Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best program to deal with dust spots?

Hello,
    I'm wondering if there's any good and EASY program to remove dust spots? Currently I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional and there is tool to remove them but because there is no contrast changing like we have in pre-screening tool you must work on normal picture which makes job extremelly hard. I need to watch for dust spots at the pre-screen tool on Jetphotos queue then compare potential dust spot like "OK, left from cocpit, height of the tcas antenna" and then I'm trying to find that on real image at DPP. Photoshop is too expensive and some other programs are just too complicated, I need something simple and easy only to remove these bloody dust spots as everything else I'm able to do with DPP.
    Can you help me with that? I tried to google that but all results give me some hi-end professional programs that cost fortune and they are too complicated

Best regards,
    G

Originally posted by Galareta View Post
    Hello,
    I'm wondering if there's any good and EASY program to remove dust spots? Currently I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional and there is tool to remove them but because there is no contrast changing like we have in pre-screening tool you must work on normal picture which makes job extremelly hard. I need to watch for dust spots at the pre-screen tool on Jetphotos queue then compare potential dust spot like "OK, left from cocpit, height of the tcas antenna" and then I'm trying to find that on real image at DPP. Photoshop is too expensive and some other programs are just too complicated, I need something simple and easy only to remove these bloody dust spots as everything else I'm able to do with DPP.
    Can you help me with that? I tried to google that but all results give me some hi-end professional programs that cost fortune and they are too complicated

Best regards,
    G
    Current versions of Photoshop may be too expensive, but the older ones work just fine. My preferred version is 7-8 years old now and still more than adequate for the job.

Comment

GIMP is free and has Clone and Heal tools as well as an equalizer function that is very very close to what is used on JP.

Alex

Comment

I just tried out GIMP and found the equalize tool to be extremely useful. Although I am not sure how to change the equalized the image back to the normal photo once I have equalized and cloned the dust spots out. Please excuse my ignorance but I can't seem to find out how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timbrandt View Post
          I just tried out GIMP and found the equalize tool to be extremely useful. Although I am not sure how to change the equalized the image back to the normal photo once I have equalized and cloned the dust spots out. Please excuse my ignorance but I can't seem to find out how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
          Tim

You should be creating a duplicate layer of the background first, then run equalize on that, switch to the background layer, make fixes, delete equalized layer, repeat until spots are all fixed.

Comment

Hello Galareta,

I use Lightroom as my editing platform. There are tons of tools such as the one you're looking for to help with dust spots. It's worth the investment, and has helped me greatly. I still have plenty of time to improve my craft, but starting with Lightroom is a step in the right direction. Hope this helps!
            https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/114320

Comment

Tim

You should be creating a duplicate layer of the background first, then run equalize on that, switch to the background layer, make fixes, delete equalized layer, repeat until spots are all fixed.
              Thanks a lot, I tried that out and it worked perfectly. Glad to finally have found a free editing program to use to remove dust spots.

Comment

Originally posted by timbrandt View Post
                Thanks a lot, I tried that out and it worked perfectly. Glad to finally have found a free editing program to use to remove dust spots.
                Lightroom Free?
                www.edinburghairport.org.uk

View my Jetphotos:
                www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1753

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                  Lightroom Free?
                  In the first instance clean the sensor!

Hi Lightroom is under the Adobe suite of products and not free.. (free trial here: https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/ph...-download.html).

In any event it will NOT sort dust/crud in your images.

You MUST use another method IF you want your images to be accepted here.

Best remains Photoshop, however other programs can help. Your image = your choice.
                  Regards T
                  Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-08-15, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                    Lightroom Free?
                    Originally posted by 777MAN View Post

Hi Lightroom is under the Adobe suite of products and not free..
                    Thats correct, but GIMP is free.

As recommended in post nr 4 as an alternative to Photoshop and Lightroom.

Comment

Working...
                    X