Could this be a scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be a scam

I received the following message while I was sleeping.

"My name is redacted and I am with redacted News. We are looking to use a photo you took for our broadcast

tonight. Could you give me a call at 202redacted? Thanks in advance "

I replied that the message had been received overnight as we were in different time zones. Linked-in shows a profile of a News Director/Reporter.

There has been no response to my e-mail giving my conditions for the use of my photographs/intellectual property.

It occurs to me that if I had dialled the number given I might have been paying for a premium call.

I wonder if it was a scam and whether others receive such messages. I'll be looking for a space on Jetphotos where I can display my general rules of engagement and a sample comtract.

OTOH, I do have some captures online currently which may be newsworty e.g. 737-MAX's El-al special liveries etc.
    --
    David dubya Wilson

Originally posted by Aldgyte View Post
    I received the following message while I was sleeping.

"My name is redacted and I am with redacted News. We are looking to use a photo you took for our broadcast

tonight. Could you give me a call at 202redacted? Thanks in advance "

I replied that the message had been received overnight as we were in different time zones. Linked-in shows a profile of a News Director/Reporter.

There has been no response to my e-mail giving my conditions for the use of my photographs/intellectual property.

It occurs to me that if I had dialled the number given I might have been paying for a premium call.

I wonder if it was a scam and whether others receive such messages. I'll be looking for a space on Jetphotos where I can display my general rules of engagement and a sample comtract.

OTOH, I do have some captures online currently which may be newsworty e.g. 737-MAX's El-al special liveries etc.
    Sounds fairly legit up until the no reply part, however that could mean that they are busy or they found another photo. No real way of knowing unless you contact them by phone, or even emailing the news corporation via an official email address on their website.
    View me on JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by meeshboi View Post
      Sounds fairly legit up until the no reply part, however that could mean that they are busy or they found another photo. No real way of knowing unless you contact them by phone, or even emailing the news corporation via an official email address on their website.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I found this on their website, so I am glad I won't be supplying images to them.

"You confirm that you took the image/video and are its copyright owner; or that you are the copyright owner’s authorized agent; or that you own, purchased or otherwise legally obtained the rights to the image/video. In addition, you confirm that you have all of the necessary rights and permissions to grant us this license for its use.

You give redacted on behalf of redacted, non-exclusive permission to reproduce, use and edit the image/video on all platforms, in all media (now known or hereafter developed), including, without limitation, broadcast, online, streaming and social media, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, promotional uses, worldwide in perpetuity.

You give redacted permission to distribute the image/video to its licensees, including, but not limited to, owned stations, affiliates, partners, licensees and assigns, for their use on all platforms, in all media (now known or hereafter developed), including, without limitation, broadcast, online, streaming and social media, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, promotional uses, worldwide in perpetuity.

You understand that you will receive no payment or royalty for any use under this agreement; that redacted is under no obligation to use, edit or distribute the material; and that you have no right to inspect or approve any use of the material.

"

Seems a bit one-sided to me. I give permissions for single defined usage against a consideration. I don't understand why large corporations think they have the right to trample all over small suppliers.

Then again, I'm not trying to make a living from my images, so perhaps I'm missing something.
      --
      David dubya Wilson

Comment

Tell them to get REDACTED ( )David. A genuine news agency would offer payment. Alternatively, respond to them with an email outlining your set financial remuneration expectations according to to their usage requirements

In the meantime, you may find this useful.... http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesg...on=photography
        Last edited by brianw999; 2019-07-15, 10:05.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Tell them to get REDACTED ( )David. A genuine news agency would offer payment. Alternatively, respond to them with an email outlining your set financial remuneration expectations according to to their usage requirements

In the meantime, you may find this useful.... http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesg...on=photography
          Thanks, Brian. I am about to give up the day job to one day a week, semi-retirement, so I'll read that thoroughly. I think it's a pity for professionals, if amateurs like me, eat up their markets and give a way content, even in these days when following "click through" generations seem to believe that if something is on-line it's there to be taken.
          --
          David dubya Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Aldgyte View Post
            You give redacted on behalf of redacted, non-exclusive permission to reproduce, use and edit the image/video on all platforms, in all media (now known or hereafter developed), including, without limitation, broadcast, online, streaming and social media, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, promotional uses, worldwide in perpetuity.

You give redacted permission to distribute the image/video to its licensees, including, but not limited to, owned stations, affiliates, partners, licensees and assigns, for their use on all platforms, in all media (now known or hereafter developed), including, without limitation, broadcast, online, streaming and social media, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, promotional uses, worldwide in perpetuity.

You understand that you will receive no payment or royalty for any use under this agreement; that redacted is under no obligation to use, edit or distribute the material; and that you have no right to inspect or approve any use of the material.
            They want all the rights to your photo while providing nothing in return? Tell them to get bent. Whether you do this for a hobby or not, that's just unbelievably entitled.

At least they asked for your permission first, I guess. A lot of people don't even do that anymore. If they don't, file a DMCA strike against them. Their hosting company MUST act on it and remove your content, and after a couple of strikes they will be in trouble.

Comment

Defiantly, now that I think about it, a media company wanting to use your assets with their work without pay seems a bit off.
              View me on JetPhotos

Comment

Last year I was looking at the website of a well known British newspaper and there was an article about Vietnam Airlines. My photo from JP of a B787 taking off from LHR was included in the article. It did have the JP tag at the bottom and my name included. No idea whether this was above board or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bobh View Post
                  Last year I was looking at the website of a well known British newspaper and there was an article about Vietnam Airlines. My photo from JP of a B787 taking off from LHR was included in the article. It did have the JP tag at the bottom and my name included. No idea whether this was above board or not.
                  If they didn’t ask for permission to use it and did not pay to use it then they are guilty of theft of copyright. I would suggest sending them a bill for £100.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    If they didn’t ask for permission to use it and did not pay to use it then they are guilty of theft of copyright. I would suggest sending them a bill for £100.
                    Absolutely agree.
                    --
                    David dubya Wilson

Comment

What contact details they left? A landline? A business email or a Yahoo? Do they have a physical address? Did you Google them or checked their reviews? That's good to start with.

Comment

...seem to have missed this..they are a well-known US media outfit, but only contact was a US landline. Entitlement on stilts.
                        --
                        David dubya Wilson

Comment

there is always a chance to get caught by scammers!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X