Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smartwings Flies SMI-PRG on Single Engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    How very interesting...
    How very boring. I'll make a deal with you ATL: I will respect you as a flight captain if you will respect me as a member of an aviation forum and give up your eerie obsession into my private life, if for no other reason than that it's entirely irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      ...respect me as a very outspoken member of an aviation forum who is notably evasive on their amount of air travel and bicycle riding...
      It’s not your personal life we care about as much a few bits of ‘relevant’ experience to back up the pontification.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        ItÂ’s not your personal life we care about as much a few bits relevant experience to back up the pontification.
        I don't think he understands the difference.

Comment

I don't think he understands the difference.
          I don't think he understands the relevance. Is there a mininum of 'experience' needed to understand the safety issue here? Or would common sense suffice?

Comment

I don't think he understands the relevance. Is there a mininum of 'experience' needed to understand the safety issue here? Or would common sense suffice?
            It's not about experience, it's more that sometimes it's helpful to know where people's perspectives come from. You have a very pronounced dislike (not to use the other d-word) for the industry in general. I, for one, would be very curious what caused it.

Comment

It's not about experience, it's more that sometimes it's helpful to know where people's perspectives come from. You have a very pronounced dislike (not to use the other d-word) for the industry in general. I, for one, would be very curious what caused it.
              ATL, I have a pronounced dislike for industry in general because it tends to take a beneficial thing and, by disregarding everything in its path, most notably human dignity and the environment, turns it into a detrimental thing for the sole purpose of building private fortunes. There are rare exceptions however, and aviation is one of them. I have a great respect overall for commercial aviation as a well-regulated industry where a symbiosis between industry, regulation, craftmanship, professionalism and moral compunction have produced an exemplar of how industry could both serve society responsibly and profit from it. That is why I 'despise' those toxic elements that seek to erode and debase aviation wherever I see them. That includes everything from recklessly overconfident pilots monkeying with CB's in flight to Boeing executives cutting corners, subverting safety and shelving progress to prop up the short-term shareholder value. You see, if I didn't revere the industry, I wouldn't care. You don't see me going off on jeremiads about the gun industry or the fossil fuel industry or big tobacco because these industries are wretched to begin with. But, despite the primordial soup we seem to be intent on crawling back into, we can now jet around the stratusphere with impunity thanks to the miracle of the one industry that still reveals the true potential of cautious, considerate and sustainable human achievement. I consider that achievement sacred, so forgive me for disdaining those who obviously do not.

I hope that clears this up.

Comment

ATL, I have a pronounced dislike for industry in general because it tends to take a beneficial thing and, by disregarding everything in its path, most notably human dignity and the environment, turns it into a detrimental thing for the sole purpose of building private fortunes...I have a great respect overall for commercial aviation...profit from it...fossil fuel industry...wretched...jet around the stratosphere...
                Cool rant bro'

I'm just struggling a bit with the black and white leaning that 'industry bad and all profit...oil evil...aviation good' mindset.

Don't we burn a pretty decent amount of that oil stuff to build and fly aeroplanies? Seems to me that airlines are pretty wretched for their wanton use of said fossil fuels.

Shouldn't we all be riding bicycles? (I look forward to you suggesting some bicycle memory checklists)

And then we have the whole regional thing- which if you think about it- is one hell of a well-designed assault on pilot pay and corporate profit with full involvement from the big airlines.

By the way, 'dislike' is kind of absolute, whereas 'disdain' can describe a more subtle, general, ever-present tendency to admonish pilots and fundamentals. Oh sure, we admire what most pilots do most days, but the arrogant tone (e.g. Reckless, over-confident monkeys) too often sounds like someone who's never ridden a bicycle.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

NEW: An internal investigation conducted by Smartwings identified there was no systemic fault, but a crew error. The captain of the flight, at that time head of flight operations of Smartwings, is no longer head of flight operations, his deputy has now taken that position. The captain continues to fly for the airline and maintains privileges as instructor, examiner and TRE.
                  Two week earlier....

"The crew proceeded in accordance with the safety and operational procedures for these cases and the aircraft landed safely. The commander is one of the most experienced in the company, the crew was in control of the situation and certainly would not underestimate anything."
                  Acomment from an AvHerlad reader, which I totally agree:

An internal investigation reveals 'no systemic fault'.

The fault lay with the commander of the flight who is also head of flight operations, an instructor, examiner and TRE who did not know, or disregarded, the procedures of his own airline. And the sanction taken against him is to relieve him of his head of flight operations duties while he continues as a captain, instructor, examiner and TRE who does not know, or disregards, the procedures of his own airline?

I see.
                  Also: No systemic issue but we almost applaud his actions with the previous statement, and now saying it was just pilot error? How is that not-systemic?

The LEAST that can be done is demote the pilot to FO, put him under a re-training program, accept that the airline f*upped with that statement and make sure to everyone in the airline that this kind of stupid behavior is not tolerated. Otherwise, the airline should be banned, which is actually in the realm of possibilities.

Czechia's CAA is determined to ensure that such a decision is not taken again in the future and pledges very harsh penalties. Surrounding nations also show significant interest in the ongoing investigation, revocations of overflight permits are being discussed.
                  Now if THAT happens, that would be exemplary and a clear message.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Kind of reminds me of the PIA accident somehow...

On Jul 23rd 2020 Czechia's UZPLN released their final report in Czech only

The probable cause of the serious incident was following the loss of a propulsion unit a faulty decision making process by the aircraft commander that did not comply with the Quick Reference Handbook (QRH) and Flight Crew Training Manual (FCTM). These procedures are binding.

- obvious disregard and violation of application Operation Manual Air Traffic Procedures as well as application regulations, provisions and safety recommendations

- defective determination of a suitable aerodrome for safe landing with a failed engine following fuel pump failure

- poor implementation of fuel policy

The commander had accumulated 20,900 hours total flight time, was flight instructor and flight examiner and was flight director of his operator for more than 15 years. As such he had great aviation knowledge and experience. He had approved binding documents like OM, QRH, FCTM, FCOM for his operator. It is thus difficult to understand that during one flight he ignored, violated and denied the obligations resulting from the binding OM, QRH, FCTM and FCOM as well as regulations and safety recommendations. The decision making process by the commander did not proceed according to the defined QRH NNC procedures.

It was not possible to satisfactorily assess the influence of the corporate attitude and management culture onto the decision making process. It was also not possible to determine satisfactorily whether and how economic aspects affected the commander's decisions.

Although the commander stated in his resignation message that he did not decide based on economic considerations there was a discrepancy between the actual execution of the flight and the termination message.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      http://avherald.com/h?article=4cbe8434&opt=0

Kind of reminds me of the PIA accident somehow...
                      Yes! Inveterate hubris I suspect. Something that has killed so many.

Comment

Yes! Inveterate hubris I suspect. Something that has killed so many.
                        Not only that: Top pilot of the airline, the ase of the base, the hot shot, the boss, who approves the procedures and manuals but then flies and encourage others to fly in a inveterate hubris way, setting up the (un)safety culture of the airline.

Comment

Working...
                        X