X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Sure, from the threshold...
    Exactly.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      The CVR is in a submerged part of the plane and they prefer to wait until the plane is moved rather than risking divers using tools in a confined space, since retriving the CVR a couple of days earlier would offer no advantage and the assessment is that there is no risk of losing information by waiting.
      And the recovered FDR isn’t basically right next to it?
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        And the recovered FDR isn’t basically right next to it?
        No.

The FDR is located above the ceiling above the rear galley.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fdr-above-galley.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1034893

The CVR is located in the aft cargo hold.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	cvr-in-hold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1034894

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Today's internet headline admonishes the pilots for a stupid decision to change runways to enable training on a preferred and longer runway.

I don't think the choice of a shorter runway is necessarily the problem- but perhaps the switchover got rushed, was "not-so-stabilized", and subsequently botched in a few different ways.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

No. The FDR is located above the ceiling above the rear galley. The CVR is located in the aft cargo hold.
            Noted.

When will you quit doing QA on cheap composites and become an aviation reporter? (Warning- a little bit of brevity is key).

Comment

On May 7th 2019 the NTSB reported the aircraft was recovered onto a barge, as result the NTSB was able to access and recover the cockpit voice recorder.
              Source: AvHerald

Comment

I bet you there is more to this. It was a 2700 m runway!!!
                Yes, but with a 15 knot tail wind which part of that 2700 metres did they first touch down on ? Remember, runway length behind you....isn’t runway !
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Yes, but with a 15 knot tail wind which part of that 2700 metres did they first touch down on ? Remember, runway length behind you....isn’t runway !
                  Paradoxically, the head or tailwind should not affect significantly where you touch down, because you should follow a 3-degree approach (or whatever the ILS, PAPI or VASI slope is) regardless of the ground speed. More tailwind = more ground speed = more vertical speed needed to keep the approach path. If you float a couple of seconds, you will eat more runway in the float. But the descent from 50ft to floating on the runway should be the same the same.

Comment

the recommended max tailwind is 10kts.

my friend that flew 73's for miami air and knows the crew said, "they're gonna be looking for new jobs real soon." several unexplainable bad decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      the recommended max tailwind is 10kts.

my friend that flew 73's for miami air and knows the crew said, "they're gonna be looking for new jobs real soon." several unexplainable bad decisions...
                      How you managed to just happen to have a friend at an airline that has 5 airplanes (4 now) and like 35 pilots is what I'd like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                        How you managed to just happen to have a friend at an airline that has 5 airplanes (4 now) and like 35 pilots is what I'd like to know.
                        coincidence.

i have two friends and one client that are current or former commercial pilots. only the client flies for commercial now, and honestly don't remember which airline.

the friend that FLEW for Miami air hasn't in a few years. they left under pretty shitty conditions, and wound up suing them. of course, they settled, but for less than i thought my friend should've accepted.

Comment

I think Miami Air has been around for awhile. I seem to remember one of their B-727's had to make an emergency landing in Tampa 15 years or so ago. They pulled up to the FBO I was at. It was either a false baggage compartment fire or the real thing, I never found out.

Comment

Working...
                          X