Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: jakew04 - general questions

Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    A quick Google search reveals 365 civilian airlines in the world. Add in the private owners listed, air forces, navies, army and government departments and you could easily get upwards of 1,000 plus operators.
    "air forces, navies, army and government"
    I don't know these are counted.

Quote Originally Posted by YsMilan View Post
    This badge:“Photographers took photos of at least 500 airlines”
    I think this is a bit crazy. I don't know if there are 500 airlines in the world.
    Well, according to my profile, I already have 310 airlines caught in only 18 european locations. I really didn't realise that I have that many.

But if you will take in consideration, that you have stuff like KLM, KLM Asia, KLM Cittyhopper and KLM Cargo, regular Lufthansa, LH Cityline, LH Cargo, etc etc, so photographing 500 airlines really shouldn't be a problem

Default uploadable file size

hello guys, i'm trying to upload a couple images at 1600 mpix they have already been approved on the prescreening forum and was wondering what it takes to be able to upload at 1600 mpix. i'm right now only able to upload at 1280. if it is a certain acceptance ratio or the amount of accepted photos in the datebase then i have 13 photos accepted and a 61.90% acceptance ratio. is that good enough? any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Up to 1280 pixels is the size that a new uploader starts at. To upload at images up to 1600 pixels you need to get around 100 images accepted at 1280 with an absolute minimum 50% acceptance ratio, preferably more like 75% and you have to make a formal request via email for a 1600 permission. Requesting prescreening at 1600 pixels when you only have a 1280 permission is a waste of time as the screeners will not know that you do not have a 1600 permission.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

100 photos, damn, i didn't realise it was that much but ok. and yes i will no longer be asking for prescreening of 1600 mpix i new you had to request to be able to upload at 1920 but i thought you could immediately post at 1600 if you wanted too. thanks for the feedback

hi guys for this winter i'm trying to learn night aviation photography and was wondering what equipment works best and what are the best settings? i'm trying to get the equipment and the right settings by October which is when it starts getting dark pretty early. so if anyone can help i would appreciate it, thanks in advance

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Quote Originally Posted by jakew04 View Post
    hi guys for this winter i'm trying to learn night aviation photography and was wondering what equipment works best and what are the best settings? i'm trying to get the equipment and the right settings by October which is when it starts getting dark pretty early. so if anyone can help i would appreciate it, thanks in advance
    Can you be a little more specific about 'night photography'? Do you mean low light (dusk/dawn), completely dark, etc.? Each specific situation will demand its own specific settings & set up.

completely dark. thanks in advance

JetPhotos.Net Crew

completely dark. thanks in advance
    Assuming a stationary subject, then all you'd really need is a tripod.

are any settings better than others? thanks in advance

JetPhotos.Net Crew

are any settings better than others? thanks in advance
    Not really. With a stationary subject and a tripod, motion blur at low shutter speeds shouldn't be an issue. Only thing I can think of is avoiding auto-ISO, but that's about it.

what would you need if they where taxing?

JetPhotos.Net Crew

A veeeery steady hand and lots of luck

These were my first (and only attempt) at night shooting. Equipment comprised of a good, solid tripod with a bluetooth shutter actuator to avoid any manually induced vibration. Settings were aperture priority, 100 ISO manually set, f8.

https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos...d&sort-order=0
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

thanks for the information but i don't think my camera has bluetooth, maybe one which is just plugged into the camera itself?

JetPhotos.Net Crew

thanks for the information but i don't think my camera has bluetooth, maybe one which is just plugged into the camera itself?
    No need for bluetooth, a timer delay for the shutter actuation should be built into all modern digital cameras.

These are my very first night shots....all in the last few days, taken at Luton....both the pics include the EXIF data - I think the exposure were 15 seconds or so

1. ALWAYS use ISO 100 (or lower if your camera supposrts it) to avoid noise.
    2. Obviously using a tripod - try not to zoom in too much, e.g. if using you 400mm lens because even the slightest movement at that length will show up, even on a tripod.
    3. Go for f7.1 and above for sharp and crisp shots and adjust your exposure time to make shot brighter or darker.
    4. I simply set my Canon for a 2 second delay after I push the fire button, which gives me time to move my hand away and any vibration dissipate before it opens the shutter.

Personally I like to tone down my white balance in post processing, as I prefer not to have the yellow tinged floodlights - I find the cooler colours give a better colour - see the very last picture below, you'll see what I mean.

Here are my night pics...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9437190

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9431079

These pics I hope to upload shortly...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3620-2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	415.2 KB 
ID:	28261

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	961.7 KB 
ID:	28262

Name:	IMG_3600-2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	795.5 KB 
ID:	28263

hello guys i had a photo just now rejected for invalid hot it was a fedex md-11 N595FE and i put in N959FE like an idiot. but i was just wanting to know if i can re-submit it? i'm pretty sure it's not aloud to keep posting the same picture over and over again so i'm just playing it safe. thanks in advance.

and if anybody wants the link then here it is https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7581470

JetPhotos.Net Crew

hello guys i had a photo just now rejected for invalid hot it was a fedex md-11 N595FE and i put in N959FE like an idiot. but i was just wanting to know if i can re-submit it? i'm pretty sure it's not aloud to keep posting the same picture over and over again so i'm just playing it safe. thanks in advance.

and if anybody wants the link then here it is https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7581470
    Not sure what your question is. You entered the reg. as N595FE which is correct. Is there a reason it should be considered hot?

hello i've got an email from a pilot wanting to see if he can use one of my photos. i'm happy to give it to him but just wondering what resolution is good? i know the higher resolution will bring out flaws so just wanting to know what is best. thanks in advance

here's the image https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9439299