6.3 VC USD.
          It weighs "only" 1135g (Canon) and is easily usable freehand. It does not fear the competition of the original Canon, indeed in some ways it exceeds it.
          Last but not least the price.
          As someone told you, do you really need F4? When it is dark, in the aeronautical photo it is better to enjoy them watching the airplanes.
          Sorry my bad english.
          Greetings

Comment

Hi everyone, I hope this message finds you all ok.
            First of all, if money is not an issue for you, since the intended 200-400mm lens costs US $ 11.000,00, just run for it.
            But I would not event think about purchasing such an expensive lens unless I was a professional photographer with a whole agenda that required me to constantly use this lens.
            Having said that I have a Canon 7d II camera, a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens and a Canon Extender EF 1.4X III. If you look up on the internet for this trio you will find a lot of information regarding this is an excelent choice for photography. I am extremely happy with them. And the Canon 100-400mm costs 1/5 and weights as much as 1/3 of the 200-400mm.
            I had been in military exercise taking pictures for all day long for three consecutive days. In the fourth day I was at the hospital, my arm was about to fall apart from the body. Then I started to use a monopod which helped me a lot for a couple of years. Now I am used to the camera and lens weight and I have properly worked out my arms (just like NeilA330 has suggested!).
            Finaly I would suggest you to deeply look for reviews regarding the image quality of the 200-400mm lens, when compared to other choices. If its quality is really unbeatable and - as I said - money is not a problem, then you already have your decision.
            Sorry for English language mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by YsMilan View Post
              It has a 1.4x extender,It can be quickly converted to a 560mm lens,I have a Canon EF 2.0X III telephoto extender,It doesn't work very well on 100-400mm.
              If you will it predominantly at the long end you could also the 400 f4 DO ll, even the new 400 28 lll would still be a lighter combination. Obviously you lose the versatility of the zoom.

Comment

It would be a dream to own that lens. Maybe one day if I win the lottery. For now my 100-400 will have to do.

Comment

Can be done hand held. The question is how often you will do it. I find lighter options more practical for every day use.

And yes you neck will hurt after a day with such a behemoth.

Comment

Originally posted by YsMilan View Post
                    Hi everyone,
                    I plan to buy EF200-400mm lens,but I am a bit afraid of its weight, 3620g, I need hand-held shooting, because Aviation Photography is difficult to use a tripod.
                    Anyone who uses a similar weight lens can give me some advice?
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22455[/ATTACH]
                    “I need hand held shooting “

Pls expand? I shoot commercial photography and have several camera / lens combos. The lens you speak of is very practical given certain criteria.

Huge investment and yes it’s heavy.

Happy to help as always with specific points, pls pm me,
                    T

Comment

After almost a year, I still bought it. I feel like it's almost perfect for aerial photography, but its weight is indeed a challenge.

Comment

I really wish I could afford buying one

Comment

Working...
                        X