No announcement yet.

Breaking news: Ethiopian Airlines flight has crashed on way to Nairobi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing is going to build a totally new airframe. It's the 797-Evan. It has all of the new gadgets that Evan and Gabriel want to be installed. Quadruple redundant systems for EVERYTHING. It will have a crew of 4 pilot's, 2 flight attendants and be able to carry 6 passengers all the way from Miami to Orlando.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      Boeing is going to build a totally new airframe. It's the 797-Evan. It has all of the new gadgets that Evan and Gabriel want to be installed. Quadruple redundant systems for EVERYTHING. It will have a crew of 4 pilot's, 2 flight attendants and be able to carry 6 passengers all the way from Miami to Orlando.
      Bobby, the 737 is an old design, modernized, yes, but still old and outdated. Get over that fact.

Embraer and Bombardier (now Airbus) are delivering FBW regional jets with all the latest gadgets, automation, safety features and redundancy that makes them among the best stupid-pilots-proof (and the statistics show, with virtually no accidents even when they have the least experienced crews with the hardest work, with several take-off and landings per day). And they are very efficient both in the useful loaf / empty load ration and in the fuel per pax per mile ratio, and with only 2 (cheap) pilots.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Bobby, the 737 is an old design, modernized, yes, but still old and outdated. Get over that fact.

Embraer and Bombardier (now Airbus) are delivering FBW regional jets with all the latest gadgets, automation, safety features and redundancy that makes them among the best stupid-pilots-proof (and the statistics show, with virtually no accidents even when they have the least experienced crews with the hardest work, with several take-off and landings per day). And they are very efficient both in the useful loaf / empty load ration and in the fuel per pax per mile ratio, and with only 2 (cheap) pilots.
        So glad I am retired!

Comment

So glad I am retired!
          You better believe it ! . Isla Nublar has one less to worry about...

Comment

• Originally posted by SmoothAir View Post
            Can you feel the love?

Comment

[Jetes de regionales]***And they are very efficient both in the useful load / empty load ratio and in the fuel per pax per mile ratio***
              Are you sure about this?

Have you ever witnessed, "There's some storms at our destination 2 hours away so we need to take some extra gas in case we have to hold or divert, so we need 2 volunteers to take the later flight"?

Obviously, they are wonderful to lay off higher-paid mainline pilots for the lower paid ones you mention- and maybe it's nice to have 4 flights a day to ORD instead of 2...of course then you have that deal with the additional commuting pilots needing a seats and belligerent medical doctors who don't want to get off.

Also, I am thinking their efficiency is down there with those awful, ancient 757's and MD-80s. I won't swear to it...but there are times when ammonium nitrate is more efficient than urea where I am more certain.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by SmoothAir View Post
                It's mostly because of little snot nosed kids like you that think you know everything that makes me really glad I am retired. You think some 30 year old with 6000 hours would have had the same outcome as Sully did putting that Airbus in the Hudson? I seriously doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Are you sure about this?

Have you ever witnessed, "There's some storms at our destination 2 hours away so we need to take some extra gas in case we have to hold or divert, so we need 2 volunteers to take the later flight"?
                  God I hope not. I don't ever want to board a flight that doesn't have that extra 'gas' in the first place.

Comment

You think some 30 year old with 6000 hours would have had the same outcome as Sully did putting that Airbus in the Hudson?
                    Yes, depending on what that 30-year old is made of. Have you been paying attention? For a pilot with bad habits 20,000 hours is just a lot of luck and bad habit practice. You shouldn't bad mouth the Ethiopian pilot. He was well-admired. How many 20,000 hour pilots have been flying commercial since the age of sixteen? I know, he didn't save the day, like you certainly would have, because human factors bounce off you like peas off Goliath. But have some sympathy for us mere mortals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      Yes, depending on what that 30-year old is made of. Have you been paying attention? For a pilot with bad habits 20,000 hours is just a lot of luck and bad habit practice. You shouldn't bad mouth the Ethiopian pilot. He was well-admired. How many 20,000 hour pilots have been flying commercial since the age of sixteen? I know, he didn't save the day, like you certainly would have, because human factors bounce off you like peas off Goliath. But have some sympathy for us mere mortals.
                      Yeah, right.

Comment

It's mostly because of little snot nosed kids like you that think you know everything that makes me really glad I am retired. You think some 30 year old with 6000 hours would have had the same outcome as Sully did putting that Airbus in the Hudson? I seriously doubt it.
                        You are cherry-picking. How many hours did the captain of KLM at Los Rodeos have? Have you heard the story of the very junior first officer who stayed awake and flew an emergency descent alone when the senior captain and flight engineer passed out after a decompression event?

There are very good pilots, there are very bad pilots, and everything in between. And while I'll admit that there is some correlation with experience, that correlation is far from perfect.

How good a pilot where you when you had "just" 6000 hours?

And how do you get to 20K hours without having 2k first at some point?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

You are cherry-picking. How many hours did the captain of KLM at Los Rodeos have? Have you heard the story of the very junior first officer who stayed awake and flew an emergency descent alone when the senior captain and flight engineer passed out after a decompression event?

There are very good pilots, there are very bad pilots, and everything in between. And while I'll admit that there is some correlation with experience, that correlation is far from perfect.

How good a pilot where you when you had "just" 6000 hours?

And how do you get to 20K hours without having 2k first at some point?
                          I never said that ALL young pilot's are like that. Luckily, most are not. I also as you know have been flying since I was a kid. However I have also lived it and Evan just reads about it. And the new guy strikes me as one of the " I know everything about aviation" at a very young age. Again Gabe you know me and my background. I did my first Atlantc crossing in a DC-3 with 2 ADF's, 2 VOR's a whiskey compass and a clock.

Comment

Evan just reads about it.
                            Oh, and I suppose my many hours on the SR-71 Converted Freighter mean nothing to you? She's a tigress but she's one hell of an airplane. That's all I've got to say about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              Oh, and I suppose my many hours on the SR-71 Converted Freighter mean nothing to you? She's a tigress but she's one hell of an airplane. That's all I've got to say about it.
                              My point exactly.

Comment

I never said that ALL young pilot's are like that. Luckily, most are not. I also as you know have been flying since I was a kid. However I have also lived it and Evan just reads about it. And the new guy strikes me as one of the " I know everything about aviation" at a very young age. Again Gabe you know me and my background. I did my first Atlantc crossing in a DC-3 with 2 ADF's, 2 VOR's a whiskey compass and a clock.
                                Fair point(s). Very basic Sperry AP too? No?

Comment

Working...
                                X