Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakew04 - general questions

hello guys

i have a canon 70-300mm L IS and a 400mm F5.6 prime and the camera is a canon 7d

i would like to buy a tamron 100-400 because the 400mm prime is not very convenient but i was also wondering maybe just to buy another camera i'm not sure what camera i was thinking the 77d but maybe it would be best to get a full frame? like the 6d or the 5d mark II i don't know whats best so i was wondering what you guys think ?

i know the tamron for canon has the same image quality as the 300mm even when it's at 400mm

or any other options like the canon 100-400 mark I or a different camera i'm really looking for convenience

so tell me what you guys think thanks in advance

Originally posted by jakew04 View Post
    hello guys

i have a canon 70-300mm L IS and a 400mm F5.6 prime and the camera is a canon 7d

i would like to buy a tamron 100-400 because the 400mm prime is not very convenient but i was also wondering maybe just to buy another camera i'm not sure what camera i was thinking the 77d but maybe it would be best to get a full frame? like the 6d or the 5d mark II i don't know whats best so i was wondering what you guys think ?

i know the tamron for canon has the same image quality as the 300mm even when it's at 400mm

or any other options like the canon 100-400 mark I or a different camera i'm really looking for convenience

so tell me what you guys think thanks in advance
    You have the Canon 70-300L amazing lens , put it with a canon 6d mk 2 or canon 80d
    sell the 400 - never got a decent image from mine. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
      You have the Canon 70-300L amazing lens , put it with a canon 6d mk 2 or canon 80d
      sell the 400 - never got a decent image from mine. YMMV
      that's interesting i was looking at the 80d but do you think i could change it to a 77d there very similar

i can't get rid of my 400mm just for the reason that when i go to lakenheath i can't get close enough with my 70-300

thank you for the suggestions ill for sure look into the 80d or the 77d

Comment

that's interesting i was looking at the 80d but do you think i could change it to a 77d there very similar

i can't get rid of my 400mm just for the reason that when i go to lakenheath i can't get close enough with my 70-300

thank you for the suggestions ill for sure look into the 80d or the 77d
        Hi, just had a quick look at the retail (UK) prices of your current L lens. Assuming yours are in good condition you might be able to part ex or sell them and go with the excellent Canon 100-400 mkii? Thats an amazing lens, great IQ and IS. It takes the 1.4 convertor very well to.

Your 7d will get the job done in the meantime. I use full frame but thats driven by commercial work reasons. T

Comment

150-600mm Tamron or Sigma, latest generations. Affordable and pretty nice for good weather and light conditions.
          Or Canon 100-400L II, I own this and very satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_i85 View Post
            150-600mm Tamron or Sigma, latest generations. Affordable and pretty nice for good weather and light conditions.
            Or Canon 100-400L II, I own this and very satisfied.
            Ive owned the sigma 150-600 i don't like the weight and the iq at 600mm i would rather have a 100-400 canon like you said

thanks for the feedback

Comment

The 77D is indeed appealing. Even the buffer size is essentially identical to the 80D. Comparing the two I would pay attention to the following on the 77D:

1. inability to perform MFA in-camera
              2. build quality (closer to a Rebel or closer to a double-digit?)

Regards,

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
                The 77D is indeed appealing. Even the buffer size is essentially identical to the 80D. Comparing the two I would pay attention to the following on the 77D:

1. inability to perform MFA in-camera
                2. build quality (closer to a Rebel or closer to a double-digit?)

Regards,

Alex
                i don't want to sound like a idiot but what's mfa?

Comment

i don't want to sound like a idiot but what's mfa?
                  No need to feel foolish, it is not a popular subject. MFA is micro focus adjustment. It's the ability to compensate for a tendency to back or front focus for a given body-lens combination. As it turns out the AF system is open loop, so errors in body AF and in lens focusing mechanism could stack on top of each other if you're a bit unlucky. If that's the case, images from such a combination will be softer than they should be. MFA in-camera allows you to input a permanent bias that will make the entire system focus exactly at the desired distance. Previously people used to send their lenses and bodies to the manufacturer to have this done.

The significance of this is up for debate. But, considering the focal lengths often used in aviation photography and my recent experience with a new lens I would say definitely better to have this ability than not.

Edit: the above does not matter if shooting in Live View

Alex

Comment

I have the Tamron 150-600 mm lens .. you can get good results BUT it weighs a ton ;( . . plus I am starting to find the autofocus is not reliable.

I also found that I rarely used the 300 to 600mm range. I have just bought a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens which has had good reviews and it is so much lighter and easier to carry around.

Comment

Originally posted by Quebec Golf View Post
                      No need to feel foolish, it is not a popular subject. MFA is micro focus adjustment. It's the ability to compensate for a tendency to back or front focus for a given body-lens combination. As it turns out the AF system is open loop, so errors in body AF and in lens focusing mechanism could stack on top of each other if you're a bit unlucky. If that's the case, images from such a combination will be softer than they should be. MFA in-camera allows you to input a permanent bias that will make the entire system focus exactly at the desired distance. Previously people used to send their lenses and bodies to the manufacturer to have this done.

The significance of this is up for debate. But, considering the focal lengths often used in aviation photography and my recent experience with a new lens I would say definitely better to have this ability than not.

Edit: the above does not matter if shooting in Live View

Alex
                      oh ok thank you, do you think paying double for the 80d is worth it because of this reason?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingphilnewson View Post
                        I have the Tamron 150-600 mm lens .. you can get good results BUT it weighs a ton ;( . . plus I am starting to find the autofocus is not reliable.

I also found that I rarely used the 300 to 600mm range. I have just bought a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens which has had good reviews and it is so much lighter and easier to carry around.
                        yea im not a huge fan of the 150-600 lenses cause of the weight aswell

for range i need about 400 as you might know duxford is in a few days and for this one especially there will be a lot of solo acts which need 400mm or more it's the flying legends which is a shame cause i only have 300mm but most of the time i don't need to go above 300 aswell maybe like 90% 300mm is fine

i hope you like your new lens i heard good thinks about that one

Comment

hello guys i was thinking the canon 70-200 f2.8 mark II with a 2x teleconverter do you think that will work?

Comment

hello guys i was thinking the canon 70-200 f2.8 mark II with a 2x teleconverter do you think that will work?
                            As long as you are aware that a teleconverter will soften your images to some extent, and the 2x teleconverter will either reduce your autofocus points dramatically or not autofocus at all.

Comment

Trade in the 70-300 and 400 for a Canon 100-400 Mk2. It's a superb lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X