X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beechcraft Duke fatal crash.

Oh dear God, this was awful... https://youtu.be/15ez80-B4os

Apologies for the crap music.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Wow... 15 seconds from rotation to impact. Talk about things going South quickly...
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Oh dear God, this was awful... https://youtu.be/15ez80-B4os

Apologies for the crap music.
      The Duke needs a lot of rudder force on critical engine failure. I wonder if this was a t-prop conversion.

Comment

Do you know if they had achieved Vmc already?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
          Wow... 15 seconds...Talk about things going South quickly...
          I think we generally under appreciate how quickly things can go south...(And I say this with much seriousness).
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            The Duke needs a lot of rudder force on critical engine failure. I wonder if this was a t-prop conversion.
            Got a lot of hours in the Duke, do ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              No.

Comment

Useful operations information.....

Aircraft was N65MY and was Lycoming equipped... https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...Numbertxt=65MY

Operation
                Beech A60 Duke in 1986
                The Duke was purchased by corporate and private pilot owners. Most were registered in the United States but examples were exported to many countries including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Honduras, Iceland, Serbia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, South Africa and the United Kingdom. One Duke was flown by the Jamaica Defense Force. Many remain in service in the early twenty-first century.

In reviewing the aircraft in 2008, Rick Durden of AVweb stated, "Built to the quality standards of a King Air, the six-place Duke sported 380-hp, Lycoming TIO-541 engines – rare beasts, those – which means when both come due for overhaul, the choice is the overhaul or buying a small house in the Midwest. The assertive lines of the airframe made for a startlingly attractive airplane, but lead to high costs of manufacture and, surprising to the casual onlooker, horrendous drag. There are those who claim that the Duke was purposefully designed to be about 30 knots slower than it could easily have been on the available power simply because otherwise it would have been faster than the flagship of the Beech line, the King Air. The roughly 230-knot max. cruise speed is only marginally less than that of a King Air 90 and about the same as a Cessna 421, which carries more on slightly less horsepower. While the Duke shares the delightful handling of the Beech line, should pilots have the joy of single-engine operation, they will be up against the highest rudder-force of any piston twin – 150 pounds at Vmc – which happens to be the maximum the FAA allows. Owners report buying a Duke partially because of its looks, but selling it because of the cost of keeping it running. They describe King Air maintenance costs in a piston-twin airframe and recognize that the value of the airplane is entirely dependent on the engines. A gear-up landing means an engine teardown and propeller replacement, along with some sheet metal work. The cost is so high in relation to the value of the airframe that, in many cases, the insurance company will consider the airplane a total loss."[13]

Production figures
                Edit

[2][14]

Beechcraft 60 : 125
                Beechcraft A60 : 121
                Beechcraft B60: 350
                Specifications (B60)
                Edit

Data from Janes's All The World's Aircraft 1976–77 [15]
                General characteristics

Crew: 1
                Capacity: 5 passengers
                Length: 33 ft 10 in (10.31 m)
                Wingspan: 39 ft 3 1⁄3 in (11.972 m)
                Height: 12 ft 4 in (3.76 m)
                Wing area: 212.9 sq ft (19.78 m2)
                Aspect ratio: 7.243:1
                Airfoil: NACA 23016.5 at root, NACA 2310.5 at tip
                Empty weight: 4,275 lb (1,939 kg)
                Max takeoff weight: 6,775 lb (3,073 kg)
                Fuel capacity: 142 US gal (118 imp gal; 540 L) usable (normal), 232 US gal (193 imp gal; 880 L) with additional optional tanks
                Powerplant: 2 × Lycoming TIO-541-E1C4 turbocharged six-cylinder, horizontally opposed direct drive engines, 380 hp (280 kW) each
                Propellers: 3-bladed Hartzell constant speed
                Performance

Maximum speed: 248 kn (285 mph; 459 km/h) at 23,000 ft (7,000 m)
                Cruise speed: 178 kn (205 mph; 330 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,100 m), 45% power
                Stall speed: 73 kn (84 mph; 135 km/h) (IAS), wheels and flaps down, power off
                Never exceed speed: 235 kn (270 mph; 435 km/h) IAS
                Range: 1,227 nmi (1,412 mi; 2,272 km) at 20,000 ft (6,100 m), 45% power, 45 min reserves, max optional fuel
                Service ceiling: 30,000 ft (9,100 m)
                Rate of climb: 1,601 ft/min (8.13 m/s)
                Takeoff distance to 50 ft (15m): 2,626 ft (800 m)
                Landing distance from 50 ft (15m): 3,065 ft (934 m)
                Last edited by brianw999; 2019-04-25, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  While the Duke shares the delightful handling of the Beech line, should pilots have the joy of single-engine operation, they will be up against the highest rudder-force of any piston twin – 150 pounds at Vmc – which happens to be the maximum the FAA allows.
                  But ATLcrew says there is no way we can know this unless we've logged a lot of hours in the Duke. Research is just words and nonsense.

Comment

My zero hours in the Duke tell me that Vmc is around 80kts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      My zero hours in the Duke tell me that Vmc is around 80kts.
                      And the engine failed at?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

And the engine failed at?
                        According to my research, 79.33456mph.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                          According to my research, 79.33456mph.
                          Well, that's about 69 knots, clearly below about 80 knots.

Comment

In which case the good engine takes you to the place of your death.

Comment

Well, that's about 69 knots, clearly below about 80 knots.
                              I'm glad "we" solved this one so quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X