Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (arora7dm) - prescreening request / editing advice

Hello everyone:

For this rejected photo, I got the comment that it was Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and later that Editing halos were visible. I need some help on editing halos (understand where they are) to clean this up. Any help would be appreciated. It is not because of the small size that I had to compress it to post? Is it because of doing sharpening? Thanks!

Originally posted by arora7dm View Post
    Hello everyone:

For this rejected photo, I got the comment that it was Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and later that Editing halos were visible. I need some help on editing halos (understand where they are) to clean this up. Any help would be appreciated. It is not because of the small size that I had to compress it to post? Is it because of doing sharpening? Thanks!

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=7476107

There are halos around the aircraft. Not much you can do.

Comment

Hello everyone:

How did you bring the contrast up? Was it with Curves or some sort of automated tool?

Alex

Comment

Hello everyone:

With halos that severe, you must really be hammering it with something. You can either reprocess from the RAW file, or start from scratch with a different file. Make sure the D-lighting is turned off in your Nikon, and don't use any tools like clarity, vibrance, de-haze, shadow/highlight, etc.. when editing, and you should be able to avoid them in the future.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was using Darktable and used the basic group exposure and highlight reconstruction. Here's another image where I just lowered the exposure. I have D-lighting off, but shoot in raw, so it should not impact, right? Can you please let me know your thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ6_0678.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1041558

Thanks again.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was using Darktable and used the basic group exposure and highlight reconstruction. Here's another image where I just lowered the exposure. I have D-lighting off, but shoot in raw, so it should not impact, right? Can you please let me know your thoughts?[ATTACH=CONFIG]27183[/ATTACH]

Thanks again.
            Doesn't work for me. The photo is too dark and shows some signs of vignetting.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was using Darktable and used the basic group exposure and highlight reconstruction. Here's another image where I just lowered the exposure. I have D-lighting off, but shoot in raw, so it should not impact, right? Can you please let me know your thoughts?[ATTACH=CONFIG]27183[/ATTACH]

Thanks again.
              As Geri said, dark and vignetting, but editing halos still visible (though not as strong as previous version), and white balance is also off.

Comment

Thank you everyone for helping me learn and understand this. Can you please review 2 additional pictures as well? One is the same as the previous one, without any changes (just cropping) and the second one is a different image. If both of these are bad, then I will need to take some classes to understand how to do this the right way. This time instead of dark table, I am using Nikon's Capture-D. I did lens correction, so vignetting should be off and left the white balance at auto.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ6_0676_00001.jpg
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	1041584

Name:	NZ6_0678_00001.jpg
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	1041585

Comment

Thank you everyone for helping me learn and understand this. Can you please review 2 additional pictures as well? One is the same as the previous one, without any changes (just cropping) and the second one is a different image. If both of these are bad, then I will need to take some classes to understand how to do this the right way. This time instead of dark table, I am using Nikon's Capture-D. I did lens correction, so vignetting should be off and left the white balance at auto.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]27209[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]27210[/ATTACH]
                  1. dark/contrast, centering, vignetting, borderline overprocessed
                  2. dark/contrast, vignetting, dirty, borderline overprocessed

The overprocessing in this case is relatively minor for both (very light halos visible top of fusealge). The vignetting and flat light/underexposure would be the real killers if you were to submit the images.

Comment

Thank you again. Is it possible for me to attach my raw image and for you to really quickly show me some tips? I thought I would not have any vignetting because I cropped from the middle. In any case, I have decided to give up on this image. I will attach a different one for feedback.

Comment

Thank you again. Is it possible for me to attach my raw image and for you to really quickly show me some tips? I thought I would not have any vignetting because I cropped from the middle. In any case, I have decided to give up on this image. I will attach a different one for feedback.
                      You can contact me directly, and I can give you my email address if you'd like me to look at one of the RAW files.

Comment

(arora7dm) - prescreening request / editing advice

Hi:

I am starting a new thread because before I didn't have the right title. I will keep all future images to this thread, unless there's a way for me to change the subject of my other thread. This was my older thread:

Can you please share your thoughts on these images? Thank you so much.

Name:	20150124-1-D61_1246.jpg
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	1042018Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112-1-D61_5814.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1042019Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708-1-D61_7603.jpg
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	1042020

Comment

Hi:

I am starting a new thread because before I didn't have the right title. I will keep all future images to this thread, unless there's a way for me to change the subject of my other thread. This was my older thread:

Can you please share your thoughts on these images? Thank you so much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27723[/ATTACH]
                          1. vignetting, color, borderline dark/soft
                          2. contrast, centering, dirty
                          3. contrast, soft, dirty

Comment

First of all, thank you for combining the 2 threads together. And thanks for the feedback. I have tried to fix 1 and 2, please let me know the thoughts. 3 is soft, so cannot fix that. Also, can you please elaborate on dirty? I looked at the upload guidelines and was looking for sensor dust spots in the sky.. I have also added one more picture. Is this soft as well?

Name:	20150124-1-D61_1246-2.jpg
Size:	770.5 KB
ID:	1042040Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112-1-D61_5814-2.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1042041Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708-1-D61_7581.jpg
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	1042042

Comment

First of all, thank you for combining the 2 threads together. And thanks for the feedback. I have tried to fix 1 and 2, please let me know the thoughts. 3 is soft, so cannot fix that. Also, can you please elaborate on dirty? I looked at the upload guidelines and was looking for sensor dust spots in the sky.. I have also added one more picture. Is this soft as well?
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]27745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27747[/ATTACH]
                              1. soft
                              2. contrast/dark. not fixable.
                              3. contrast, dark, soft. not fixable.

Comment

Working...
                              X