back button focusing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back button focusing

hello guys i was wondering if back button focusing is worth it for plane photography. i saw a guy using it for wildlife photography and he said it's very helpful so i was just curious weather it would help or not? i'm a bit hesitant because i know it's going to take some time to get used to and i don't want to forget to focus on a rare aircraft and not get any shots. if anyone thinks it is worth the time to practise it then please let me know.

thanks in advance

Originally posted by jakew04 View Post
    hello guys i was wondering if back button focusing is worth it for plane photography. i saw a guy using it for wildlife photography and he said it's very helpful so i was just curious weather it would help or not? i'm a bit hesitant because i know it's going to take some time to get used to and i don't want to forget to focus on a rare aircraft and not get any shots. if anyone thinks it is worth the time to practise it then please let me know.

thanks in advance
    Back button focusing is essentially just an extra focus button on the camera. It saves you from having to half press the shutter button constantly. I use it all the time on my D810 with AF-C mode enabled to keep the aircraft in focus at all times. So if you have it, I strongly recommend you use it.

It may take some time to get used to, but I only use bbf and when i use cameras without it its TERRIBLE!!! It doesn't really require too much practice.
    View me on JetPhotos

Comment

thank you for the feedback, ill for sure start using it then thanks

Comment

I only ever use back button focusing for EVERYTHING I photograph. Once you use BBF, you never go back. NEVER! You simply press the back button to focus and when youre ready to shoot, you hit the fire button and it fires immediately - no delay in trying to focus. Why the focusing button is the same as the fire button is beyond me (I suppose for newbies). Its also easier to focus on your subject and re-compose composition for static shots.

Comment

that's very interesting i didn't realise it would be that helpful, ill be sure to use it next time i go to an airport. thanks in advance

Comment

It is helpful, if you have problems pressing the shutter halfway and keeping in that way. I have AE lock assigned to that button, which is useful for cockpit shots.

Comment

Working...
            X