Thread: Help with post-processing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help with post-processing

Hello everyone:

For this rejected photo, I got the comment that it was Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and later that Editing halos were visible. I need some help on editing halos (understand where they are) to clean this up. Any help would be appreciated. It is not because of the small size that I had to compress it to post? Is it because of doing sharpening? Thanks!

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=7476107

Quote Originally Posted by arora7dm View Post
    Hello everyone:

For this rejected photo, I got the comment that it was Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and later that Editing halos were visible. I need some help on editing halos (understand where they are) to clean this up. Any help would be appreciated. It is not because of the small size that I had to compress it to post? Is it because of doing sharpening? Thanks!

There are halos around the aircraft. Not much you can do.

Hello everyone:

How did you bring the contrast up? Was it with Curves or some sort of automated tool?

Alex

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Hello everyone:

With halos that severe, you must really be hammering it with something. You can either reprocess from the RAW file, or start from scratch with a different file. Make sure the D-lighting is turned off in your Nikon, and don't use any tools like clarity, vibrance, de-haze, shadow/highlight, etc.. when editing, and you should be able to avoid them in the future.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was using Darktable and used the basic group exposure and highlight reconstruction. Here's another image where I just lowered the exposure. I have D-lighting off, but shoot in raw, so it should not impact, right? Can you please let me know your thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ6_0678.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	27183

Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was using Darktable and used the basic group exposure and highlight reconstruction. Here's another image where I just lowered the exposure. I have D-lighting off, but shoot in raw, so it should not impact, right? Can you please let me know your thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Thanks again.
    Doesn't work for me. The photo is too dark and shows some signs of vignetting.

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Thanks again.
    As Geri said, dark and vignetting, but editing halos still visible (though not as strong as previous version), and white balance is also off.

Thank you everyone for helping me learn and understand this. Can you please review 2 additional pictures as well? One is the same as the previous one, without any changes (just cropping) and the second one is a different image. If both of these are bad, then I will need to take some classes to understand how to do this the right way. This time instead of dark table, I am using Nikon's Capture-D. I did lens correction, so vignetting should be off and left the white balance at auto.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ6_0676_00001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	27209

Name:	NZ6_0678_00001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	27210

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Thank you everyone for helping me learn and understand this. Can you please review 2 additional pictures as well? One is the same as the previous one, without any changes (just cropping) and the second one is a different image. If both of these are bad, then I will need to take some classes to understand how to do this the right way. This time instead of dark table, I am using Nikon's Capture-D. I did lens correction, so vignetting should be off and left the white balance at auto.

Name:	NZ6_0676_00001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	27209

Name:	NZ6_0678_00001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	27210
    1. dark/contrast, centering, vignetting, borderline overprocessed
    2. dark/contrast, vignetting, dirty, borderline overprocessed

The overprocessing in this case is relatively minor for both (very light halos visible top of fusealge). The vignetting and flat light/underexposure would be the real killers if you were to submit the images.