Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA flight to Düsseldorf diverts to Edinburgh. Seriously.

Default BA flight to Düsseldorf diverts to Edinburgh. Seriously.

How does this happen? I thought flight plans were downlinked directly to the FMS these days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    How does this happen? I thought flight plans were downlinked directly to the FMS these days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478
    These pilots not checking the magenta line and landing in the wrong runway...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Not really a diversion.

No. Not really a diversion. More of an excursion.

Indeed! Impressive to see both meanings of the word excursion captured in one short sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by flashcrash View Post
    Indeed! Impressive to see both meanings of the word excursion captured in one short sentence.
    The 2 meanings of diversion and the 2 meanings of excursion in one sentence.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The 2 meanings of diversion and the 2 meanings of excursion in one sentence.
    Two [incomplete] sentences. Some blue font involved.

i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired. even the fa's know where they are supposed to be flying.

i'm gonna guess that all major airlines have the same policies.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired.
    Because they did it on purpose. Another fine mystery solved on JetPhotos.net. I mean... .com.

That ruins my somatogravic illusion theory...

Is it possible that the passengers were taken to the wrong aircraft?

i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired. even the fa's know where they are supposed to be flying.

i'm gonna guess that all major airlines have the same policies.
    Flights plans are all submitted automatically without the pilots knowing crap. They flew to the right place, unfortunately the right place was the wrong place.

reminds me of the MH370, its spooky!

The crew seemed to know what they were doing, whether or not it was right. There was a “welcome to Edinburgh” announcement upon landing (that’s how most of the passengers realize they were at the wrong airport). If it went unnoticed or unchecked somehow, that wouldn’t have happened. Just makes it even more of a confusing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilA330 View Post
    Flights plans are all submitted automatically without the pilots knowing crap. They flew to the right place, unfortunately the right place was the wrong place.
    flight plans are independent of crew scheduling. the crew is assigned, or sometimes bids on and are then assigned, specific routes. once assignment is made, it is fed into the crew scheduling computer which is not part of the flight plan. this crew KNEW they were not scheduled to fly to edinburgh and apparently said nothing when they found out about it?

i think the only folks that "didn't know something was effed up" were the passengers.

flight plans are independent of crew scheduling. the crew is assigned, or sometimes bids on and are then assigned, specific routes. once assignment is made, it is fed into the crew scheduling computer which is not part of the flight plan. this crew KNEW they were not scheduled to fly to edinburgh and apparently said nothing when they found out about it?

i think the only folks that "didn't know something was effed up" were the passengers.
    I think pilots are fed up of the conditions of work. An opportunity to "protest" presented itself

also, every flight i've ever been on in the last 15 years, has had an announcement before takeoff stating the destination. AA, Copa, Avianca, TACA, SWA, BA, and Delta. i may have missed a few.

how is it that this flight took off with no announcements regarding destination? i imagine that if the FA had said, "welcome aboard BA flight 3271 with service to ?????? would the pax not have yelled, hey wtf?!?!?!

more and more a rod serling occurrence.

First of all, I believe this flight crew, flight attendants and aircraft all believed they were going to Edinburgh, and the flight crew briefed and prepared for such, via an automated flight plan. Clearly the passengers were put on the wrong aircraft.

Boarding passes are rarely examined these days in Europe at the point of entering the aircraft, especially on narrow body aircraft, and to the extent they are, it’s for seat guidance.

Another point not yet mentioned is that this wasn’t a British Airways aircraft. It was a WDL 146 subcontracted on an ACMI to BA Cityflyer, which code shares with British Airways. They may or may not have made an announcement. In this situation it’s possible no announcement was made. In any case there were only 5 passengers on board, it was a business flight, and who listens to flight announcements anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilA330 View Post
    Flights plans are all submitted automatically without the pilots knowing crap.
    Is that so?

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Is that so?
    Must be true, we read it here.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    Must be true, we read it here.
    Word choice means a lot. Doctors have cut off the wrong leg and killed people with the wrong meds.

Us outsiders can envision a couple of folks a bit fried from many days and many legs...they sit in the cockpit, do otherwise aswesome CRM, and take the airplane where the flight plan tells them to.

Is there some rock solid procedure to guarantee that this will never ever ever ever ever ever ever happen?...just like the doc using a red sharpie pen to write “NOT_THIS ONE” on your good leg?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.