Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BA flight to Düsseldorf diverts to Edinburgh. Seriously.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA flight to Düsseldorf diverts to Edinburgh. Seriously.

How does this happen? I thought flight plans were downlinked directly to the FMS these days.

The mistake only became apparent when the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    How does this happen? I thought flight plans were downlinked directly to the FMS these days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478
    These pilots not checking the magenta line and landing in the wrong runway...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Not really a diversion.

Comment

No. Not really a diversion. More of an excursion.

Comment

Indeed! Impressive to see both meanings of the word excursion captured in one short sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
            Indeed! Impressive to see both meanings of the word excursion captured in one short sentence.
            The 2 meanings of diversion and the 2 meanings of excursion in one sentence.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              The 2 meanings of diversion and the 2 meanings of excursion in one sentence.
              Two [incomplete] sentences. Some blue font involved.

Comment

i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired. even the fa's know where they are supposed to be flying.

i'm gonna guess that all major airlines have the same policies.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired.
                  Because they did it on purpose. Another fine mystery solved on JetPhotos.net. I mean... .com.

That ruins my somatogravic illusion theory...

Comment

Is it possible that the passengers were taken to the wrong aircraft?

Comment

i'm gonna call bullshit on ba's excuse. spoke to my friend from aa who confirmed that flight crews KNOW their schedule in advance. crew scheduling is dependent on the exact routes, times, layovers etc. so if the 2 pilots didn't say something when handed the wrong flight plan, they should be fired. even the fa's know where they are supposed to be flying.

i'm gonna guess that all major airlines have the same policies.
                      Flights plans are all submitted automatically without the pilots knowing crap. They flew to the right place, unfortunately the right place was the wrong place.

Comment

reminds me of the MH370, its spooky!

Comment

The crew seemed to know what they were doing, whether or not it was right. There was a “welcome to Edinburgh” announcement upon landing (that’s how most of the passengers realize they were at the wrong airport). If it went unnoticed or unchecked somehow, that wouldn’t have happened. Just makes it even more of a confusing situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilA330 View Post
                            Flights plans are all submitted automatically without the pilots knowing crap. They flew to the right place, unfortunately the right place was the wrong place.
                            flight plans are independent of crew scheduling. the crew is assigned, or sometimes bids on and are then assigned, specific routes. once assignment is made, it is fed into the crew scheduling computer which is not part of the flight plan. this crew KNEW they were not scheduled to fly to edinburgh and apparently said nothing when they found out about it?

i think the only folks that "didn't know something was effed up" were the passengers.

Comment

flight plans are independent of crew scheduling. the crew is assigned, or sometimes bids on and are then assigned, specific routes. once assignment is made, it is fed into the crew scheduling computer which is not part of the flight plan. this crew KNEW they were not scheduled to fly to edinburgh and apparently said nothing when they found out about it?

i think the only folks that "didn't know something was effed up" were the passengers.
                              I think pilots are fed up of the conditions of work. An opportunity to "protest" presented itself

Comment

Working...
                              X