Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BA flight to Düsseldorf diverts to Edinburgh. Seriously.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
    As far as the Cessna, low fuel, and landing at Sarasota, those were 2 separate incidents. Landing at the wrong airport was all on my dad and the Cessna. The Sarasota landing was a commercial JetBlue flight which, as far as I can tell, was handled fine. It was just weird and disorienting (likely compounded by early morning red eye).
    Hey. Welcome back to this cute little aviation platform. I hope that you're not embarrassed because I said 'Junior'. I just wonder what I wrote in my 21st forum entry here. My entry #21? I don't know, that must've been in the 18th century..

Evan started this topic, and I tried to find the source which he mentioned a few months ago. And well, this is the BBC, they don't simply delete something. The link is still active.

They published a map which contains all three airports,
    1. London City airport, the scheduled departure.
    2. Edinburgh airport, the airport which nobody expected.
    3. And finally DUS. The scheduled arr.

I still wonder what happened in that BAe 146 cockpit. And again the codes which I had used for this flight:
    dep EGLC (London City)
    arr EDDL (Düsseldorf International).

That's it. Now I could describe what happens if you use a 747 fmc. Somewhen during the preflight procedure, the fmc tells you, aha, I have found the departure, i.e.
    that's the airport where you and your aircraft is at, now. You can add more detail, e.g. gate number, and if it is a major airport, the fmc shows you the global position for this gate,
    N51°30'19 E0°3'19 .
    What would I do then is, compare this position with the on board gps. If you see major deviations, then either you've mistyped the four letter code for the departure,
    or that airport has changed its global position.

To make it short. I still don't see a chance to not only feed the fmc which alot of crap like Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf, but after all you say 'activate', and then you say 'execute'. So, you feed the fmc with crap and you confirm it twice before you take off? Impossible, in my eyes, to stay polite.

I should mention the EDDL data, so please, DO NOT CONFUSE THIS with Edinburgh.
    Airport name: Düsseldorf International airport, also called Lohausen.
    ICAO-Code: EDDL
    IATA-Code: DUS
    Global Position: N51°16'51 E006°45'26 .

As far as I can remember, nobody has really confused that with Edinburgh, at least not before a full BBC report. Edinburgh:
    Global Position: N55°57'0 et cetera..

You can't confuse that, if you'd ask me. But nobody was injured. So let's say the two pilots had a bad hair day.

PS: There is only 1 option how something stupid like that could have happened. If we talk about Randazzo's B744 simulator, then there is something in that B744 fmc which
    1. gives you the data for the return flight, i.e. when you complete the EGLC - EDDL route, the fmc assumes that you like to fly back to EGLC, and so EGLC appears as the new dep. But nothing happens before you confirm it!
    2. What if the BAe 146 on that day was on a flight like EGLC (London City) - EGPH (Edinburgh) - EGLC (London City), before EDDL was on the schedule. Then the fmc assumed that you again like to fly to EGPH. And boom, the shit happens.

But nothing happens before you confirm it twice. So again, no excuse. Bad hair day.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-07-11, 22:38. Reason: My entry #21?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
      Hey. Welcome back to this cute little aviation platform. I hope that you're not embarrassed because I said 'Junior'. I just wonder what I wrote in my 21st forum entry here. My entry #21? I don't know, that must've been in the 18th century..

And the rest of us wonder what you wrote in your 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,69th,420th,666th,and to infinite and beyond post in every century from here to eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
        And the rest of us wonder what you wrote in your 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,69th,420th,666th,and to infinite and beyond post in every century from here to eternity.
        Hm. Do you still know what rubbish you wrote here in your entry #1, in June 2005?!

I mean, normally I show some respect, either because you are as old as me, or older. Or because, you use this forum like I do, to discuss aviation topics with people who are as crazy as me.

More than 14 years on this platform, in my eyes this is another form of craze-ness. How long do you like to stay here, until you complete 15 years and longer? Man, I invite you to do so. You are young enough.

I just don't want to calculate how old you were when you wrote your first entry here. 14? And then you travelled to Antartica and vanished for 10 years? I mean, I am not the one who writes 3000 forum entries per months. I also live off-line. But you. 204 entries in 14 years. That makes... almost nothing in 1 month.

So.. 1. Happy Birthday, I know I am a little late, but not too late for somebody who only appears here once a year. 29 is a good age. I've never been so young when I joined this platform! So, Imagine, how many years here on the platform you own when you are as old as me. 27 years?! I can't expect to see me here on this platform when I'm 50.

2. The state of Washington, so US West Coast. I only know 1 famous airport in the state of Washington. KSEA. So, if you like LH-B744s ... Or don't you?

3. Back on topic? Not necessarily, since your entry #32, or do we have to?

PS: Back on topic. I really try. SeaTac is an airport which has never been confused with KGEG. That's what I assume. Mt Rainier. You know when to step on the brake. LH #490. A/c type? LH-B744.
        I have never confused an airport. Not since I use Randazzo's B744 simulator. You have 744 possibilities to not confuse airports. An on board compass. Edinburgh is hdg 350, only a rough guess. DUS is hdg 100, if you start at London City.

You don't confuse that if you don't sleep in the cockpit.
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-07-12, 03:30. Reason: A compass is beginner level, you don't confuse that if you don't sleep.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
        X