Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilatus PC12 is not a jet?

Hello everybody,

I have an accepted photo from a Pilatus PC12. The screener removed the business jet category due to this is not a jet. I think this is a plane with jet engine with prop (turboprop). The small props havent got jet engine they use avgas or unleaded fuel. Am I right?

The Pilatus PC-12 does not have a jet engine. Therefore it is not a jet. If it holds less than ten passengers it is considered a small prop though. The kind of fuel it uses has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zsoltiforgacs View Post
      Hello everybody,

I have an accepted photo from a Pilatus PC12. The screener removed the business jet category due to this is not a jet. I think this is a plane with jet engine with prop (turboprop). The small props havent got jet engine they use avgas or unleaded fuel. Am I right?
      The PC-12 is well and truely a Turboprop aircraft. It should go under the Small Prop category.
      View me on JetPhotos

Comment

I can see your confusion. To be a business jet the aircraft must be powered by pure jet thrust. A Pilatus uses the power produced by a turbojet but not via pure jet thrust. The engine is connected via a gearbox to a propeller and it is the propeller that supplies the thrust. The Pilatus is therefore a propeller driven aircraft and because it has 10 seats or less it is defined by Jetphotos as being a Small Prop.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Dear Everybody, I understood, and thanks for the information, and help! Have a nice day!

Comment

So a large prop is a DC-6, ATR, Q-400, Connie?
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              power produced by a turbojet but not via pure jet thrust.
              turbojet vs. turboshaft ...

While the turbojet was the first form of gas turbine powerplant for aviation, it has largely been replaced ... Turbojets have been replaced in slower aircraft by turboprops because they have better specific fuel consumption. At medium speeds, where the propeller is no longer efficient, turboprops have been replaced by turbofans.
              A turboshaft engine is a form of gas turbine that is optimized to produce shaft power rather than jet thrust. ... Turboshaft engines are commonly used in ... helicopters, auxiliary power units, boats and ships, tanks, hovercraft, and stationary equipment.
              As for propeller driven aircraft, they are powered by a turboprop.

And eventually, the turbofan is what drives most commercial "Jets" including "Business Jets".

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              So a large prop is a DC-6, ATR, Q-400, Connie?
              There is no "large prop" category in JP but the types you listed certainly don't go under "small prop" category

On a side note the "small prop" category is slightly borderline, can't remember the thread where it is discussed per type, for eg. Cessna Caravans (single turboprop, 10 pax), but not Grand Caravan (single turboprop, 14pax) or maybe the King Air 90 (twin turboprop but 7 pax), but not King Air 100 (twin but 13 pax) ?
              Last edited by bleuair; 2019-08-01, 09:04.

Comment

Working...
              X