No announcement yet.

mirrorless camera for spotting...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife bought a Canon EOS-R and she loves it. I bought a Nikon D7200 and I love it. Both cameras serve our individual requirements. Job done !
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by marc1201 View Post
      Ok, i almost forgot that i made this post here..
      What do i hope to gain? Well size and weight i was gaining for, but i hear that some brands do weigh as much or are as big as dslr's,so basicly i better can keep the Nikon..
      I was/am interested in the sony a7iii and the FE 70-300 oss, with that i would gain about 800grams of weight.Not sure if you feel it that hard..After a couple of hours i assume you do feel the weight difference.

Marc
      You mean compared to the 80-400 + D610? If that is the case the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300 mm 1:4,5-5,6E ED VR would also save you 890g if 300mm is enough.

The difference in the bodies alone between the D610 and the Z7III is just 200g. And instead of a Sony you could get a Nikon Z6 which is only 25g heavier than the Sony but you would not need to switch systems as the Z6 uses the F mount lenses with an adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
        If you want to save weight, you will have to look for 4/3-systems, which have also smaller lenses. I'm sure, there are good lenses there as well.
        +1
        I switched to 4/3 for that reason.
        Olympus "PRO" series and Leica for Panasonic lenses are very good.
        Olympus E-M1 mk II, E-M1X or Panasonic G9 are impressive bodies.

G9 + Leica 100-400 f:4-6,3 (200-800 eq. 24x36 !) = 1,6 kg

f:7,1 - 1/1300s - ISO200 - +0,3EV - 124 (24x36 eq. 248 ) mm :
        Click here (2x) for 1900p wide :

Comment

Originally posted by zomeu View Post
          Canon (I don't know for Nikon) doesn't plan to develop new DSLR models any longer.
          Amortization of the current range will progressively lead to production shutdown.

That's rubbish, Canon have new DSLRs in the pipeline right now. There's likely to be a new APS-C DSLR in the next year to replace the 80D/7D line and reporters will be using the 1DX line for a long time yet and I'm very sure we will see a new 1DX coming.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
            That's rubbish

I do not remember being rude to you in any way.

For the rest, we'll see ...

Another new year, another new round of juicy camera conjectures. Here’s your officially unofficial 2019 camera rumor roundup!

"Rumors also suggest the Canon has already abandoned a DSLR in-development (allegedly another variation of the 5DS). Canon has been making a big push into the mirrorless market with the EOS M and EOS R line. It looks like that’s were they will continue to push hard in 2019."

We're told that Canon has scrapped development of at least one DSLR in favour of a mirrorless option. We weren't told which potential DSLR has been scrapped,

And R&D budgets are not unlimited : 1DX III was developped yet, will probably be launched. Maybe the last one....

Comment

Another new year, another new round of juicy camera conjectures. Here’s your officially unofficial 2019 camera rumor roundup!

"Rumors also suggest the Canon has already abandoned a DSLR in-development (allegedly another variation of the 5DS). Canon has been making a big push into the mirrorless market with the EOS M and EOS R line. It looks like that’s were they will continue to push hard in 2019."

We're told that Canon has scrapped development of at least one DSLR in favour of a mirrorless option. We weren't told which potential DSLR has been scrapped,

And R&D budgets are not unlimited : 1DX III was developped yet, will probably be launched. Maybe the last one....
              From that line ... Rumors also suggest the Canon has already abandoned a DSLR in-development (allegedly another variation of the 5DS) ... I don't see "DSLR's are going to disappear from the market within two years...", as you mentioned above. Canon will reduce the number of DSLR models and increase the number of mirrorless models. And finally there seem also to be lenses for the EOS R line on the way.

BTW, I also see Nikon going that way, but still having their DSLR lines on offer for many years.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

What I said is :
                - It's currently very difficult (quite impossible) to finance R&D (and assembly lines) for two different technologies on a decreasing market,
                - There are new DSLR's yet developped, going to go to the market within the two coming years, probably not beyond. No new DSLR model will be developped during this time.
                - These probably last new DSLR's will be produced until amortization of developpement costs and specific tools (see my previous posts).

