Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: BE-350 crashes immediately after takeoff from Addison, TX. No survivors.

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Not sure if this was posted or if anyone saw. It looks like the plane had a left yaw before rolling and inverting. I would gather #1 engine failure with a lack of timely and appropriate response.

    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CthYV_1563305341

  2. #22
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,694

    Default

    Cryptic resolution as usual but it certainly looks like the plane was seriously yawing but level until it suddenly rolled over. Did they let it fall below vmca and/or stall?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Cryptic resolution as usual but it certainly looks like the plane was seriously yawing but level until it suddenly rolled over. Did they let it fall below vmca and/or stall?
    Or.... Vmc assumes that you are using full rudder, that the inop engine is feathered, and that you are using the correct bank angle needed to keep zero sideslip: about 5 degrees into the good engine.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  4. #24
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Or.... Vmc assumes that you are using full rudder, that the inop engine is feathered, and that you are using the correct bank angle needed to keep zero sideslip: about 5 degrees into the good engine.
    But the apparent yaw in the video suggests the engine had already failed when they were flying level, for some time, until the plane suddenly rolls over. My guess is that they allowed the airspeed to decay to a critical point. What do you see happening there?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Is it me or does it look like the plane has yawed extremely to the left? Maybe it's just the angle to the video camera but it looks like the plane is flying nearly sideways just before the left wing drops.

    I wonder if the pilot could have pushed the rudder in the wrong direction in response to an engine failure?
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

    Eric Law

  6. #26
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    But the apparent yaw in the video suggests the engine had already failed when they were flying level, for some time, until the plane suddenly rolls over. My guess is that they allowed the airspeed to decay to a critical point. What do you see happening there?
    I agree, but that critical point is Vmc only if you manage the rest of the things correctly. If not the critical slow speed where control will be lost will be more (and can be quite more) than Vmc.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  7. #27
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    Is it me or does it look like the plane has yawed extremely to the left? Maybe it's just the angle to the video camera but it looks like the plane is flying nearly sideways just before the left wing drops.

    I wonder if the pilot could have pushed the rudder in the wrong direction in response to an engine failure?
    It certainly looks like it is in an extreme sideslip angle to the left, unless there is a huge lot of crosswind from the left.

    Rudder in the opposite direction? I don't know, but I tend to think that that's unlikely, especially in Vmc. A pilot would naturally and instinctively respond with right rudder to what it is a visible left yawing regardless of engine(s) condition. But maybe no rudder if the pilot was distracted by the engine failure and not looking outside. Then (if the pilot was not looking outside) wrong rudder becomes more a possibility after all.

    And then I thought that pilots would naturally respond to a stall warning by reducing the AoA and then we had Colgan and Air France that pushed up all the time.

    So... who knows.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  8. #28
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I agree, but that critical point is Vmc only if you manage the rest of the things correctly. If not the critical slow speed where control will be lost will be more (and can be quite more) than Vmc.
    I'm not suggesting that anything was handled correctly here, I certainly don't see any corrective roll to the good engine, the track seems to be diverging from the runway heading, the gear remains extended and the nose appears to remain in a climb attitude (I assume the props auto-feather if power is lost). But there is clearly a point at which the death spiral begins and I'm wondering if that is initiated by stall or loss of rudder authority. Loss of power + increased aerodynamic drag while in an increasing roll at a constant climb-out pitch. Would the plane in this situation stall above vmca or would the loss of rudder authority below vmca result in increased left roll and an accelerated stall?

  9. #29
    Senior Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't have the King Air 350 performance numbers. Do you have a link to them?

    Anyway, yes, weight will affect take of speed and take off distance. Information I found in not necessarily reliable sources mention rotation speeds of 100 to 110 knots, which is consistent to what you said.

    So, what happened? Did they rotate too slow? Were they above Vmc and still unable to control the plane due to incorrect technique? Was there any other malfunction? I don't know.
    Hm. At a first glance, that does not seem like a miracule/mission impossibile, KADS airport, 1 rwy, 15/33 7,203 ft or 2195 meter @ 644 AMSL. You asked the internet for the B350 pilot's reference sheet, and no one responded? Well, let's see what I can do.
    -
    Beechcraft King Air 350i
    built since October 1972 until today - more than 3700 a/c sold since then.
    2 turbo propeller engines, type P&W PT6A-60A with 1,050 horse power each.
    Minimum required field length @ MTOW, with ISA conditions and a dry rwy (!) - 4193 ft or 1280 meter with zero flaps (ohne Klappen)
    - so far the official B350 ref sheet. The following numbers, without ISA conditions, are in my very own B350 simulator log book. So, your numbers may differ.
    Minimum required field length @ MTOW, with a 50 ft obstacle near the t/o moment - 6933 ft or 2112 meter with zero flaps.

    That's powerful enough for Addison. If the B350 Flight Captain said 'full throttle ahead'. What, if he didn't.

    Gabe, you insist on the B350 vR numbers? Always the same, do not use this for real world aviation, it is a (semi-pro) simulator procedure:
    'Set both engines to a N1 number of 100 for t/o.'
    v1 - 105 kias with 15,000 lb take off weight.
    vR - 110 kias.
    Maintain v2 - 117 kias until vertical speed is positive.
    Then retract gear.

    .. Do you need more? Climb with N1 90. ... I mean, in case of MTOW in a Beechcraft B350, your 'rough guess' was quite close if not perfect!
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

  10. #30
    Senior Member BoeingBobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    Hm. At a first glance, that does not seem like a miracule/mission impossibile, KADS airport, 1 rwy, 15/33 7,203 ft or 2195 meter @ 644 AMSL. You asked the internet for the B350 pilot's reference sheet, and no one responded? Well, let's see what I can do.
    -
    Beechcraft King Air 350i
    built since October 1972 until today - more than 3700 a/c sold since then.
    2 turbo propeller engines, type P&W PT6A-60A with 1,050 horse power each.
    Minimum required field length @ MTOW, with ISA conditions and a dry rwy (!) - 4193 ft or 1280 meter with zero flaps (ohne Klappen)
    - so far the official B350 ref sheet. The following numbers, without ISA conditions, are in my very own B350 simulator log book. So, your numbers may differ.
    Minimum required field length @ MTOW, with a 50 ft obstacle near the t/o moment - 6933 ft or 2112 meter with zero flaps.

    That's powerful enough for Addison. If the B350 Flight Captain said 'full throttle ahead'. What, if he didn't.

    Gabe, you insist on the B350 vR numbers? Always the same, do not use this for real world aviation, it is a (semi-pro) simulator procedure:
    'Set both engines to a N1 number of 100 for t/o.'
    v1 - 105 kias with 15,000 lb take off weight.
    vR - 110 kias.
    Maintain v2 - 117 kias until vertical speed is positive.
    Then retract gear.

    .. Do you need more? Climb with N1 90. ... I mean, in case of MTOW in a Beechcraft B350, your 'rough guess' was quite close if not perfect!
    How informative!

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Additional videos and commentary. Hopefully genuinely informative.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0wPAYESw8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •