Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter crashes onto roof of Manhattan building in poor weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    Evan is right: There are no epaulets seen in this picture.
    They are on his shirt under the jacket (Which have stripes on the sleeves).

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]25492[/ATTACH]

Evan in his parents basement.
      Hmmm... you must have taken this when you got up to use the lav...

Comment

They are on his shirt under the jacket (Which have stripes on the sleeves).
        I know. I thought that the blue font would have been redundant.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Hmmm... you must have taken this when you got up to use the lav...
          Didn't need to, I still have a couple of real ones in the guest room closet. Remember, I were a real pilut!

Comment

Didn't need to, I still have a couple of real ones in the guest room closet. Remember, I AM a real pilot!
            Fixed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              Not uncommon with rotorcraft pilots.
              As I think about my incredibly limited chopper riding experience- they don't have much of an instrument panel.

Also, helicopters should not be blasting into clouds at 100+ knots- they have a good bit more flexibility to stay below them + a lot more flexibility on where to land.

Never thought about it that much- but makes sense.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Fixed.
                Gabriel...your sense of humor...the ISO 9000 is shining.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25492[/ATTACH]

Evan in his parents basement.
                  Wrong.

There might be fundamental airmanship involved in that picture.

HERE is Evan reading procedure and engineering manuals to try and figure out what pilots do wrong:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Evan.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1040104

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    As I think about my incredibly limited chopper riding experience- they don't have much of an instrument panel.

Also, helicopters should not be blasting into clouds at 100+ knots- they have a good bit more flexibility to stay below them + a lot more flexibility on where to land.

Never thought about it that much- but makes sense.
                    There are helicopters that even have FMS and autopilot with autohover, but they're uncommon. Many are IFR-equipped, but not certified.

Comment

There are helicopters that even have FMS and autopilot with autohover, but they're uncommon. Many are IFR-equipped, but not certified.
                      IFR equipment aside, I BELIVE I heard some things (reports of a radio call?) to the effect that the pilot was in mechanical distress and somewhat desperate to land?

Most of the time, the weather doesn't go COMPLETELY nor instantly to zero-zero and you might slow down to 15 knots and find someplace to put it down...I recognize it's New Yark, but...

Comment

I think an AW109 operating out of Manhattan probably has at least an aftermarket GPS nav thingy if not a factory display.

Comment

Now an NTSB report puts him back over the East River, completely contradicting previous reports.

Originally posted by BBC

The report says about five to seven minutes after take-off, he then "contacted Atlantic Aviation and made a request to return to the heliport".

After being advised to land, he then radioed to say he "did not know where he was".

The NTSB said he flew erratically over the city's East River, changing course and altitude several times before making a dramatic turn and straying over Manhattan.
                          How can an AW109 pilot not have a basic GPS display?

I wouldn't trust the veracity of this reporting however. They've got the wrong building outlined in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            How can an AW109 pilot not have a basic GPS display?
                            I bet that lack of means to know where he was was not the reason why he didn't know where he was.

Comment

I bet that lack of means to know where he was was not the reason why he didn't know where he was.
                              I think you must be right.

Comment

This

..."did not know where he was"...flew erratically over the city's East River, changing course and altitude several times before making a dramatic turn and straying over Manhattan.
                                is not consistent with this

Originally posted by Gabriel
                                Pilot was identified and he was apparently a very experienced pilot.
                                Yes, Evan, reckless cowboy improvisation could be in play here.

On MSFS in my basement, with my great expertise, I THINK I would have slowed down, gone someplace safe, got on the radio and calmly sorted out what options were available...It's probably easier in my basement, but I think they actually teach those sorts of things in the real world and that they are often reasonably effective procedures.

Comment

Working...
                                X