- New lenses will obviously appear : their commercial cycle is much longer than bodies, and mounts are (partially) independant from optical part.

Industry has not the same rules as photography...

PS : I can remember since I was young : The same kind of debates raised when TTL viewfinders appeared vs double-lens reflex, when 35mm appeared in front of 6x6 and 6x9, when digital threatened film, etc...
                The only difference was that the forums were the small pub on the street corner...
                Cheers !...

Comment

And R&D budgets are not unlimited : 1DX III was developed yet, will probably be launched. Maybe the last one....
                  Im a Canon CPS Platinum member/pro . Both Canon and Nikon/Sony latest DSLR incarnations will be in heavy use at next years Olympic games and beyond.

My friend in Dubai is a new Sony ambassador - the latest A9 doesn't quite cut it for action, its work in progress..

Either way, it's about gear to situation and importantly knowing how to use it!.

James wasn't being rude just pragmatic.

Regards T
                  Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-06-28, 20:12.

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                    [SNIP]

James wasn't being rude just pragmatic.[/SNIP]
                    That line really made my day
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

DSLRs are the steam machines of photography.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                        DSLRs are the steam machines of photography.
                        So they'll be more or less extinct soon, with a handful of people being really nostalgic about them?

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                          Im a Canon CPS Platinum member/pro
                          Oh, well, sorry Sir.
                          Deepest respects.

I didn't give Canon $300 to receive an embroidered bag, a nice strap, two lens caps, -30% on repairs and a metal-grey "Platinium" plastic card, and I consequently didn't have the special skills it gives to talk (friendly and freely in a normal case) about industrial strategy of multinational firms.

As a former (recently) associate in a 900 persons strategy and finance consulting firm, I just modestly tried to bring in mind the most usual (actually, don't dream : maybe unpleasant, but only) way I think I perfectly know a board of directors will reason. I certainly (really not difficult...) have more knowledge of this than in photography : to each one his own job...

Let's keep in mind that company's boards represent only shareholders and their money, and not photographers and the stuff they are used to, even with $300 cards...

They are pragmatic.

And I am very sincerely open to any other interesting and supported view (other than the possession of an expensive discount card at a merchant or having a friend in the Middle East).

Comment

Oh, well, sorry Sir.
                            Deepest respects.

I didn't give Canon $300 to receive an embroidered bag, a nice strap, two lens caps, -30% on repairs and a metal-grey "Platinium" plastic card, and I consequently didn't have the special skills it gives to talk (friendly and freely in a normal case) about industrial strategy of multinational firms.

As a former (recently) associate in a 900 persons strategy and finance consulting firm, I just modestly tried to bring in mind the most usual (actually, don't dream : maybe unpleasant, but only) way I think I perfectly know a board of directors will reason. I certainly (really not difficult...) have more knowledge of this than in photography : to each one his own job...

Let's keep in mind that company's boards represent only shareholders and their money, and not photographers and the stuff they are used to, even with $300 cards...

They are pragmatic.

And I am very sincerely open to any other interesting and supported view (other than the possession of an expensive discount card at a merchant or having a friend in the Middle East).
                            What did you say "I do not remember being rude to you in any way."

How old are you?

• Canon do NOT offer $300 cards/memberships nor anything else!
                            • Their service like Nikon etc.. is aimed at Professional photographers who make a living from their work and require professional support.
                              I am an internationally published award winning photographer, with the RPS and American Photographic Society. Your assertion is unfair. I hold a BA (HONs) and MA (University of Manchester).
                              I was in law enforcement for 33yrs finishing at a senior level
                              Head of Counter terrorism for 5 yrs
                              taught photography for the last 5 years.
                              I hold directorships on boards at executive and Non ex level

Oh, and btw our senior/admin are still Pragmatic, objective, supportive etc.. T
                            Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-07-02, 23:13.

Comment

Working...
                            X